The Docks

Yn's POV

"You could've come to the hospital with us" Jay said. I shook my head and poured myself some coffee. "I'm not his family like you and Erin are. I don't deserve to be there" I say. "Well, he was asking about you" Jay said. "Really" I ask. "Yeah. Really" Jay said as we walked back into the main room.

"Listen up. What Pulpo did downstairs was an attack on our family. First Willhite and now Antonio. So let me be clear. Forget warrants. Forget the rules. It's on us to catch him, and when we do, he's to be handed off to me and Alvin" Voight said. "They found a possible getaway vehicle up on division" Jin said. "Any sign of Pulpo" Adam asked. "One dead male. No confirmation on the body yet" Jin replied. "Let's go" Voight said.

................................

"Well, what do you got" Voight asked the responding officer. "All fake. They took a regular van and put the decals on it, so it looks like a paddy wagon" the man said." The prison transport van that Pulpo escaped in was found six blocks from the district. He ditched it, and he switched to this" Jay said as he got off of the phone. "All right, where's the body" Voight asked. "Over here" the officer said and showed us the dead body slumped in the front seat of the van. "The driver is wearing a mall security badge someone bought at an army surplus store" Jay said. 

"Forensics I.D.'d the prints. His name's Carlos Guvera. He's a known bagman for the Colombian cartel" I say. "Oh, and Pulpo couldn't let the guy live to talk" Al said. "Hey, guys, Pulpo's girlfriend and son were with him. How much you want a bet he's taking his family unit and hightailing it back to Colombia" Erin asked. "We've got his name and his mug shot at every border checkpoint, train station, and airport" Adam said. "If Pulpo planned this far, you better believe he planned for a way to get out" Voight said.

................................

"Hey, anything at Lina's house" Voight asked. "Marshals stormed it, and they came up empty" Adam said. "What about Lina's family" Voight asked. "Her mom's got a place on the south side which came up clean, and so did her cell phone records, but I think it's worth a drive-by" Erin said. "Good. Take Sumner and go do it. So the last guy loyal to him, he kills. No friends, no family. Who else do you have" Voight  asked. "What about Pulpo's lawyer, Anthony Timpone" I ask. "Timpone. He reps half the criminals in the city. He didn't get that rep by cooperating with the police, I'll tell you that" Al said. "I've got an idea. When my parents got divorced, my ma had this guy call in a threat to my dad's office. He was checking for bombs underneath his car for months" Adam said.

We got Garcia, a patrol officer from downstairs, to call in a death threat for us, and it sounded pretty convincing. Voight and Adam then went to talk to Timpone to see if they could give us a lead on Pulpo. "Neil Bunker, he's a notary public. He's got a camera joint on North Clark. Ln and Halstead, hit it" Voight said over the radio. Jay drove us to the address and we got out of the car. "Bunker has been arrested for everything from bogus passports to counterfeit Bulls tickets" Jay said. "Let's see if Pulpo's left any bread crumbs" I say and walked inside. 

"Hey there" Jay said to Neil and showed him his badge. "Welcome. Officers. How can I help you" Neil asked. "Recognize him" Jay asked and showed Neil a picture of Pulpo. "No" Neil replied as I started searching around. "Don't worry about her. Talk with me" Jay said as I continued searching. I found a door in the back with a lock on it, so I pulled out the small pocket knife I had in my pocket and used it to open the lock. "Hey Jay, bring him back here" I say. Jay brought Neil into the back room, and I gestured around the room. "So what's this little operation" I ask.

"It looks like somebody got a haircut" Jay said and walked over to the camera that was set up. After a few seconds of scrolling through the pictures, Jay turned to me. "I've got Pulpo" he said. I shoved Neil down into a chair in front of me so that he had no chance to escape. "Okay, let's start over. Where's Pulpo" I ask. "I know who he is. I'm not having him come after me. You're going to have to arrest me" Neil said. 

"Who said anything about arrest" I ask and pull my pocket knife back out. "You have two choices. Either you tell me about Pulpo, or I slit your throat." "What kind of officers are you" Neil asked. "Just answer the question" Jay said. "Okay. I made him three sets of I.D.'s and a couple of credit cards to match" Neil said. "Was he with a woman and a kid" I ask. "Yes" Neil replied. "And you have no idea where they're going" I ask. "No" Neil said. "All right, lets book him" I tell Jay. "But I talked" Neil said. "Not fast enough" Jay said.

.........................................

"Okay. We've got a hit. Lina's fake I.D., Maria Esposito, was just used along with her fake credit card to rent a vehicle from midway 20 minutes ago" Jin said. "Do you have eyes on them" Voight asked. "Even better. It's got a GPS tracker on it. I've got its exact location. It's heading north on Pulaski" Jin said. "Beautiful. Sumner, you're out" Voight said. "Oh, okay, I'll stay back and watch the-" Voight cut her off. "No, you're out of my unit. You're transferred. As of tomorrow, you work in narcotics." "You can't transfer me" Mia said. "I already made the call" Voight said. "You're making a mistake" Mia said. "My mistake was letting you stay around this long. You've got the day to pack your desk and pass off your files" Voight said.

I got into a car with Jay, Adam, and Erin, and we followed the car to a gas station. At the gas station, we found Osberto in the car and Lina inside. However, Pulpo was nowhere to be found. When Adam and Erin interviewed Lina, she didn't have any useful information for us, so we were basically back to square one. "Everyone go back and check every scrap of paper we have on Pulpo. I don't care if it's a jailhouse lunch wrapper he left in the cage. Every known associate, rival, anything you can find" Voight said.

A few minutes later, I found something. "Hey, guys, check this out. It's a motion for assets petition filed on behalf of Adres Dias. Someone tried to bond Pulpo out" I say. "His bond was set at $1 million. He never made bail" Adam said. "Yeah, but somebody tried. Stepan Nestrov put his nightclub up as an asset, but it wasn't worth enough" I say. "Nestrov is part of the Elston Ave crew. Fresh-off-the-boat Russians shipped over to do dirty work for the old-timers, but they decided to break off on their own" Jay said. "Yeah, and the Russians hate the Colombians" I say. "Then why'd they try to bond Pulpo out" Adam said. "Ln, get the address of that club" Voight said to me.

The team went over to the nightclub and brought back a few guys, Nestrov included. As Jay was searching Nestrov for any dangerous weapons or drugs in the garage, I heard a string of Russian words come from Nestrov's mouth. "What was that" Jay asked. "I'm pretty sure he just called you a bitch in Russian" I say. "Hey, you guys, this laptop you confiscated from his club, I cracked the password, but I can't read any of the emails. They're all in Cyrillic. It's going to take me forever to translate this" Jin said. "Great. I don't suppose we have a cop on shift that reads Russian too" Adam said. "I know a guy" Voight said.

Voight brought over Otis from the Chicago Fire Department to help us read the emails. "It looks like most of these are back and forth to his girlfriend in Moscow. Here's one about a shipment on Aeroflot" Otis said. "What's that" Adam asked. "It's a Russian airline" Otis responded. "You think it's about shipping coke" Jay asked. "I don't know. There's an attachment, though. It's for a transport trailer" Otis said. "You don't need a transport trailer to move a couple of gym bags of coke" Al said. "Yeah, but you do need one for SUV's. This is a bill of lading listing two vehicles being shipped on an aeroflot cargo plane from O'Hare to Moscow" Otis said.

With Otis' help, we were able to find out where the transport truck was going to be, so we suited up and headed out. Once the truck was stopped, Adam took the driver outside so that the rest of us could deal with Pulpo. Jay used some bolt cutters to cut the lock on the back of the truck, and all it took was one smoke bomb to lure Pulpo out. As soon as Pulpo was out of the truck, Voight and Al put him in the car and drove off.

Once the case was over, I drove to the hospital to see Antonio. "How are you doing" I ask. "I'm dying of thirst" Antonio replied. I grabbed Antonio's cup and held the straw up to his mouth so that he could drink some water. "Hey. We got him" I say. "I didn't see it on the news" Antonio said. "I'm not sure you will" I say and take a seat. "Also, sorry for not being here earlier." "I was wondering where you were. Jay said it was because you thought we weren't close enough" Antonio said. "Yeah, well, we've only known each other for less than a year" I say. "You're my partner Yn. That means you're my best friend. Never forget that" Antonio said.