A Little Devil Complex

Yn's POV

"There she is" Kevin said as Erin walked back up the stairs. "All right, let the ball-busting commence" Erin said. I smiled and stood up, giving Erin a hug. "I'm glad you're back" I say. "Me too. I missed our bonding time" Erin said. "So Erin,we're thinking about putting together a task force on how to make coffee" Adam said. "Maybe you can help us arrange a press conference for that" Antonio said. "I've got you started. Cream, two sugars. It's real simple" Adam said. "I am not going to make you coffee" Erin said and turned to Jay. "What about you?" "I wasn't going to say anything, and then Lang called and he said you left your pant suit at the headquarters" Jay said. 

"Hey, kiddo" Voight said and poked his head out from his office. "I want you with Antonio catching up on all the old case files." "I've got to step out for a moment, Sarge" Antonio said. "What's up" Voight asked. "I'll let you know as soon as I find out" Antonio said. "Wait a minute. Does this mean Jay and I are still partners" I ask. "For the time being, yes" Voight said. "Yay! Ln and Halstead are back in business" I say. "I think you mean Halstead and Ln" Jay said. "No, I really don't" I say and pat his cheek.

............................................

"Adrian Gish. CFD is sure he blew up the building that killed Leslie Shay. I for one agree with them. I got the mother of all bad hits off this guy" Voight said. "Wait. We're on an arson case" I ask. "Yeah. Why" Antonio asked. "I've just never done one" I say. "You never did an arson case in Homicide" Jay asked me. "No. My old sergeant, Sergeant Kavanaugh, he believed that arson cases were a waste of time because they were hard to prove, so we never did them" I say. "Well then, get ready to have some fun" Jay said.

"Gish works at Herald Mortgage Company as a proofreader. Lives at 2947 West 21st alone. No known relatives in Chicago" Antonio said. "What's his rush" Adam asked. "According to Kelly Severide, he's an excitement arsonist. He lives in the shadows and gets off on the chaos of the act. This guy killed Leslie Shay, my sister's best friend. Years ago, he killed Peter Mills' father, and burned Chief Boden and who knows how many others. As far as I'm concerned, we don't sleep until this lunatic roasts" Antonio said.

"So how do we handle him" I ask. "We get under his skin. Make him feel us everywhere he looks. Arson is hard to prove unless you catch him in the act, so that's what we're going to do. Pressure the volcano and be there when it erupts" Antonio said. "Olinsky and Ruzek, roll to his workplace. Apparently, Antonio caused a little stir there this morning. My experience is, the office gossips will be bursting to talk to us about this guy. The rest of you, find a common link between the victims of these fires. I want a warrant for this home address ASAP, and make sure you include all electronics in the body of the warrant" Voight said. "Of course" Erin said and picked up her phone.

Once Al and Adam got a hold of Adrian's work file, they sent Jay and I to talk to one of his old professors. "Hi. Detectives Halstead and Ln" Jay said and smirked at me. I wanted to butt in and say that it was "Ln and Halstead", but I kept it professional. "Adrian Gish's resume said that he went to Kellogg for his MBA. You're listed as one of three professors on his advisory committee. We're just hoping you could tell us some more about him" I say. "I remember Adrian. Anyone who was here at that time does. He was gifted" the professor said. "In what way" I ask. "He would light up a room. Intellect, charm. I remember thinking, this young man will be a senator some day" the man said. 

"A senator" Jay asked. "Yes. He never saw his wheelchair as a disadvantage" the professor said. "I'm sorry. Did you say wheelchair" I ask. "Yes. Muscular dystrophy, I think it was" he said. "This man" I ask and show the professor the same photo we had on our white board back at the district. "No. I don't know who that is" the professor replied. "Okay, thank you for your time" Jay said as we walked away. "All right, we need to go to the registrar's office and see if they have an alumni address for the Gish that actually went here" I say.