Silence of the Night

Yn's POV

I was waiting for Jay by the front door of the garage of the district. We had driven in separate cars today because I had to stop by my parents' house for something this morning, and I wanted to let Jay sleep in. When he finally pulled up to the district and exited his truck, I saw that he was on the phone. By the way he was smiling when he talked, I could tell who he was having a conversation with.

"Is that Hailey?" I ask him as he joined me by the door.

"Yep. And she just asked to talk to you," Jay replied and handed me his phone.

"Hailey! I miss you so much," I tell my best friend.

"I miss you too. How's everything going?" Hailey asked me.

"Uh, good. We've solved a few major cases, put away some bad guys. You know, the usual. And of course, Adam is still a goof and everyone else is doing good. Jay is amazing, like always. Everything is perfect except for the fact that you're not here," I explain.

"I'll be home soon, and then we can head to Molly's and drown ourselves in alcohol," Hailey joked.

"I'm counting on it," I say.

"All right, well, I've got to get to work. I'll talk to you later," Hailey spoke.

"Okay. Bye, Hailey," I murmur and hang up the phone, passing it back to Jay as we joined the rest of the team in the garage.

"Take us through," Voight told Adam and Kim. 

"All right. Three months ago, an unlicensed mini Uzi was used by a deranged white male in a black church shooting. Now, luckily for us, nobody was seriously injured. A week ago, the same type of Uzi was used in a drive-by at a G-Park Lord's funeral. We got two dead. The shooter was caught, but he lawyered up," Adam informed us. 

"OCD Intel says the Uzis were stolen in Indiana and then transported into town. Our top priority target is this guy, Tony Reed, part-time biker, part-time alt-right agitator. He did two stints in Danville for meth distro before pivoting into guns. Now, Tony, he stays in the shadows and relies on these small-time punks to distribute the weapons, like this guy, JHawk261, who posted that charming photo on Instagram two days ago," Kim said. 

"And we've got Kev in play as a buyer. The plan is we bust this JHawk and get him to flip on Reed," Voight announced. 

"Yeah, I'm fronting as a big dog for the 88th Street Vipers. My vibe is, he likes selling to brothers because he feels like we're just going to wipe each other out, help his cause anyway. We've got a get-to-know-you offer for five Uzis on the table, the meeting's in two hours, and I can't wait," Kevin admitted. 

"All right, as soon as Kev makes the sale, we move in fast. He reaches for a weapon, light his ass up. Let's go," Voight ordered.

Things went bad pretty quickly. Kevin got inside the warehouse with JHawk, and things were going according to plan, until some white dude walked in. I didn't recognize him, but Adam and Voight did. His name was Tommy Doyle, and he was a cop. Apparently, on one of the cases we had that I took a break on, this dude held a gun to Kevin's head while he was undercover. So, Doyle cancelled the deal when he saw Kevin, and the only good news was that he didn't rat Kevin out.

"What the hell was that?" Kevin asked. 

"I spoke to Platt. Apparently, Area South's got Doyle working undercover with Tony Reed's crew," Adam answered.

"But Doyle's patrol," Kevin pointed out.

"He got promoted to detective," Voight said. 

"Why didn't Area South deconflict this?" Kevin questioned.