Trust

Yn's POV

Going to fundraisers and mayoral debates and dinner parties was not my thing. I wasn't really interested in politics, and what made it even worse was that we had to dress up in our fancy police outfits. Tonight's event was in support of Brian Kelton, one of the candidates for mayor, and also former police and current Superintendent of the CPD.

"I hate these outfits. They always feel so stuffy" I say.

"Well, how about when this is all over, we go back to the apartment and take them off" Jay suggested and winked at me.

"You are literally the best boyfriend ever. I don't know how you do it, but you always seem to be reading my mind" I say.

"What can I say. It's a trait I've picked up over the years" Jay said.

"So, onto other things. I'm assuming you know about Hailey and Adam now" I say.

"Yeah. Hailey told me during our last case. How long have you known" Jay asked me.

"Oh. I've known since they first slept together" I say.

"What? How" he asked me.

"What can I say. It's a trait I've picked up over the years" I say, mimicking his line from earlier.

Jay smiled and wrapped his arm around me. "I love you" he said and pecked my cheek.

"I love you too. Can I also just say that you look very attractive in your blues" I say.

"Me looking attractive in this? You've got to be joking" Jay said.

"What was that thing I said awhile back? Something about being attracted to first responders" I bring up.

"Right. I do remember that. Have you ever dated anyone outside of the police force" Jay asked.

"Yeah. Back in my patrol days, I dated a firefighter. We only lasted for about 2 months though" I say.

Just then, Kim and Kevin walked over to us. "We've got a new case. Adam, Hailey, and Voight are already at the scene" Kevin said.

"What? But they just left like 2 minutes ago. How can they be there already" I ask.

"The victim is defense attorney Bernie Hoffman. He left from here about 10 minutes ago. His house is right around the corner. Lets go" Kim said.

...................................................

"What do you got" Voight asked Adam.

"Well, the wife's jewelry box was rifled through and a few drawers were tossed, but there's no sign of Hoffman's cell phone. I looked high and low" Adam responded.

"And the techs swabbed Mrs. Hoffman for GSR. She's clean. They also did a quick test on the thirty-aught-six. It has not been fired" Jay added.

"And the shell casings are from a 9-millimeter" I say.

"You know, there's no sign of forced entry, so either the offender pulled off some kind of ruse, or Mr. Hoffman knew the attacker, was having a meeting in here, and things went south" Jay said.

"Well, I'd say real south because his jaw is broken" I inform them.

"How do you know" Jay asked me.

"Now's probably also the time to mention I used to date a paramedic" I explain to Jay.

"Well, we know what kind of people Bernie reps. Start with his clients" Voight said.

Back at the district, the case was already taking off. We had our white board set up with multiple pictures and facts, and all of our desks were littered with file folders containing information. I took a seat on top of my desk in the one spot that wasn't cluttered, and folded my arms across my chest, waiting for the presentation to start.