Born Into Bad News

Yn's POV

"Archie, I said we'll talk about it later. I'm at work" I say as I walked into the bullpen. "I think we should talk about it now. Our wedding is in one month, and you're deciding you want to break up? I don't believe you. Is someone making you do this" Archie asked. "No. I just thought about what I want, and I'm sorry Archie, but it's not you. Back when we got together, we were both single, and I think we just wanted to find someone to love, so we looked close by" I say.

"Yn, I think your therapist is putting things in your head" Archie said. At that moment, I realized that everyone in the office was watching us. "Arch, like I said before, we'll talk later" I say. "No. We're going to talk now. Ever since you had sex with Yates, you've shunned me. Did you like being with him" Archie asked. Tears gathered in my eyes as I stepped forward, slapping Archie hard across the face. "Fuck you, Archie" I say before running into the locker room.

About a minute later, Jay joined me. "Hey. What was all of that about" he asked me. "I broke things off with Archie. Going to see a therapist has helped me see what I really want in life, and it's not Archie. I just wish he'd understand that" I say. "Well, he's gone, and we've got a new case, so Voight wants everyone in the bullpen" Jay said. "Okay. Lead the way" I say and stand up.

"Commander Perry's nephew is caught up with some bad police out in Jackson Park. This is Sergeant Dave Roland and his Narcotics Unit. Over the past year, they've been ripping off drug dealers in their jurisdiction. Until last week when they crossed into our backyard and robbed a stash house for 200k" Voight said. "I got a buddy from high school that used to work out that way as a sheriff's deputy. He said the motto on the side of the Jackson Park patrol car should read, 'To Steal and Neglect'" Antonio said. 

"Sergeant Roland used to be CPD. Some of you may recognize his name. His father was Deputy Chief. He had his son placed in Narcotics straight out of the academy. Everybody knew he was bad news back then. He got jammed up and had excessive force charges. Before he could get stripped, his old man had him shipped out to Jackson Park to save his career" Voight said. "Carter has been a patrol officer out there the past two years. Nothing but high marks. About six months ago, he got assigned to Roland's Narcotics unit. We thought it'd be a career changer for him" Perry said. "Listen, it's just a matter of time before Roland and his unit realize Carter isn't one of them" Voight said.

Later that day, we arrested Roland and his whole crew and brought them back to the district. "How'd it go" I ask as Voight came back from the hearing. "Well, they hired Joe the Shark as their lawyer. That should give you some idea" Voight replied. "So they're going to walk" Adam asked. "For now. We need to get Carter and Lindsay on record, or we don't have a case" Voight said as Bunny walked upstairs. "Can I help you with something, Bunny?" "I just dropped by to see Erin" Bunny said. "She's not here" Voight said.

"Okay, well, I want to leave here something. I had this framed for her" Bunny said and showed us a picture of Erin and Nadia. "They look like sisters, don't they?" Jay looked over and met my gaze, knowing that whenever someone brought up Nadia, I got upset. "I'm fine" I mouth to him. "You sure" he mouthed back. I nodded.

"You're sick" Voight said to Bunny. "I'm sick? Okay, Hank. Tell me what I did wrong this time" Bunny said. "Erin is grieving. She's in a vulnerable space, but that's exactly where you want her, isn't it? Easier for you to get your hooks into her? Don't ever come back here" Voight said. "You know who's sick? You are sick. They are best friends, and you're making this about me" Bunny asked. "Get her out of here" Voight said to Antonio. "Uh, sir? Commander Perry is on the line for you" Adam said as Bunny left the bullpen.

That same night, Commander Perry was shot and killed. Luckily, Carter was injured, but he was going to be fine. However, we now had to change our case. "I just got off the phone with Commander Perry's wife, Jeanette. The man retires after 30 years, and a few months later, he's gunned down in the street. Anyway, I'll get you all details on the services when I get them" Platt said. "Thanks, Trudy" Voight said.

Minutes later, Antonio spoke up. "I reached out to a CI of mine and got a location on the Latin King Carter was talking about. Drugstore is in the city. Turns out he's hold up in The Cave" Antonio said. "That club over on the Westside" Voight asked. "Yeah, it's being protected by his uncle. High up in the Chicago Kings. This won't be our typical snatch and grab" Antonio said. "All right, everyone, suit up" Voight said.

............................................

"Everybody clear out of here. CPD" Voight shouted. We let everyone except the members of the Latin Kings leave the club, and we had our guns trained on all of them. Voight picked up a torch and held Drugstore down. "Did you go after Carter because he robbed you, or because Roland gave you orders" Voight asked. Drugstore didn't respond, so Voight pressed the torch to his chest. "Okay, it was Roland! He made us a deal" Drugstore said. "What kind of deal" Voight asked. "Roland said he'd put a drug case on us. Bury us in Statesville for 20 years. All we had to do was take out that snitch, Carter. He said they'd take care of the other bitch themselves" Drugstore said. "What bitch" Voight asked. "Some lady cop he said set them up" Drugstore replied. "Oh shit. Erin" I say.

By the time we got to Erin's apartment, Sean and Kevin had already taken care of things, and Erin was fine. The only thing left to do was take care of Roland, and Voight had that covered. "Before everyone leaves, can we talk" I ask Jay, Antonio, and Adam. "Sure. What's up Yn" Antonio asked. "I just wanted to say sorry about what happened earlier with Archie. You guys didn't need to hear any of that" I say. "It's okay. Besides, getting to see you break up with Archie for the second time made my day" Jay said. "You guys are the best. I love you all" I say. "We love you too Yn" Adam said. "I'd say this calls for a group hug" Jay said and hugged me first. I loved the feeling of being in his arms. Adam and Antonio then piled themselves on, and I smiled. I loved this unit, and I was glad that they had my back whenever I needed them.