Get My Cigarettes

Yn's POV

"I'm just saying, Jay, you've got a target on your head and you don't seem all that phased" Adam said. "Overseas, my unit and I, we always had a bounty on us" Jay said. "Most gangs only pay 10 G for a cop. If you're really worth 100, I should take you out myself. Pay off my mortgage" Antonio said. "Yeah. That could pay for my wedding and honeymoon" I say. "Try it" Jay said. "I could take you out in a second Halstead" I say. "In your dreams Ln" Jay said.

"A coke dealer one time put a million dollar tag on me and Voight" Al said. "What? How'd you handle that" Adam asked. "Well, you dust yourself. Never go home the same way twice. Run red lights. If a car follows you through one, you chamber a round and you handle business" Al said. "All right. This is Billy Fagan. Small time hood had ties to a local outfit. I've run into him a couple of times. This is Billy Fagan seven hours ago" Voight said and put up a picture of a dead body. "Organized crime found a dollar bill pinned to his chest. They looked into the serbians and the cartels, but they're coming up empty." "Are we taking this from organized crime because he was your poker buddy" Erin asked. "Start reaching out to your C. I.'s. You got a sec" Voight asked Erin. She nodded and walked into Voight's office, closing the door behind her.

Minutes later, we got the call that there was another dead body with a one dollar bill pinned to his chest. The man's name was Nick Marcello, and apparently Voight knew him. Voight and Antonio went to talk to Nick's wife, and after they did, Voight had us all meat up at a lumber yard.

"Brent Norelli. Assault, armed robbery. Even did six months at the Cook County psych ward. Norelli inherited this lumber yard from his old man, but it's just a front. He just broke off from the outfit old-timers, but he's already making plays for some of their rackets. Let's go" Voight said. We sneaked into the lumber yards main building where guys were using a forklift to move some boxes.

"Chicago Police! Freeze" Jay shouted. All of the guys stopped what they were doing and raised their hands up. The forklift jerked to a stop, and one of the boxes fell off. When the box hit the ground, it exploded open and pills, along with a white dust, spilled from it. "This is 10 years worth of oxy" Antonio said. "Where's Norelli" Voight asked one of the workers. "He's in the store room" the man replied. We all walked over to the store room, and as soon as Antonio knocked, bullets were flying through the door. When Norelli stopped to reload his gun, Antonio placed his gun through a hole in the door and shot at Norelli. Norelli fell, meaning it was safe to enter the room. Upon entering, Kevin walked over to Norelli and ripped his shirt open revealing a kevlar vest. "Nice vest" Kevin said before handcuffing him.

Back at the station, Norelli's alibi checked out, so we had to keep digging. "One blast of double ought buckshot killed both Fagan and Marcello. No shells were found at either murder. Crime scene estimates the killer's height based on blood splatter to be 5'10", which narrows it down" Jay said. "There was no forced entry to any of the doors or windows in Marcello's building. There's a fire escape in the back, but it doesn't lead to the roof. You'd have to climb up from there, which is not an easy feat. It's the only way that somebody could've come and gone unnoticed" I say. "How many shotgun murders have we seen before these" Al asked Voight. "Two" Voight replied. "All right, so it's got to be a pro" Al said. "Or a redneck" Kevin added. "Pro redneck. I'm calling it" Jay said.

.......................................

"So I did financial forensics on our two shotgun victims" Adam said. "No you didn't. You had someone else do them" I say. "Whatever Yn. Anyways, Fagan and Marcello were partners in a shell company. Maxwell Investments. They're loan sharks. Their latest client just signed over his dry cleaning business a week ago. One Dale Hansen. He owned Fine Choice cleaners. There are two locations, one on North Broadway, a second on West Belmont" Adam said. "All right, Antonio and Halstead, go pay this dry cleaner a visit" Voight said.

That same day, there was another murder, but this time, we had a witness. "The shotgun shell that was found in the garage was a 10-guage. We're looking into the lot number to see where it was bought" Jay said. "Did you run a check on Dale Hansen" I ask. "Yeah. He hasn't bought a shotgun. Legally" Jay said.

Later at night, I was at home watching a movie with Archie. I was pressed tightly against his side and there was a bowl of popcorn between us. Suddenly, my phone buzzed, and I looked to see that I had gotten a text from Jay. "I've got to go" I say and stand up. "What? But we just got to the good part" Archie said. "I know, but this is important. I promise we'll finish the movie later" I say. "Is it Jay or Adam" Archie asked me. "What" I ask. "Oh, you know, the hot guys that you work with. If you want to be with one of them, then just tell me" Archie said. "Archie, if I liked one of them, then I wouldn't have gotten engaged to you. Jay's apartment was just broken into, so I'm going to see if he's okay. We're just friends. Nothing more. I promise" I say.

The next morning, I got to work and took a seat at my desk. "Guys? Does this mean anything to you" Adam asked and put a picture on the board. I guess Adam had finally managed to get the new suspect drawing software working so that he could get Colette, the witness, to describe the killer. "That's the kid from the hospital. That's Dale Hansen's son" Jay said.

.........................................

"Nate Hansen was enrolled at the Union Hill Military Academy in Arizona. His TAC officer says he was first in his class but three days ago, he disappeared. That was the day after his mother overdosed" Erin said. "I just checked with the school's armory. They're missing a Browning gold 10-gauge along with a box of shells" I say. "Let's grab this kid up" Voight said.

Nate was nowhere to be found, however, a woman told us a kid matching Nate's description stole her car, and we tracked the car to the hospital where Nate's mom was. At the hospital. Jay managed to talk to Nate, and we were able to get him back to the station.

Once my shift was over and I was packing up, Jay walked over to me. "Hey. I'm sorry about dragging you to my apartment the other day" Jay said. "It's okay. Archie was pissed at me for it, but I don't care because you're my friend" I say. "Archie was pissed" Jay asked me. "Yeah. He hates that I work with such handsome men at work" I say and sling my bag over my shoulder. "So he thinks I'm handsome" Jay said. "He's not the only one who thinks that. Don't tell Archie I called you hot though or he's going to freak. I'll see you tomorrow Jay" I say. "See you tomorrow Yn" Jay said.