A Beautiful Friendship

Yn's POV

"There he is" Jay said as Antonio walked up the stairs. "Hey, man, what the hell are you doing back so soon" Al asked. "You sound like my wife" Antonio said. "Listen, we got you a little 'welcome back/glad you're not dead' gift. Don't say we didn't ever do anything for you" Jay said as Adam came out with a walker. "Oh. That's hilarious" Antonio said. "It was all Jay's idea" I say and hug Antonio. "Welcome back." "It feels great to be back" Antonio said. "All right, we're rolling out in five minutes. We just caught a heater. Antonio, do me a favor. Just work the desk for a few days. I don't want you dropping on me. Ln, you can work with Atwater for the case. Show him the ropes" Voight said.

............................................

"They had a plan. They took out all the security cameras in the area. Jin checked the pods. There's nothing there" Jay said as we all stood around the construction site. "They're missing 100 pounds of aluminized water-gel explosives" Adam said. "Water gels" Kevin asked. "It's for mining and tunneling. Companies use it for blasting bedrock" Al said. "Yeah, that's a lot of explosives, like take-down-a-building big. We've had enough of that around here" Voight said. 

"They're also missing a security guard, Sarge" I say. "All right, I want a list of all the demo-company employees and whoever signed for the materials here. Anyone who knew water-gel explosives were going to be on site" Voight said. "Over here" a man said and waved us over. We all walked over to the man and saw that he had found the missing security guard, and there was a bullet a bullet in his head. "All right, anyone who's been here in the last month, I want their name" Voight said.

When we got back into the office, Antonio stopped Adam, Al, and I. "Al, your wife called. She wants to know about dinner. Ruzek, your fridge is getting delivered on Thursday" Antonio said. "Ah, finally. Between 9:00 and 12:00 or 3:00 and 6:00? Did they say" Adam asked. Antonio gave him an I-don't-work-for-you look, and Adam raised his hands in surrender. "Never mind." "And Yn, Archie called. He said that he made plans for you guys tonight, so don't plan on staying late" Antonio said. "Message received" I say and sit down.

"Antonio, what do you got" Voight asked. "I'm waiting on a list of employees from that construction site. So far, no one's popped. You said they didn't get any blasting caps or detonation cords" Antonio asked. "No" Voight replied. "Well, you're going to need those" Antonio said. "All right, det cords and caps. That's our angle for now" Voight said. "I've got a C.I. I can talk to about that" Jay said. "All right, take Ln with you" Voight said.

Jay drove us to an abandoned parking lot where a guy around my age climbed into the back seat of the car. "What's up, Halstead? Who's your friend" the man asked. "Yn, Mouse. Mouse, Yn" Jay said. "Hey" I say. "Listen, can you tell me anything about this construction-site robbery in Harvey" Jay asked. "I might be tapped in on that. It's my ears, man. They get so waxy these days" Mouse said. Jay then pulled some money out from his pocket and handed it to Mouse. "Ding-ding. Clear as a bell, just like that. There's lots of talk. There's this new player in town. He's looking for some bangers. I'm kind of serving as a consultant" Mouse said. "Can you get us a meeting? Tell him we're offering blasting caps and det cord" Jay said. "What, straight up" Mouse asked. "Yeah, straight up. All you're doing is organizing a meet" Jay said. "All right. Drive toward Erie and Sedgwick. I'll set it up" Mouse said.

Mouse brought us into this apartment where there were a few people relaxing. "How well you know these guys, Mouse" I ask. "I don't know. How well does anybody know anybody" Mouse asked. "That's not that helpful" I say. "What do we got" a man asked and walked over to us. "You're looking for some stuff I can get for you. Blasting caps and det cord" Jay said. "Why would I need something like that" the man asked. "Hey, what you do with it is your business" Jay said. "Really, Detective? Would it be my business" the man asked. "Detective? What are you talking about, Charlie" Mouse asked. "Shut up, Mouse. We met at the station with Erin Lindsay, or did you forget" Charlie asked. "No, I definitely wouldn't forget something like that. Is there anything you want to tell us, Charlie" Jay asked. "Nope. I'm super cool, man. Tell Erin I said hey, though. Back in the day, she was something" Charlie said.