Now Is Always Temporary

Yn's POV

"The house belongs to a Dean Masters. His file was red-flagged to notify intelligence, but he must have been before my time" Antonio said as we stood in front of the house. "Oh, yeah, him. That robbery at the art institute last year, we liked him for it" Voight said. "The neighbors heard a woman scream. We knocked, he yelled out that he had a gun and to leave him alone" the responding officer told us as we walked up to the door. "Masters, this is Sergeant Voight with the Chicago Police. Open up and make this easy on all of us" Voight said. "He's going to kill me" a woman shouted from inside. "Take it" Voight said to Jay. Using his gun, Jay blew the hinges off the door and we were able to go inside.

"I told them I would kill her" Masters said and pressed his gun onto the woman's head. "Drop it, Masters! We're here to help. Let her go" Voight said. "All we're trying to do is have a good time" Masters said. "Everybody take a breath" I say. "She set me up. She's trying to get me killed" Masters said to me. "Fine, you're right. We can handle that" I say. "I've got info. I've got info on a deal that's going down, and that's why she's setting me up" Masters said. "I don't know what he's talking about. I swear to God" the woman said. "All right, we will help you. We will help you, but you've got to let her go first. You don't need her. Come on. Give her to me" I say. Masters passed the girl over to me, and she hugged me tightly. That's when things turned in the opposite direction.  "I'm dead anyway" Master said and held his gun under his chin before pulling the trigger.

"Hey" Jay said as we got back to the district. "How did you handle all of that so well?" "The Homicide unit dealt with hostages all the time. I'm used to negotiating with criminals. It doesn't turn out well all the time though" I say. "Well, I though that was amazing" Jay said. "Thanks" I say and take a seat at my desk.

"Dean Masters was a hotshot artist in his 20s. His work dried up and hpicked up a drug habit. He's suspected of not only being a fence but also forging paintings" Voight said. "What was that thing intelligence had him on" Antonio asked. "Stolen Klimt. Never resurfaced" Erin replied. "What the hell is a Klimt" Adam asked. "An artist" Erin said. "Named Klimt? That's a funny name, right? Or am I alone on this" Adam said. "It's kind of funny" Jay said. 

"So this whole 'they're gonna kill me' thing that Masters was going on about was either about the stolen painting or something else" Voight said. "Or he was just tripping and talking nonsense. I mean, did you see his pupils? He was gakked out of his mind" Jay said. "We've got a known suspect, and Masters took his own life rather than face something heavy-duty. We pursue the case" Voight said as Al walked up the stairs with the woman I had rescued from Masters' house. "Ln, will you take this" Al asked. "Of course" I say and stand up before leading the woman into the break room. I let the woman take a seat and placed a box of tissues in front of her.

"I guess I should thank you for last night" she said. "Well, he chose his head instead of yours. We all got lucky" I say as she began to sob. "I'm sorry" she said. "It's okay. How well did you know Dean Masters" I ask. "I just met him last night. It was only the third time I've ever done that. I'm a licensed esthetician. I worked at a salon up until about a week ago. I wasn't making rent" she said. "Maybe this is a sign that that life's not for you. Do you know why Dean thought you were trying to set him up" I ask. "I don't know. I swear to God, I got there, and he was pissed because I wasn't the girl he asked for" she said. "Who was he expecting" I ask. "Nadia" she replied.

..........................................

"Th guy who runs this place is Adam Mazur. I know him from vice. We called him the Whac-a-mole pimp. We'd beat him down, and he'd pop up somewhere else a week later with a new stable" Antonio said. "Let's go" Voight told Jay, Adam, Antonio, and I. "Membership" the man at the front desk asked. "Yeah. Right here" Voight said and showed the man his badge. "If you press an alarm, I will break your hand" Jay told another guy as we walked into the back room.