Made a Wrong Turn

Yn's POV

"So I told my cousin about you the other day" Adam said as we walked into the district. "Yeah" I ask. "Yeah. He said you sounded amazing, and he'd love to go out with you some time" Adam said. "Tell your cousin he sounds like a great guy, but I don't want to date anyone right now" I say. "All right. I'll make sure he gets the message" Adam said. "Jeez. Why is it so hot in here" I ask and fan myself with my hand. "The whole city was hit with a heat wave. It's hot everywhere" Adam said as we got upstairs.

I walked over to my desk and plopped down, but the material of my chair just made me even more hot, so I sat on top of my desk along with everyone else. Al got the AC running just as Voight walked into the bullpen. "Okay, who's up" he asked. "All right, Nathan Ward, 24 years old. He's an engineering student. His fiancée, Sarah Murphy, also 24. She's a special needs teacher in Northbrook. Now, they have no priors, no convictions, no arrests. Between the two of them, they don't even have a moving violation" Adam said. "We put out a missing persons alert for Sarah. In the meantime, Kot signed off on the emergency order for her cell phone, so Mouse is trying to ping it right now" Jay said. "Yeah, what about the car's GPS" Voight asked. "That's going to be a while. The guy at the tech lab was bitching about lack of manpower. I'm going to stay on him" Jay said.

"What if it wasn't a carjacking? I mean, maybe they just wanted to score. The car was three blocks away from 290. That's the heroin highway" Kevin said. "Yeah, but dealers don't assault their customers. Suburbanites are their bread and butter" Antonio said. "And we didn't find any drugs or 'paraphenalia' in the car" Jay said. "'Paraphernalia'. There's an R in there. A lot of people miss it" Antonio said. "Okay, 'Hooked on Phonics.' You want to step outside" Jay asked playfully. "Let's go" Antonio said and stood up.

"Uh, that was Dr. Choi" Erin said as she hung up the phone. "Sarah Murphy's parents are with Nathan down at Med." "You and Jay" Voight said. Erin and Jay nodded and left the bullpen while the rest of us stayed put. "All right. The rest of you, get to work. Find out anything we can about why Nathan and Sarah were parked where they were. And try to get any possible leads on where Sarah Murphy is" Voight said.

.................................................

After talking to some of the people in the neighborhood, Kevin got something. He said the guy he talked to said that if a car was picked clean around here, it'd go to Loo's Liquor over on 15th and Laramie, so Adam and I headed over to check it out. As soon as we got there, there was a boy trying to sell a phone. When he saw us, he tried to book it, but Adam caught him before he could leave.

"Hey kid, where'd you find this phone" I ask. "Found it in the street" the boy replied. "Yeah, how old are you" I ask. "15" he said. "15? All right, right now you are looking at attempted murder" Adam said. "Don't forget kidnapping" I add. "Right. Kidnapping. So what do you think, Yn? He'd be about 45 by the time he gets out of Stateville, unless you start telling the truth" Adam said to the boy. "Listen, man" the boy said. "Hey, not man. Look at me. I'm not here to sell you ice cream. You need to understand the seriousness of your situation" Adam said. "I found it in that car, Officer" the boy said. "Okay, hey, don't lie to me. Do you know what happened to this girl? Keep it real" I say and show him a picture of Sarah. "No. The dude she was with though, I saw him down the block talking to Hudson" he said. "Okay, who's Hudson" Adam asked.

Michael Hudson was a heroin dealer down in South Austin. He admitted that he sold heroin to Nathan Murphy a few times, but when he bought one time, he used fake money. So, when Nathan came back for more, Hudson beat him up. A while later, Mouse had something. Sarah's step tracker had a GPS, so he tracked that GPS to a railyard.

Me, Jay, Erin, and Antonio along with Voight headed down to the railyard where a canine officer and a security guard met up with us. "What do you got" Voight asked. "Local kids, they're always down here, drinking and screwing, and we're always having to chase off the homeless" the man said. "Come on, seek" the female officer told her dog. Seconds later, we got something. In one of the trailers, we found Sarah's other shoe, her step tracker, and a lock of her hair.

There was also a man seeking shelter in one of the trailers, and Voight got him to talk. "Okay, the witness describes a lone offender, male, black, 6'4" or taller, driving a black van" Voight said. "Supposedly he parked near the entrance of the rail tunnel, dragged Sarah inside, and assaulted her for approximately 30 minutes. Afterwards, he put her back in the van and drove off" Antonio said. "All right, start running sex offenders that fit that description" Voight said. "Yes, sir" Adam replied. "He could've assaulted her in the van with no witnesses, so why pull her into the railyard" Erin asked. "I don't know. Maybe he didn't plan on taking her. I mean, he drags her down to this tunnel, has his way. Figures he can keep the party going" Kevin said.

"It's fun for them" I finally say. "What" Antonio asked me. I took a deep breath and looked at everyone. "Rapists. They like to assault their victims in many different places. It's like a high for them. The more places the better because it's harder to catch them" I say. "How do you know all of that" Kevin asked. "If there's one thing I took away from being kidnapped by Yates, it's that I know how the mind of a rapist thinks" I say. "Well, at least there's an upside. Sarah is probably still alive" Al said.

As Jay and I were leaving the scene, a little girl walked over and handed us each a cup of water. "Here you go" she said. "This is just what I needed. Thank you" Jay said to her. "My mom says there's a girl missing. I hope you find her soon" the girl said to me. "Hey, we will" I say as she hugged me. "When I grow up, I want to be a police officer just like you" she said. "Well, it's tough, but with hard work and determination, you'll get there" I say.

...........................................

So this man, Bobby Trent, he pretends to be a police officer so that he can get inside details on crimes and write big stories. Apparently, he had a video of Sarah being kidnapped. "I ran the video footage through facial recognition. We got a hit. Kenneth Waddell, AKA 'Six-Six.' Yes, because he's 6'6" tall" Adam said. "Waddell's got priors for dealing narcotics when he was a teenager. And in his 20s, it seems he switched to sexual assault. In 2011, he raped an underage handicapped girl. Went to Stateville, did five years, got paroled two months ago, and since then, he's been ostracized in the neighborhood. Gang units say no local crews want anything to do with this guy" Antonio said.

"That was Waddell's parole officer. Lists his LKA as his aunt's house on 17th Place, but apparently he's disappeared, and nobody's seen him in weeks" Erin said. "And Jay and I ran the partial plate that we got off the footage. We got a hit on the black van, and the temporary tags are registered to Kenneth Waddell" Mouse said. "Housing Authority cameras recorded the van driving into Beverly Gardens at 6:00 a.m. this morning. Never came out" Jay said. "Beverly Gardens. That's a G Park Lord stronghold. They control every gate in and out" I say.

"Yeah, I ran Waddell's file, and neither him nor his family have an address listed there, so if he is still in there, we have no clue where he's keeping her" Jay said. "Well, he could have her in one of the vacants. Obvious stash spot" Al said. "Yeah, and this isn't going to be easy. I mean, the G Lords, they don't care if you're a fireman, an EMT, a cop. You've got to get permission from whoever is calling the shots just to get in there, and they're going to have cats guarding the gates, spotters on the roof. "So we need to figure out a weak point to get inside" Antonio said. "No, there's no time to execute a raid. We go in through the front door" Voight said.

We ended up getting Waddell, and Sarah was safe. She was currently at the hospital getting checked out. As I was leaving the district, I bumped into Jay. "Hey" I say as we walked out of the building together. "Hey" he said. "So I heard you and Erin are moving in together. Congrats" I say. "Thanks. I'm uh, I'm glad we're still friends" Jay said. "Me too" I say as we got to my car. "Well, this is me. I'll see you tomorrow." I then gave Jay a quick hug before climbing into my car. While I was still kind of upset that Jay and I were no longer together, I was glad that he was happy. And if he was happy, I was happy.