Different Mistakes

Yn's POV

"Well, I understand the concept of sunglasses, Ruzek, but it looks like you're trying too hard. You're supposed to be from the streets" Al said as we walked into the district. "Why don't you quit worrying about what I'm wearing" Adam said. "Olinsky, where are your non-suit reports" Platt asked Al as Adam and I headed towards the stairs. "Hey, hey, look at Ruzek" one of the patrolmen said. "Gutierrez, are you still carrying Maloney on your back" Adam asked. "Hey, I'm used to it by now. How are you, buddy" Maloney asked. "I'm good" Adam replied. "Those are some sweet shades, Ruzek" Gutierrez said. "Easy" Adam said and laughed. "So is this your partner" Maloney asked Adam and nodded to me.

"Oh no. I'm only a coworker of his. If we were partners, I'd leave the unit" I say jokingly. "That was not very nice Yn. I feel hurt" Adam said. "We're hoping after graduation, this is our spot" Gutierrez said. "Yeah, I don't know how it is for the patrolmen here. I mean, I skipped that part. Put in your time, boys. That's my advice. Then maybe you too can join us upstairs" Adam said. "Hey Ruzek, Ln, come here" Al said and waved us over to the front desk.

"What's up Al" I ask. "Sergeant Platt, Ruzek here needs to better appreciate the journey that he got to bypass" Al said. "Oh, I've been waiting for this day" Sergeant said. "Okay, have fun with that. I've got to head upstairs" I say. "Hold on Ln. I need someone experienced to help Ruzek out" Al said. "You've got to be kidding me" I say. "Nope. Not at all" Al said.

...........................................................

"There they are. Look at you both, all sharp" Al said. "Looking fancy Yn" Jay said. "I hate you both" I say to Al and Jay. "How long are we doing this for" Adam asked me. "We'll play it by ear" Al replied. "I should've just walked into the district alone. If I avoided you, I would have avoided this" I say. "Have fun" Al said as we walked downstairs and up to Platt's desk. "Ln, you and special sauce here will be doing foot patrol at Ron Goodwin High School" Platt said and handed me a set of keys. "Great. Thank you, Sergeant" I say. "You're welcome" Platt said as we walked away. "Aka crossing-guard duty" I tell Adam. "Perfect" he said.

At the high school, we began our crossing guard duty. "This is complete horse shit" Adam said. "That's because you're doing it wrong. You have to get your hips into it, like this" I say and show him. "You're kind of full of it, you know that" Adam asked me. "Am I? Or am I awesome at it? I mean, if I have to spend time in patrol again, I'm going to make it fun" I say.

After crossing guard duty, we headed back to the district for our next assignment. "Well, another great day at the high school, Sergeant. It's so inspiring to see young people realizing their dreams" I say. "Perfect. Now you can go pick up lunch at Manny's for everyone on desk duty" Platt said and handed us a list. "Which one's yours" Adam asked. "Mine's... very good. Like I'm going to tell you so you can foul it in some way" Platt said. "We just want to make sure that we get your order perfect, Sergeant" Adam said. "Uh-huh. Get going. My stomach's growling" Platt said.

"So, where did you and Wendy meet" I ask. "I knew a friend of her brother's. We all went out one night. Wendy showed up. Kind of a boring story, actually" Adam said. "Okay, what was your first date" I ask. "Transformers One" Adam replied. "So romantic" I say jokingly. "I like that movie" Adam said. "It's cartoon robots fighting cartoon robots" I say. "Exactly. It's awesome. Now, what about you and that detective" Adam asked me.

"Archie and I met when I was first assigned to the Homicide unit. He was having a bad first day when I showed up, and I pissed him off so he punched me in the face" I say. "So romantic" Adam said mocking my tone from earlier. "What about your first date?" "He took me to a White Sox game. I'm a huge baseball fan" I say. "Look at that. Detective Hunk knows how to impress a girl" Adam said. "Detective Hunk" I ask. "That's what everyone on the team has been calling him" Adam said. "You guys know my boyfriend has a name, right" I say as my radio went off. "Units in 25, we have a burglary in progress. Offender is still in the house and should be considered armed and dangerous. 1150 South Jefferson" the dispatcher said. "That's just down the block. 2113, we're on our way" I say into the radio.

As soon as we pulled up to the address, a man walked up to us. "Mr. Hankamer's at work. I saw this crackhead moving up the side of the house with a knife. He kicked in the back door. He hasn't come out" the man said. "All right, sir, go back inside" Adam said. "Officers on the scene. Burglary in progress. We need backup at 1150 South Jefferson" I say. "2113, backup en route" a dispatcher responded. Adam and I slowly entered the back of house, and looked around, but didn't see anyone until we reached the front. "Do you have eyes" Adam asked me. "Stairs. Police! Stop" I shout and chase after the man.

Right as I got up the stairs, the man jumped at me with his knife, but I dodged his swing and kicked him right in the back of the knee. He fell to the floor, dropping the knife which Adam pushed down the stairs so it was out of reach. "Stay down! Hands behind your back" Adam said and handcuffed the criminal just as our backup arrived. "You guys got him" I ask the patrolmen. They nodded and led the man outside. "That was badass" Adam said. "Thank you" I say.

..........................................

"We already ate from the vending machines" Platt said as we placed the food on the desk. "Well, now you won't have to cook dinner" I say. "You know where the 32nd district is" Platt asked. "Yeah. Why" I ask. "I need you to pick up an envelope there. Hey, nice arrest on Jefferson" Platt said and handed me a piece of paper. "Oh, hey. How's it going here, Ruzek" Al asked. "Well, I am learning my lesson, Al" Adam said. "That's good" Al responded. "I'm not learning anything because I was already a patrolmen" I say. "I know Ln, but sometimes, it's good to go back to the basics" Al said and pat my shoulder.

Once work was over, Adam and I headed to Molly's where we met up with Al, Jay, and Antonio. "Hey. The magnificent mile detail is looking for patrolmen, so I recommended you to Sergeant Castellaw over there" Al said. "Please tell me you're joking. You better be joking" I say. "Yeah, I'm just messing with you Ln" Al said. "What is it with you not liking being a patrolmen" Jay asked. "I uh, I didn't have a good experience while I was in patrol. My partner was a sexist who thought that women couldn't be cops, so he treated me like shit. So, when I was promoted to Homicide, I was happy that I was going to be with a group of people who actually appreciated me" I say. "What happened to your partner" Antonio asked. "Oh, we was caught on video saying insulting things to me, so he got fired" I say.

"So Adam, what'd you learn" Al asked. "I learned that things can jump off no matter what you're wearing" Adam said. "Yeah. All right, so you guys can come ready to work tomorrow. But Adam, next time I hear you big-dogging it to any of your academy mates, you're not gonna get a third chance" Al said. "Never again, boss" Adam said.

"I would like to make a toast. First rule of a gunfight, bring a gun. Second rule, bring friends with guns. Here's to having friends in Chicago" Antonio said as we clinked shot glasses and drank the whiskey inside of them. "Do you guys want another round? I need a beer" Adam said. "Okay, but you're buying. You made me relive my horrific memories from patrol, so you owe me one" I say. "All right. I guess that's fair" Adam said.