Burden of Truth

Yn's POV

"So Sean's back. How do you feel about that" I ask Kim.

Kim shrugged. "I don't know. I mean, its good getting to see him again, but its weird."

"Well, I'm just glad you're back. I missed you" I say and give her a hug.

"Thanks. I'm glad to be back" Kim said.

"Ann Hoffman, 15. Clarke Preston, 17. Two more ODs pronounced at Med in the last 24 hours. Their tox report matches our original DOA, Brandi. Mass amounts of fentanyl in their systems" Kevin informed us. 

"Its the same compound product our dealer Logan Peters is pushing. The kid's got a few priors for possession, theft, and a statutory rate charge. He was 23, his girlfriend, 15. The charge was dismissed" Vanessa added.

"All right, and the pills" Voight asked. 

"We're thinking Mexican oxy. It looks, feels, and tastes like regular oxy, but it's fake. Made with fentanyl, instead. Comes directly from cartels, and is dealt to Hispanic gangs in the city" Hailey answered. 

"I got something. Latin Players said Logan wasn't getting product from them. Southside Hustlers were granting him asylum" Sean spoke. 

"Well, that begs the question, where's he getting his product" Kim questioned. 

"A witness popped. A guy across the street from the fire says he saw Logan running towards the L. I pulled the footage. He got off at Wilson" Adam said. 

"All right, so run all Logan Peters' known associates near that stop. I mean, the guy's hiding somewhere, right? We find him, flip him for his supplier, get this product off the street before that board grows" Voight explained.

Kim and Sean ended up getting a lead, and they went to a lake house Logan Peters usually partied at. There, they found Sarah Roman's body. Now, when I learned they found Sarah's body, I thought maybe she had been stabbed or shot or something. However, when I got to the crime scene, it was a whole different story.

"Oh my god" I say and cover my mouth, turning around so that I didn't have to look anymore. Sarah was frozen in the snow covered ground. And when I say frozen, I mean frozen.

"You okay" Adam asked me.

"I just need a minute" I mumble and walk away from the body. 

I took a few deep breaths, scolding myself for acting this way, especially when Sean was right there. Once I had composed myself, I walked over to Sean.

"Hey. I'm uh, I'm sorry about your sister. She didn't deserve this" I state.

"Thanks. Uh, how have you been? Last I heard, you and Jay broke up, but you've got an engagement ring on your finger" Sean pointed out.

"If you would've stuck around, you would've made detective" I announce. "You heard right. Jay and I did break up, but after Erin left, and I got shot, Jay and I found each other again. It's been a rough couple of years, but we've managed to stick together, and I wouldn't want to be with anyone else besides him."

..........................................

"All right, M. E. confirmed it. The DNA found under Sarah's fingernails popped in the system. It was Logan's" Adam said. 

"Somebody tell me we've got something on this prick" Voight spoke. 

"We ran the pill we found at the lake house through ISP. They did confirm that it matches our ODs, but it isn't Mexican oxy. That pill is way too sloppy for the cartels. ISP believes it's homemade" Kevin explained.