Turn the Light Off

Yn's POV

I walked into the district with my earbuds in and my eyes glued to my phone. I was waiting for a very important text, and I couldn't afford to miss it. I was so focused on my phone that I bumped right into someone. I would have fallen to the floor, but the person I bumped into caught me and pulled me towards them to keep my balanced. I looked up and was met with the eyes of my co-worker Jay Halstead. We were so close together that I was pretty sure he could smell the spearmint from my gum on my breath.

"Sorry for bumping into you" I say. "It's no problem" Jay said. We then just stood there, Jay's arms wrapped around my waist to keep me upright. For some unknown reason, Jay didn't let me go, and I didn't want to be let go. "Uh, guys? I don't want to interrupt whatever the hell is going on here, but we've got a robbery case upstairs" Antonio said. "Right. Lets go then" I say and pull myself out of Jay's arms.

"All right, Perko has been with the company for two years. He's got no criminal record, but he did have a juvie one. Perko and his brother Dominik got pinched at 15 on a drug conspiracy for selling meth. He had a mandatory release at 18 and stayed on the straight and narrow, but the brother kept dealing for a Croatian gang, the Two-Threes. The brother is currently serving eight years at Stateville" Erin said. "Okay. So they had six video cameras, which you'd think would be aces, right? But, as you can see, cameras one and two, the crew stays too far out of frame to be of any useful identification. Three and four, they stay out of frame all together. And on five, they keep their backs to the camera. And six, the one camera that they can't avoid, well, it's conveniently obscured by the gate" Jin said.

"There's no way this isn't an inside job" I say. "I talked to the dicks over at Area South. One of the canvassing detectives interviewed a trucker who said that he saw a panel van fleeing the scene" Al said. "Tags" Voight asked. "Nothing. Except he saw two of the guys remove their masks. Now, he didn't get a good look at their faces, but he said they were both Caucasian males" Al said. "So Perko lied. The old 'black guys did it' defense" Voight said. "He's in the E.R. at Chicago Med" Antonio said. "Yeah, I'd like first crack at this one, boss" Mia said. "Are you looking to prove yourself, Sumner" Voight asked. "I'm ready to grill him till he rolls" Mia said. "Good. Take Antonio with you" Voight said.

............................................

"Dennis Novak from East Pilsen? Look, his crew sells kush, x, whatever they're calling junk these days. He's a low-level jab slinger. It's way out of his league" Voight said. "Perko is telling the truth" Mia said. "Okay. Reach out to your CI's, the Hypes, the Lot Lizards. Find out where in my city this guy thinks he can hide" Voight said. We found where Novak usually stays, but the only thing inside were a bunch of dead bodies, all recently killed. There was one guy at the house who didn't belong though because we found one guy who was Colombian, not Croatian.

"The Colombians are going scorched earth on this" Voight said. "Literally. I think they were hoping to torch Perko in his car along with everything with him. I managed to put out the flames before his cell phone was destroyed" Al said. "I thought you said you believed Perko" Voight said to Mia. "About the Croatian gang, yeah. But this Colombian thing, I don't know how it adds up" Mia said. "I've got a theory. Perko knows about the $8 million coming in and decides it's time to set up his retirement fund. He hires his old Croatian friends to come and take it. The only problem is, the Colombians found out and decided to rob the robbers" Antonio said. 

"Okay, but how did the Colombians find out" I ask. "Perko's cell had the same number call it the last 11 times" Jin said. "Call the state and line up a judge. Start writing up a warrant for that phone" Voight said to Jin. "I don't need to. The calls all came from inside Stateville prison" Jin said. Antonio and Voight then left to speak to Perko's brother, who was the one he kept calling, and they came back with new information.

"Score one for the home team. Miguel Ortega has been visited nine times and made four phone calls to his main man in the Latin Kings, Rolo Ramirez. And these are his active lieutenants" Jin said and put some pictures up on the whiteboard. "Whoa. Whoa. That's the homeless guy. The torcher" Adam said and pointed to one of the guys. "This guy? You sure" Voight asked. "I'm certain, boss" Adam said. "You're the Latin Kings. You rob the robbers and get away with 8 mill. Why waste Perko" Antonio asked. "Well, you wouldn't do it unless he knew something he wasn't supposed to" Erin said. "But he was tied to the Croatians, not the Colombians" Antonio said. "What's the nationality of the name Gonzalez" I ask and gesture to the witness at the bank robbery. "It's not Croatian."

Al and Voight went to talk to Gonzalez, and they came back with info on how to get to Rolo Ramirez. "Rolo just ordered two hookers. They get picked up and dropped off at a location, so we're going to put a cop in with one of their whores" Voight said. "I'll do it" Kim said. "Okay. Go get dressed. The rest of us suit up and get ready for the meet. Let's go" Voight said. Erin got in contact with Nadia, who agreed to go in with Kim so that she wouldn't be alone. The rest of us would be waiting outside for Kim's signal.

As soon as Kim called us, we all climbed out of our cars with our gear on. Adam used the ram to bust the door down, and right as he did, we all walked inside with our guns raised. "Police! Let me see your hands" Jay shouted. One of the men grabbed Nadia and put a gun to her head, but Kim was nowhere to be found. Voight came around from the back and was able to get Nadia free. "I'm going to find Kim" I say and separate from the group.

I found Kim in the bathtub, and a man jumped out the window just as I did. "Are you injured" I ask her. "Go! Just go" Kim said to me. I climbed out of the window and jumped into the gangway. Right away, the man punched me in the eye. I swung my fist in an attempt to hit him in the face, but he grabbed me roughly and shoved me into the wall of the house before running away. "Target on the move! Front of the house" Mia said into the radio. "Torcher, the assassin. He's fleeing south on foot" I say and struggle to get up.

The torcher managed to get away, but the guy we caught told us where the 8 million was. "You okay" Jay asked as we looked at my eye, which I could feel swelling up. "I should be asking you that" I say and gesture to the cuts on his face. Just then, my phone started ringing, and I looked to see that an unknown number was face timing me. I accepted the call, and my brother's face popped up on the screen.

"Hey baby sis. It's been too long" my brother said. "I know Ollie. I miss you so much" I say. "What happened to your eye" Ollie asked. "Oh, you know, police things" I say. "How's work? I heard you got promoted" Ollie said. "It's amazing. Homicide was nice, but Intelligence is a whole new level when it comes to kicking ass" I say and look up, meeting Jay's eyes. "Ollie, there's actually someone I want you to meet." I grabbed Jay's arm and gently pulled him over to where I was standing. "This is Jay Halstead. He works with me in the unit. He was a ranger in Afghanistan" I say. "It's nice to meet you. Yn talks about you a lot" Jay said. "Really? She was always closer to Chloe, our older sister" Ollie said. "Only because you weren't around a lot when I was a teenager. Chloe was. Besides, we're close now, and that's all that matters" I say.

"Yn, I've got to get back to some paperwork, but we'll talk later, okay" Jay said. "Okay" I say. "Anyways, it was nice meeting you" Jay said to Ollie. "You too" Ollie said as Jay walked away. I smiled at Jay as he left because he really was becoming my best friend in the unit. "So, when are you going to ask him out" Ollie asked. "What" I ask. "I saw the way you looked at him. You like him. So, what's the deal. Is he taken? Does he have a bad habit? What is it" Ollie asked. "Um, nothing, but I have a boyfriend, remember" I say. "Oh yeah. You're still dating Archie" Ollie said. "Yeah, and I am going to continue dating Archie. I love him" I say. "Whatever you say Yn. Whatever you say" Ollie said.