Instinct

Yn's POV

"Should we run through it one more time?" Adam asked. 

Jay nodded. "The targets are the Becerra Brothers, Enrique and Hector." 

"I've bought from these guys three times, so it should be nice and easy. Nine grand gets us that eighth. We'll make the exchange, give you guys the positive, and then take them down and book them before lunch," Adam declared. 

"Copy that," I say from the back of the security van.

"Yeah, one problem. You look like Paul Bunyan," Jay pointed out. 

"That's what I was going for. Paul Bunyan was a handsome giant, so thank you," Adam commented as him and Jay climbed out of the van, leaving Kim, Kevin, and I alone. 

"It was cool seeing Makayla at the park the other day," Kevin brought up. "It was good to see her laugh." 

"Yeah. She's the strongest person I know. I love it. I really do. And, um, I can barely crawl into bed at the end of the day and that's when everything goes perfect," Kim explained. 

"You know, it probably wouldn't hurt to have another pair of hands," I suggest. "Have you thought about bringing Adam into this?" 

"Yeah, I have," Kim replied. But before she could elaborate, Adam and Jay said that they were ready to go, so the three of us turned our attention to the monitors on the one side of the van. Things started off good. Jay and Adam showed the Becerra brothers the cash, and they went to go grab the drugs. But everything went south when the gunfire sounded. Kim, Kevin, and I all looked at each other before rushing out of the car and down the alleyway. "5021 Eddie, 10-1, 10-1! Shots fired at the police! We're at the 4200 block of South Justine. We've got undercover officers taking fire." 

"Eddie, are there officers hit?" the dispatcher asked. 

"Unknown. Approaching now," Kim responded. 

"Jay, Adam!" I call out as we rounded the corner. 

"Guys, we're okay," Jay spoke once we saw that him and Adam hadn't been hit. 

"The shooter is in a silver pickup fleeing southbound," Adam informed us. 

"5021 David, officers are not hit. I repeat, officers are not hit. Offenders fled southbound on Justine in a silver pickup," Kevin said over his radio. Once that was all sorted out, I hugged Jay tightly.

"You sure you're okay?" I question.

"Yeah. I'm fine," Jay answered and kissed my forehead. "We should get Voight and Hailey down here."

"Already on it," Kim exclaimed and pulled out her phone.

......................................

"So where are we?" Voight asked. 

"I got a partial from the shooter's vehicle that fled southbound. CPIC's running it down. It matched a newer-model Silverado," Kevin replied. 

"Any shell casings?" Voight quizzed. 

"19 so far. Assault rifle. Green tip .223s," Kim stated. 

"Have Forensic bag, tag, and hand-deliver them to Ballistics," Voight ordered. "Well, we know these two victims are gang-affiliated meth dealers, so hit the streets. Look for beefs, anniversary shootings, all of it. Get me PODs and ShotSpotters. Hey, whoever did this damn near took out two of our own. Don't forget that." Back at the district, we began to present the information that we had.

"This is the closest ShotSpotter to the shooting. It looks like someone else got there first," Hailey said as we watched a video of someone shooting out the camera.