Ghosts

Yn's POV

Jay and I were making out on my bed, and my body was situated on top of his. Our lips moved in sync together, and Jay's hands was resting on my lower back. The only thing I was wearing besides my bra and underwear was one of Jay's t-shirts, which he told me he loved to see me wear, and he was wearing a pair of sweatpants that hung low on his waist. It was just one of those mornings where everything was going great. I had gotten a decent amount of sleep, Chief hadn't barged into the bedroom to wake me up, and Jay and I were spending some quality morning time together.

Just then, my phone rang, but I ignored it and continued kissing Jay. "Babe, why are you ignoring that" he asked and pulled his lips away from mine. "Because it's going to ruin this moment, and I don't want this to end" I say. The ringing stopped for a second, but just as it did, it started up again. Jay smiled and pressed a short but sweet kiss to my lips before grabbing my phone. "It's Hailey" he said. "Ugh. Now that you tell me who it is, I have to answer it" I say and take my phone from his hand. When I clicked accept, Hailey's voice met my ear. 

"Yn, hey. Antonio's drug deal went sideways, so now we've got a new case down at the district" she said. "All right. I'll be down there in a bit" I say. "Great. Also, tell Jay I said hi and to get his butt down here too" Hailey said. "How'd you know he was here" I ask. "The only reason you don't answer my calls the first time is when you're spending time with him. "Fair point. We'll be down there soon" I say.

At the district, Jay and I quickly caught ourselves up on what was going on. "All right. Three white males approach. Close-quarter shootout. Garcia gets hit, but he gets a few shots off" Adam said and showed us a video. "Hits my boy Scott Jansen" Hailey pointed out. "And then Offender One leaves in the van and Offender Two leaves in the sedan" Adam said. "And they leave Jansen to die" Hailey finished off. "Do you recognize Offender One or Two" Voight asked Hailey. "No, I've never seen them before. They weren't part of Booth's old crew" Hailey replied. 

"We didn't get any hits on facial rec" Adam said. "Anything on the vehicles" Voight asked. "The sedan had no plates. The van had tags, but it was registered to a bogus address in Texas, so I got a BOLO out on make and model" Adam said. "All right, we've got a rip crew who knew about a van with liquid meth, and they knew when and where the deal was going down" Voight said. "My money's on Booth. He likes doing rips. 'Better margins when the product's free.' He used to say that all the time" Hailey spoke. "All right, give it a shot, but let's not spook this guy. You tell the press the homicide was a road rage incident. Get eyes on Booth right away" Voight said.

Our plan to get to Booth was to have Hailey go undercover. She had gone undercover a few years ago and managed to get Booth back then, so we figured she could do the same now. Hailey promised that her cover was never made, and that she could come back and act as if nothing happened. It seemed like a good idea, so we went with it.

"Still no luck with Booth. Hailey thought that he bit, but so far, radio silence" Jay said. "We've got nothing on the drug rip, either. There's no chatter on the streets. No intel from Narcotics or Gangs" I say. "You guys are lucky I work here. I think my unwitting, Perez, was in on the rip" Antonio said. "What do you mean" Voight asked. "I ran his vehicle through NVLS. Turns out, his car was parked outside Booth's paint warehouse three different times in the last week. Pretty sure they weren't talking about color palettes" Antonio replied. "So you think Perez and Booth planned the rip together" Jay asked. "He knows lots of dealers. He'd be a perfect partner for Booth" Antonio said. "So Booth steals the product, cooks it, hands it over to Perez to sell? I mean, that's a match made in heaven" Adam said. "Yeah, but the problem is, if Perez is the distributor, we've got no angle to play. Hailey pitching Jay as a buyer doesn't mean anything. We've got to do something about Perez" Voight said.

.......................................

Hailey had managed to convince Booth to set up a talk with Jay as a buyer, and now I was sending him off. "Be careful, okay" I say. Jay didn't respond and pulled on his jacket. "Jay" I say seriously. "Yeah. I'll be careful" he said and pulled me towards him, pressing a chaste kiss to my lips. "You better be" I say. "If you aren't, you'll be sleeping at your place alone tonight." "I sleep at your house so much that it's basically my home" Jay said. "You're not wrong there. I'll talk to you later" I say.

Apparently Booth didn't like something with Jay because he didn't settle on a deal. So, Voight was getting Hailey to shut down the undercover operation. As I was sitting at my desk, I got a call from Jay. "Hey, Jay. What's up" I ask. "Have you heard from Hailey? I can't track her down" Jay said to me. "I thought you were together, closing up the apartment" I say. "Yeah, that was the plan, but between you and me, I can't find her, and I've got a bad feeling. I think she's making an off-the-book move" Jay said. "Okay, I'm going to ping her phone. I'll call you right back" I say and hang up.

I tracked Hailey's phone to Booth's office, and Jay went down there to try and get the deal back on track. I guess 25 grand was a good enough down payment for Booth, so he agreed to the deal. Things were going good with the deal at first, however, when Booth grabbed Hailey to check for a wire, he touched her the wrong way, and Jay reached for his gun. As Jay dealt with Tyler, Booth's nephew, Hailey chased after Booth, who had ran off. "I'm going to go help Hailey" I say and climbed out of Adam's car.

When I entered the factory, Jay pointed me in the direction of the stairwell, and when I entered, I saw Booth beating Hailey up. I grabbed Booth's coat collar and pulled him away from her, also giving him a nasty punch in the face. However, Booth didn't get phased easily and shoved me hard against the wall. "You know, there's just something about female cops that rub me the right way" Booth said and traced his hand down the side of my face. "Don't touch me" I say and slap his hand away before kneeing him in the crouch. At that moment, Hailey took Booth down, and she pointed her gun at his face. "You good" she asked me. "Yeah. You" I ask. "Same" she said.

That night, the team was meeting at Molly's, and Hailey never showed up, so I headed over to her apartment. "Hey, Yn. What are you doing here" she asked and let me inside. "Everybody's asking for you at Molly's" I say. "Yeah, I don't really feel like being social right now" Hailey said. "Well, Platt offered to buy shots, which is a once-in-a-decade thing, if you want to reconsider" I say. "I'm all right. I just kind of feel like being alone" she said. "Yeah, well, that's not going to happen. Us girls have to stick together. Do you have any whiskey" I ask. Hailey smiled and led me to the kitchen where she poured me and herself a shot. "How's your head" I ask. "It's all right. A little sore" Hailey replied. However, something still felt off. "You know you got him, right" I ask. "Yeah, I know. It just doesn't feel as good as I thought it would. Stirred up too many ghosts" Hailey said. "I'll drink to that" I say and clink my glass with hers.