Forty-Caliber Bread Crumb

Yn's POV

As soon as I got the call that Jay's security gig had gone wrong, I threw on some clothes and drove down to the scene. When I got there, Jay was going after an older bald man. "Where the hell were you" Jay asked the man. "I was pinned. My piece jammed" he replied. "It jammed? How the hell does a DEA tough guy run and hide" Jay asked and grabbed the guy's shirt. "Hey, hey, hey. Jay, take it easy" I say and lead Jay away from the man. "Hey, I don't want to see your face again, do you understand" Jay asked. "Easy" I say to Jay and press him against a support column for the bridge we were standing under.

The blood that was on Jay's jacket stained my hands, but at the moment, I didn't really care. "Calm down, Jay" I say. "Yn, he was ducking" Jay said. "I don't care about him. Are you okay" I ask and start scanning his body for injuries. I'm fine. I wasn't hit" Jay said. "Thank god" I say and hug him tightly, afraid to let go. "Hey. Sorry to interrupt, but it looks like they left behind a .40 caliber breadcrumb" Sean said. "I shot one of them. He must have dropped it" Jay said. As Jay and I were walking to my car, I noticed that he had a slight limp in his step. "Hey. Are you sure you're okay" I ask. "Yeah. I'm fine. I promise" Jay said.

.........................................

"I got the lab to do a rush order, and they managed to pull a partial print off the clip inside the .40 SIG that was left at the scene. Now, it came up matching to a one Joseph 'Joey' Ortiz" Mouse said. "Ortiz? He's a known member of the Insane King lick crew. They don't sell drugs. Their M.O. is to follow cartel mules with large amounts of money after big drug deals, then they rob them" Kevin said. "Sound familiar, Jay" I ask. "Yeah" he replied. "Right, put out an investigative alert on Ortiz. Have patrol saturate all known areas him and his crew frequents" Voight said.

Kim and Sean found Ortiz, so we brought him back to the district to be interviewed. While Jay and Antonio were interviewing him, the rest of us found some new information. I poked my head into the interview room just as Jay shoved Ortiz against the wall. "Jay. You're going to want to see this" I say. Jay followed me back to the bullpen where the rest of the crew were waiting.

"It turns out Ortiz's cousin Sasso is a runner for the cartels and was gonna give Ortiz up for robbing their cash drop, so it looks like Ortiz was just giving him a gentle reminder to keep his mouth shut" Erin said. "Okay, so, I pulled this from a Zac's Beef parking lot up on Clark and Ridge. Now, if you look at the time code on the actual footage, it's just six minutes before Jay got lit up" Mouse said. "I don't know, bro, I don't see Ortiz and his boys making it from Ridge down to Van Buren in that kind of time" Kevin said. "Ortiz still could have set it up" Jay said. "No, that .40 SIG was left there on purpose to mislead us" Voight said. 

"Well, the DNA from the blood splatter at the robbery scene came back inconclusive. It doesn't match any offenders in the system, and the '96 Chevy that was lit on fire, pushed over the overpass, it was stolen from a junkyard a week ago" Adam said. "We didn't get anything from the shell casings" Jay asked. "No, all clean. No prints, every last one" Mouse said. "All right, kick Ortiz" Voight said. "No, I'm not done talking to him" Jay said. "Well, he's not our guy, his cousin isn't going to press charges, so kick him" Voight said.

"Jay, talk me through this route again" Al said. "There's nothing to talk through. We change it up every week" Jay said. "All right, what was last week's route" Al asked. "Al, man, we've been over this" Jay said. "Hey. We're all just  trying to help, Jay. If that means asking questions we've already asked, then so be it" I say. "Did you or your guys discuss the route with anyone else" Voight asked. "For the tenth time, no" Jay said. "Well, they found out somehow, so someone must be talking" Al said. "Or listening" Voight suggested. "Al, go down to your basement and dig up your old equipment. I want you to sweep that dispensary." "Sweep for bugs? We should be taking a harder run at Ortiz" Jay said. "Jay, take a step back or go home. It's your call" Voight said.