Wrong Side of the Bars

Yn's POV

"They took Antonio's son, and they took my own as far as I'm concerned. Nothing else matters until we get Diego back. Nothing" Voight said. "Sarge, this all started with Rev and Coop getting their heads chopped off, and both did essentially the same job for Pulpo, mid-level distribution. We know Pulpo's cleaning house, and what do you do when you get rid of old furniture? You have to bring in something new. This guy stood out" Jay said and showed us a picture. "This is Ernesto Milpas. He was running 15 corners between 22nd and Kedzie when CPD pinched him in '09." "Yeah, I was on that bust with Jules" Antonio said. "He was released last year" Jay said. "Maybe he's looking to get promoted" Erin suggested. "He's the best of a lot of bad options" Jay said. "What do we have on him now" Voight asked. "P.O.'s got an address that's a year old" Jay said. "All right, let's hit it" Voight said. "Yn, you can ride with Jay and I. It's about time that we got another girl in the unit" Erin said.

Erin got in the driver's seat and Jay in the passenger seat leaving me to sit in the back. "So, what unit did you transfer from" Jay asked me. "Homicide, led by Sergeant Kavanaugh" I say. "Have you investigated any serial killers" Erin asked me. "A few, although I prefer not to be on those cases. There's always something about them that doesn't settle right with me" I say. "What's it like only working on murder cases" Jay asked. "Um, it's half good, half bad. Half bad because it's all we do, and sometimes it can get a bit boring. However, the variety of the suspects and weapons used in certain crimes is sometimes fun. We had a woman kill her husband with a toothbrush once" I say. "How did that even happen" Jay asked. "Trust me, you don't want to know" I say.

That's when Voight came over the radio. "That's him. There's our boy." I looked up and spotted Milpas, but I also saw Adam walking straight towards him. "What the hell is Adam doing" I ask. As soon as I saw that, Milpas took off into the abandoned building with Adam following after him. "Everybody, go, go" Voight shouted into the radio. Jay, Erin, and I exited the car and ran into the building. "Erin, go straight, I'll go left, Yn, go right" Jay said. I nodded and pulled out my gun, holding it out before taking the right pathway.

I kept my gun held out in front of me and checked every crevice for Milpas. As I came upon a few columns, Milpas ran out from behind one and smacked me in the face with a metal bar. I fell to the floor, my gun escaping my hand, and pressed a hand to my nose. I could feel the blood flowing from my nose, but ignored it, grabbed my gun, and stood up, chasing after Milpas again. However, he was nowhere to be found. The team and I met up on a walkway near the abandoned building as other people showed up to examine the building.

"There's no sign of Diego that he was ever here. We had him! What the hell was that" Antonio asked and made a move towards Adam only to be pulled back by Voight. "Hey, I made a move" Adam said. "A stupid one" Antonio replied. "Hey, there's no need to yell at him" I say and wipe some more blood away from my nose. "Let's not forget who let herself get jumped" Antonio said harshly. "Do you want to fight? I've taken down much bigger guys than you, so I can take you" I say. "Okay, stop it guys. This is ridiculous" Erin said.

Back at the district, Voight wanted us to go through some CI files to see if anyone crossed with Pulpo. "Halstead, Ln, come here for a sec" Voight said and waved us over. Jay and I walked over to Voight, and he pulled us to the side. "In case we're going to consider a trade, I want you to check out these locations. Sight lines, sniper spots, the works" Voight said and handed us a list. "Are you considering negotiating" Jay asked. "Just check it out" Voight said.

................................................

"All right, we can put snipers there and there, and two more snipers in the windows there" Jay said and pointed to different spots near the abandoned lot we were standing in. "Yeah, okay" I say and pinpoint the locations on the map of the area I was holding. "What is it" Jay asked me. "Do you know what percentage of kidnappings end in a successful swap? Less than 1%" I say. "It's just a contingency" Jay said. "Is it though? A lot of the swaps we tried to do back when I was in Homicide didn't work" I say. "Yeah, well, this isn't homicide" Jay said.

Apparently, while Jay and I were out, a CI of Antonio found where Milpas was staying; a place called the Polk Hotel. Voight, Antonio, and Erin went over to investigate, and they caught Milpas, but Diego was nowhere to be found. However, when Antonio and Voight interviewed Milpas, they said he was with someone named Mateo.

"I've pinged his cell to the west Adams tower, triangulating with the city center" Jin said. "I want men deployed to all major transportation routes out of the city: Midway, O'Hare, I'm including all expressways" Voight said. "Guys, he's at Union Station" Jin said. "Lets go" Voight said. Once we got there, Voight told everyone to spread out.

I walked outside to check out the platform where people loaded onto buses, and that's when I saw Mateo with Diego. "I see Diego and Mateo. They're boarding a bus for Indianapolis" I say to Voight using my earpiece. "Wait for us" Voight replied. "Mid-America bus number 949 is now boarding for Indianapolis" an announcer said. I knew that by the time the team got there, the bus would already be gone, so I made a move. I got on the bus just before the doors could close. I smiled at the bus driver and showed her my badge that was clipped to the top of my jeans. "Go on ahead" she told me. I thanked her quickly and took a seat a few rows behind Mateo and Diego. Then, the bus drove away from Union Station.

"Sarge" I say quietly. "I'm on the bus heading for Indianapolis. Diego is here and he's unharmed." "I thought I told you to wait for us" Voight said. "The bus was about to leave, so I got on" I say. "Okay. I'll contact you in about 5 minutes when we have a plan" Voight said. 5 minutes later, just like Voight said, he contacted me with a plan. The driver was going to fake some engine trouble in 10 minutes and pull over. Then, the team would come over with a new bus, and we would successfully get Diego back.

In 10 minutes, we pulled over, and the new bus pulled up behind us just like Voight said it would. Al climbed onto our bus with a bus uniform on and began to address the passengers. "All right, we're real sorry for the delay, folks, but we've got a tried and true new rig out here that'll get you where you're going right away. Now, what I need from all of you is to disembark, grab your luggage, and head on over to the next bus in an orderly fashion."

Soon, Diego, Mateo, and I were the last ones on the bus, so I walked up to the bus driver to talk to her. That's when Mateo got suspicious, and he pulled his gun out and pressed it against Diego's head. I had my gun out just as fast and had it aimed right at Mateo. "Drop it" I say. "I swear I will kill him" Mateo said. "Put the gun down" I say. "Are you going to shoot? I don't think you will" Mateo said. "Yn, hold on to something" Adam said into my earpiece. I grabbed onto the nearest seat just as the bus behind us hit the back of the bus we were on. Mateo's grip loosened on Diego, and I managed to grab him and pull him behind the seat I was near. Mateo shot at us once, but was suddenly gunned down by Antonio who had climbed onto the bus.

Once I had climbed off of the bus, Antonio pulled me into a hug. "Thank you" he mumbled and squeezed me tightly. "It was no big deal" I say. "It was to me. Listen, I'm sorry about how I treated you. I don't even know you that well, and yet I blamed you for everything" Antonio said. "It's okay. Your partner was just killed and your son was kidnapped. I understand why you acted the way you did" I say. "Thanks. I'll see you tomorrow, right" Antonio asked. "Yeah I'll see you tomorrow" I say.

"Yn" someone called out. I turned around to find Archie standing a few feet away from me, and I smiled before running over and hugging him. "Hey babe. What are you doing here" I ask. "Well, I called the district asking what time you'd be finished at work, and the desk sergeant told me you guys were out. When I explained to her who I was, she told me where I could find you" he said. I leaned up and kissed Archie passionately, not wanting to pull away. "I can see your first case was a big one" Archie said. "Yeah. I'm already exhausted" I say. "Lets get home then. We can order your favorite takeout" Archie said. "That sounds amazing. Let's go" I say.