Promise

Yn's POV

"Okay, so on a scale from 1 to 10, how good of a cop do you think I am" I ask Adam.  "That's not a fair question" he said. "Of course it is" I say. "It's really not" Adam said. "All right, I'll ask another question. Who'd you like better: Archie or Johnny" I ask. "Do I have to pick" Adam asked as we entered the bullpen. "That's rude" I say and playfully shove Adam away from me. "I'm sorry, but your taste in men is questionable" Adam said. "I dated Jay. Is he questionable" I ask. "He is probably the only good guy you've ever dated. Be honest with me" Adam said. "Actually, I had a really great boyfriend in high school" I say. "Oh yeah? What happened" Adam asked. "Well, when I told him I wanted to be a police officer, he didn't think I could do it, so I broke up with him" I say. "Like I said, questionable" Adam spoke.

"So our Jane Doe is Latina. Mid to late 20s. Negative on the prints. Nothing in our databases. M.E. is still processing the body" Antonio said. "But it appears she was a drug mule" Kim asked. "Yeah, and they had a problem recovering the product, so they gutted her like a farm animal" Antonio said. "Rigor puts time of death between 6:00 and 8:00 last night. Crime scene techs found very little blood on the scene, so she was killed someplace else, and then dropped here" Hailey added. "Why's homicide passing this off on us" Voight asked. "I said we'd take it" Antonio replied. "Mm. I bet Homicide was real sorry to see this one go" Voight said. 

"What is with you guys hating on Homicide? You know, I came from Homicide" I say. "The Homicide Department is never on top of anything" Antonio said. "Are you kidding me? Do you know how many cases we got a week? We were always swamped, and it didn't help that in my department, there were only 4 of us plus my Sergeant. So, I'm sorry if we didn't get to a lot of cases" I say. "No one's saying it's your fault, Yn. We're just saying that the Homicide Detectives could find ways to stay on top of things. That's all" Antonio said. "And I'm just saying Homicide deserves more respect than they get" I say.

"All right, send out patrol to canvass the neighborhood where the body was found. Check pod cameras, missing persons. This young lady didn't just fall from the sky" Voight said. "I've got a C.I. deep in with these cartel guys" Al said. "Good. Oh, Antonio, Burgess, you two are going to partner up now" Voight added. "Ah, it's a lovely game of musical chairs" Al said.

Al got us a tip, and we ended up finding another drug mule, and the man who was going to take the drugs out of her. "According to the girl, all the mules are around 15. The DOA looks closer to 30" Kim said. "And if there were drugs inside her, they would've cut down, not across, apparently" Jay added. "You know what else the cartel doesn't do? Rape drug mules. I just got the M.E. report. The DOA had significant vaginal tearing and the cause of death was strangulation" Hailey said. "So the slice across her stomach" I ask. "Must've been done after the fact" Hailey replied. "You're saying that someone raped her, killed her, cut her open to make it look like she was a mule" Antonio asked. "Who's going to cry over some anonymous Latina drug runner" Hailey said. "Patrol just found bloody clothes in an alley near where the body was dumped" Kim said. "Hit it" Voight said.

......................................

"All right. Gloria Morales, she came from Guatemala six months ago with her son Oscar. There's no border crossing, so she entered here illegally. Landlady thought she worked at some factory. Said she paid her rent on time" Antonio said. "We canvassed the neighborhood. Nobody wanted to talk" Hailey said. "Yeah, they're freaked out. They think anybody with a badge is trying to deport them" Jay said. "Hey, so the M.E. ran those clothes from the dumpster. Now the blood in the dumpster definitely matches our DOA, but they couldn't find any other evidence on the clothes" Kevin said. "What about the blood on the jeans in the apartment" I ask. "That blood matches a pig. Yeah. More precisely pig, cow, and lamb, believe it or not" Kevin said. "Maybe she worked at a restaurant" Adam suggested.

"Okay, I ran the old bus card that we found at the apartment. She took the 127 Blue Line every day to West 132nd" Kim said. "All right, so let's run every business within a mile radius of West 132nd. Let's find out where she worked" Voight said. "There's only one large company around West 132nd. It's Bukowski Meat Packing Company. They specialize in lamb, pig, and cow products" Jay said. "Boots on the ground. Hit that factory" Voight said.

We found Gloria's sister at the factory, and she told us that Gloria was "seeing" Michael Bukowski, the son of the owner of Bukowski Meat Packing. However, the next day, someone filed an anonymous tip to ICE, and they rounded up all of the illegal immigrants at the packing company, including Gloria's sister Lucia.

"I ran Michael Bukowski's alibi. He was at the Thirsty Raven from 6:30 till 9:00, just like he said" Hailey said. "I mean the crime techs already went through his room and his car. So far, we can't even connect Michael to Gloria" Kevin said. "What about the father" Antonio asked. "His story's pretty tight too. He was at home all night with his wife. He's got video surveillance to back it up" Adam said. "Any luck with Lucia" Antonio asked Voight. "Nope. She's on a plane back to Guatemala" he said. "What? Wait, you said you were going to talk to someone" Antonio said. "It turns out Lucia was deported three years ago. She came back illegally, which is a felony. Automatic deportation. I tried. Okay, any new evidence" Voight asked. No one said anything. "Okay, kick the Bukowski kid. We've got nothing on him. Or anyone else, for that matter."

Before Gloria's son could be taken to foster care, he told us that the last time he saw his mom, she got into a white van with a cow on the side of it, and the man driving the van was Latino, fat, and bald. That matched the description of Frank Lopez, who worked at the meat packaging factor. We ended up getting information about two other bodies, both of whom had been killed like Gloria. We talked to the family of one of the dead girls, and the woman said that the day her daughter was killed, she got into a van with a fat, bald man who wore a huge gold necklace. The man she described sounded like Frank Lopez, so again, we were back to him. However, we had no evidence to tie him to anything, so the case went cold.

"10" Jay said to me as we were leaving the district. "I'm sorry" I ask. "You asked Adam earlier how good of a cop he thinks you are. He didn't want to answer, but I will. You're a 10/10" Jay said. "Really? I would've given myself a 7. Maybe an 8 if it's a good day" I say. "Well, I think you're an amazing cop. You definitely deserve to be in Intelligence. The CPD was stupid to put you in Homicide" Jay said. "Oh. Thank you. You're awesome too. Way more awesome than I am" I say. "Just accept the compliment, Yn" Jay said. "Fine. Thank you" I say. "No problem. I'll see you tomorrow" Jay said to me.