Burnside

Y/n's POV

I hopped out of the driver's seat of my car, closing the door softly behind me. Hailey followed suit, putting her hair up into a ponytail as the two of us neared the crime scene. I guess Kevin had been in the area when the drive by shooting had occurred, and because one of our own had claimed the scene, this was our newest case. Adam rose his eyebrows at me, a look of confusion strewn across his face as I passed under the bright yellow crime scene tape. I met up with my partner by the vehicle he was examining, and as soon as I got close, Adam stopped inspecting the bullet holes in the side of the door.

"What's with the weird look?" I ask.

"You and Jay came in separate cars," Adam noticed. "Ever since the two of you moved in together, you've almost always arrived in the same car. So do you want to tell me why Jay arrived 10 minutes ago without you and you came with Hailey instead?"

For a split second, I thought about spilling everything to Adam. I wanted to tell him what happened with Roy Walton; How I saw him die and was now holding a secret that could send me to prison for a long time. But in an instant, I knew that I couldn't say a word. No one else could know what happened the night we found Kim.

"Nothing's wrong, if that's what you're asking. Hailey stayed over last night, and the two of us drank a little too much," I lie. "So it took us a bit longer to get ready this morning."

"All right. Sorry for questioning your relationship," Adam apologized. "Now, getting back to the topic of work. Voight wants you and Hailey to interview the daughter. She's over with the paramedics right now."

I nodded. "Got it." I met back up with Hailey by the ambulance, and together, we interviewed the girl whose father had been caught in this morning's crossfire. Once we were done with that, we made our way over to Voight, who was talking to Kevin.

"Did the daughter see anything?" Voight quizzed.

"Yeah, but not much," Hailey responded. "She saw a red SUV and two offenders."

"Both were masked and hooded, and it was the passenger who was dumping the shots," I add. as Kim and Adam joined us. 

"The name of the victim is Anthony Wiggins," Adam started. 

"Yeah, he rolled with the Burn City Hustlers. Did a 10-year stint for drug trafficking and was released a month ago," Kim continued.

"Based on the amount of lead this guy took, and the trajectory of the bullets, we think Wiggins was the target," Adam confessed. "All the rest of this is just collateral damage." 

Just then, Jay walked over, and for a second, him and Voight just stared at each other. That's when I noticed the small cut on Voight's bottom lip, and I had a theory on what had happened. Last night, when Jay had been gone for quite some time before he finally came home, he had confronted Voight on what happened to Roy. And when he didn't get the answer he was looking for, he took his anger out on the person who had caused the whole mess.

"We're waiting on the server for the footage from the restaurant, but the place next door, they've got security cams, and it's pretty clear from the video. We can't see the shooting, but the whole block had a good view. There were kids sitting on a stoop across the street when the shots went off," Jay revealed and gestured to a group of teens on the other side of the road. 

"Okay, so knock-and-talk the hell out of them," Voight ordered. "The rest of us, grid-search for the weapon. Dig into all gang disputes." As everyone split up, I walked alongside Jay, hoping to talk to him for a second.

"You left early. I didn't even hear you leave," I note.

"I was trying to let you sleep. We talked all night, and I just wanted to go to work," Jay admitted and took off in a different direction, leaving me standing all alone. Yeah, things definitely weren't good between the two of us at the moment.