Actual Physical Violence

Yn's POV

The lobby in the district was super crowded, and it took me forever to get to the front desk. Mouse was there asking Platt to sign something and a few other people were shouting about topics that I didn't care about. "Hey, Sarge. I need you to put this in the back room for me" I say and hand her a case file. "You're going to have to wait a second, Ln. If you didn't notice, we're quite busy" Platt said. "I know, but it needs to be filed soon or else the felony I charged the guy with doesn't go into effect" I say. "Ln, hold on" Platt said.

Suddenly, Mouse was jerked away from his spot next to me, and I turned around to see that one of the men who was standing by the front desk had grabbed him and pressed a gun to his head. I pulled out my gun and aimed it at him along with the rest of the officers in the lobby. "Are you going to listen to me now" he asked loudly.

"Sir, whatever this is, we can work it out" Voight said. "I tried to do the right thing, but no one would listen! The cops in Iowa, they laughed. They said my daughter ran away. I know my daughter. She didn't run away" the man said. "So you walk into a police district, pull a gun, and take a hostage? You can't expect to walk out of this" Voight  said. "I don't, and I don't give a damn. I gave my daughter a credit card for emergencies. Now, someone here in Chicago used it last week. That means she's here. I know it" the man said and kicked a bag towards me. "Everything's in there." 

"All right, now you've got to release him" I say and gesture to Mouse. "Find Sarah" he said. "That's not how it works" I say. "That's how it works today! Anybody makes a move, he dies" the man said. "Mouse, are you good" I ask and pick up the bag. "I'm cool. Everybody's cool" Mouse said. "Keep a bead on his forehead. He stops holding up his end of the bargain, you drill him. You understand" Voight asked Sean. "No problem" Sean replied.

........................................

"What do we know" Voight asked. "His name is Jeff Frazier. He's 44, lives in Ankeny, Iowa. No criminal priors, no history of mental illness. Last July, his daughter, Sarah, disappeared. Three days later, they found her car in an Amtrak parking lot. There's no record of her ever buying a ticket" Antonio said. "Boss, the credit card story checks out. Three months of inactivity, then Sarah's card bought five flat-screen TVs in Little Village just last week" Adam said. "Run with it. Take Ln with you. You guys are going to be partners now. Jay, you're back with Erin" Voight said.

"It's been a long time since we've worked together" I say as Adam and I climbed into his car. "I know. I'm glad we're partners. I know that you've got my back and I've got yours because we're so close" Adam said and drove off. "We had a problem with shrinkage the last year, so we had this camera installed. It's done the trick so far" the manager of the store said when we got there. "Pause right there. Transaction at 1:53 p.m., that's got to be it. Who's behind the register" Adam asked. "Randy! Come here" the manager shouted. 

"This guy, did he ever come in here before this" I ask. "Nope" Randy replied. "Your boss tells us you're supposed to require ID on any transaction over $100. This was over 3 grand" Adam said. "We were busy" Randy said. "So busy you followed him out to the parking lot" I ask. "He needed help with the flat screens" Randy said. "Here's the deal, Randy. I can't save your job. What I can do is keep you out of Stateville for credit card fraud. Just tell me where we can find your boy" I say. Once Randy told us, we sent Al and Kevin to find him. A while later, they said the guy who purchased the TVs, Oscar Mena, stole the credit card from a car, and he even told us where it was parked.

"Said the car was parked here, a white 4Runner. There's only a hundred in the state, none registered to this block. No record of a break-in either" Sean said. "Someone doesn't call in a break-in or a stolen purse, sounds like someone doesn't want to deal with the cops. Let's check the pods, knock on every door. If somebody gives off a bad vibe, we close in" I say. "Hey, does this look weird to you" Adam asked and gestured to a planter box. "It's dry as a bone, but these are brand-new sprinkler heads." Adam walked up the sprinkler and pulled it from the ground revealing a periscope. "Nice catch, Adam" I say as we all pulled out our guns and walked inside.

The main floor was clear, and in the basement we found the computer linked to the periscope outside. However, there was also a huge metal door, which was kind of a weird thing to have in a house. When Kim opened the door, and we walked in, I saw cages, and inside of those cases were girls. "Don't hurt us" one of the girls said.

....................................

"Hey, Mouse. I'm glad you're okay" I say and give him a hug. "Thanks. You know, being kidnapped wasn't as bad as I thought it would be" Mouse said. It took a few seconds for him to realize what he had just said, and who he had said it to. Talking to a woman who was kidnapped and raped about a kidnapping not being bad? Yeah, not a good thing to say. "I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have said anything" Mouse said. "No. It's fine. You're good" I say.

"The three girls found in Humboldt Park were all lured to Chicago via this Romeo's Facebook page. Trevor Dunn, sometimes Crowhill or Donnelly. The accounts go dark once the girls disappear, but we pulled this photo from Julia's cloud storage" Antonio said and pointed to a picture on the whiteboard. "No hits off NCIC or the DMV" Kevin said. "Sergeant Benson in New York says that Trevor is likely using these videos he shot as selling material to pimps that are looking for girl-next-door types for their organizations" Erin said. 

"So I took the photo we got from Julia, ran a reverse image search on it. I found an online dating profile using the same pic, so I accessed it" Adam said. "Adam, you can barely hook up a computer, let alone access someone's profile" I say. "All right, so I had the tech lab at Organized Crime do it. Anyway, I'm scrolling through his messages right now. It looks like he's picking up another girl, a Lacy Collins. He bought her a bus ticket. She gets into downtown on the 946 from St. Paul" Adam said. "Hit it" Voight said.

.............................................

"We've got a name from Dunn. Steven Ulrich. Priors for distribution, agg assault. Been linked to a few missing girls" Voight said. "Now Vice likes him for involuntary servitude and sex trafficking. He holds on to girls until they're worn out, then trades them to networks across the country" Antonio said. "Trevor says Ulrich is operating a brothel out of a club in Bridgeport. Gear up" Voight said. "Hey. If you want to sit out for this, I understand" Jay said. "You're um, you're probably right. Catch this guy, would you" I ask. "Of course" Jay said.

The trip to the brothel led to the train station where Erin managed to get Sarah. Now, it was time to head home. I was in the locker room putting on my jacket when Jay appeared behind me and cornered me. My back was pressed against my locker and my front was inches away from Jay's chest. "Hey. You want to come over to my place" Jay asked. "That depends. Do you have any whiskey" I ask. "Of course I do" Jay said. "Great. Sounds like a plan then" I say and lean up to kiss Jay. "I love it when we kiss" Jay said and leaned his forehead against mine. "Expect more later tonight. I'll see you later Halstead."