End of Watch

Y/n's POV

"Adam, hey," I breathe out and hug my partner. "You okay? I could only think the worse when Jay said we had to leave cause you were involved in a case."

"I'm fine," Adam assured me. "You guys get anything on the car?"

Jay shook his head. "It was stolen. No sign of it yet."

"And I talked to a few witnesses. None of them had a good description of the offenders," I add.

"All right, check PODs and cameras," Voight instructed. "Maybe we'll get lucky on facial rec."

"Okay. See you guys at the district tomorrow morning," I say. The next morning, all of us got to work to continue working on our newest robbery case. And it just so happened that Detective Sal Ortiz was joining us. He had been working this case for the past few weeks, so Voight had called for him to work the case with us.

"So we've got three offenders," Sal started. "The shells from the jewelry store hit matched the weapon in all three prior robberies."

"Was anyone killed in those?" Jay asked.

"No. The security guard's our first victim. Now, these guys like high-end, especially watches," Sal continued. "Stuff like expensive Rolexes and Pateks. They're definitely dumping them though. We found one of the Pateks on eBay. They always wear the rubber skull masks. The lead skull carries a semiauto. Skull number two does the smash-and-grab with a mini sledgehammer. And skull number three, that's the driver."

"They always steal vehicles?" Voight implored.

"Every one of them," Sal replied. "They must be getting them through a chop shop quick. Getting lucky on PODs, I don't know."

"Well, their luck just ran out," Kim announced. "Patrol found their getaway vehicle abandoned in Pilsen."

"Okay, good. Y/n, you and Adam check it out," Voight ordered.

"So, what did you have to do to get Detective Ortiz to work with us on this one? Bribe him? That guy is like a legend," I point out.

"I've known him since I was a kid," Adam admitted as we got to the lobby. "And hey, I'm a very likeable person. If I didn't know him, I could've easily gotten him to join us."

"Well, I've been your official partner for, what, 6 years, give or take? And that's including all of the times we were partnered together but worked with other people when we were sorting out some issues. So I will agree with the likeable thing. But I still don't think you'd be able to swing Detective Ortiz to work with us," I comment, causing Adam to push me away playfully.

"Hey, Y/n," Platt greeted. "Can you give me a second with Officer Ruzek?"

"He is all yours, Sergeant," I tell her and turn to Adam, taking the keys from his hand. "I'll be waiting in the car."

............................................

"Did you actually read this new chase directive?" Adam quizzed as we exited his car. "I feel like we get a new directive every week now."

"It was two paragraphs," I recall. "So yeah, I managed to make it through."

"What'd it say?" Adam questioned. "That I've got to ask permission to chase bad guys?"

"The point's just de-escalation," I notify him as we approached the CSI. "And don't worry. I'm sure your meeting with IAD will go fine. Just explain what happened and then they'll let you off the hook."

"Okay, so, I'm not a trained narcotic canine, but my nose never fails me. I thought the vehicle smelled like cat pee at first, but there's no cat hair. And you know what has the same odor as cat pee? Raw crystal meth. I found this plastic meth packet under the driver's seat," the CSI informed us and handed over an evidence bag. I also pulled a print, and it's definitely not from the retired librarian who owns this car."