Trust Me

Y/n's POV

"I found a crowbar in the basement and the boiler room door pried open. It looks like the crew holed up there," Adam disclosed.

"Well, my best guess is that there was a lookout in the lobby. When he saw me and Ruz, he geared up with the others and crashed the party," Kevin put forth.

"The Tahoe was stolen, probably stashed there last night. This rip was well planned out. These guys knew what they were doing," Hailey spoke. 

At that moment, I saw one of our witnesses trying to leave the scene, so I left the team to catch up to her. Apparently she had alerted Jay that a car was about to crash into him, and she saw the whole crime occur, so I wanted to extend my thanks and get her statement.

"Hey, miss, will you hold up a sec?" I call out and jog over to her. "I just wanted to say thank you for helping my husband out earlier. Both of us appreciate it. I also need to get a witness statement from you before you leave." 

"How about you tell me your name instead?" the woman countered. "Is that your boss back there? What's his name? What are the names of your other team members? Which unit are you?"

I frowned. "I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. What's the problem here?" 

"Your team shot up a street, let a man bleed out, and the big, bad guys got away. That's the problem," the woman responded. "You want my statement? That was it." 

The attitude I was getting from this woman was not something I wanted to deal with today. Our drug deal was supposed to go down smoothly, and our case should have been over by now. But since there was a rip right in the middle of it, our case just got even bigger. So I was a little cranky too, but I hadn't acted on it. Well, until now, anyways.

"All right. I'm Detective Y/n L/n," I introduce and turn to point out my team members. "My immediate supervisor is right over there. Sergeant Hank Voight. The man you alerted about the car earlier is my husband Detective Jay Halstead. Then you've got Officer Adam Ruzek, Officer Kevin Atwater, Detective Hailey Upton, and Officer Kim Burgess. We're the Intelligence Unit, and we work out of District 21. You happy now?"

"Okay, Detective L/n, can you tell this officer to move her car so I can get the hell out of here?" the woman questioned. 

"Sure. Move the car, would ya," I order the nearest police officer. With that, I turned around, and with an eye roll that the woman couldn't see, I headed back over to my team.

"Listen, we work this rip hard. We've got two bodies, two stolen kilos, and 100Gs of our city's money on the street. It's not a good look," Voight confessed. 

"Sarge, it took us a month to get in with Los Temidos," Kim pointed out. "These guys don't talk to anybody outside their gang, and somehow this rip crew knows exactly when the buy's going down?" 

"Right. Find out how," Voight instructed. Back at the district, Adam and Kevin were interviewing Manny while the rest of us gathered what little information we had. When they exited the interview room, we met up in the bullpen to discuss what we knew.

"Manny said he may have mentioned the fent deal to these four fine individuals in Los Temidos. Two of them are from the 34th Street faction, the other two are from the 29th and the 23rd," Adam shared. 

"Right, so we're just gonna keep tracing them, Sarge. Try to figure out who they may have been talking to, look for a leak, try to check socials. But so far, it feels like an inside job," Kevin stated. 

"It makes sense," Adam agreed. "Manny only talked to his own people. Los Temidos has 2,000 members in its eight factions, and they're well known for their violence and infighting."