Protect and Serve

Y/n's POV

"So you're doing this with every officer from CPD?" I question and take a seat in front of the interviewer. 

"Yes," the woman replied. "And I'm just simply asking questions designed to forecast future problems." 

"To predict the future?" I ask. 

"No. This is just another supplement to Early Intervention Strategy," the woman clarified. 

"Right, to predict if I'm going to do something stupid on the job in the future. What happens if I answer a question wrong?" I quiz. 

"There is no wrong. Any answer would just help us understand you and who you are," the woman responded. "So how do you like your coffee?" I frowned. That kind of threw me off. Why were they asking about my coffee order?

"Uh, milk, two sugars," I answer.

"And have you always taken it that way?" the woman asked.

I nodded. "Yep. Every morning." And the questions continued, her asking a question and me answering it.

Her: "Have you ever used a racial slur?" 

Me: "Wow. That's one hell of a jump. The answer is no. I haven't." 

Her: "Have you ever heard a family member use a racial slur?" 

Me: "It's possible, but unlikely."

Her: "Would you say you have a good relationship with your family?"

Me: "Very much so. I'm extremely close with them."

Her: "Do you consider the police force your family?" 

Me: "Those in my unit, sure. Everyone else I don't know, no."

Her: "Have you ever felt what you would categorize as anger issues?" 

Me: "I hope not."

Her: "What about trauma?"

Me: "Yes. Too much, to be honest."

Her: "Have you experienced post-traumatic stress?"

Me: "A little bit every now and then."

Her: "Have you ever made a mistake on the job?"

Me: "Depends on what you view as a mistake. I do what I believe is right."

Her: "Have you ever had to fire your weapon?" 

Me: "Every damn week."

Her: "Have you ever killed someone?" 

Me: "More than I'd like to admit."

Her: "Have you ever felt fear on the job?"

Me: "Countless times."

Her: "Do you believe you are the wrong fit for this job?" 

Me: "I believe everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, me included."

Her: "Are you proud to be an officer of the Chicago Police Department?" 

Me: "Not all of the time, but sometimes, yeah. The job makes me feel like I'm doing good for the city."

Her: "Do you believe you're capable, worthy, right?"

Me: "Capable and worthy, sure. Right, well, that depends on my view compared to everyone else's."

........................................

"Was it just me, or did that feel a little personal?" I ask Hailey, Adam, and Kevin as we walked into the district together.

"It definitely wasn't just you," Adam replied as we walked up the stairs to get to the bullpen.