Some Friend

Yn's POV

"New shirt" Adam asked me when I walked into work. "What" I ask him. "That shirt. I've never seen it before. Is it new" Adam asked. I looked down and admired the flannel I was wearing. "Oh. It's not mine. It belongs to Johnny" I say. "So you spent the night at his place? Does that mean you're getting serious with him" Adam asked as I set my stuff down. "Relax. We're just having fun for now. I over slept at his place and didn't have enough time to run back to my apartment, so I just borrowed one of his shirts" I say. "All right. I believe you. For now" Adam said.

That's when I looked over and saw a beautiful vase of daisies on Erin's desk. "Oh my god. These are beautiful, Erin. Who sent them" I ask and take a sniff of the flowers. "I think they're from Jay, but he said he didn't send them" she replied. "Yeah, this wasn't Jay. He's more of a 'relax at home with a beer' kind of guy, not a 'bring your girlfriend flowers' kind of guy. Are you going to look into who sent them" I ask. "Jay said he would" Erin said. "Right, well, he'll definitely find who sent them. That's the kind of guy he is" I say.

"All right, Maya Collins. Age 16. I ran her prints; she's got one prior for possession. She's originally from Hailey, Idaho. No known address. Her case agent said that she fell through the cracks in the juvie system" Adam said. "Cause of death is blunt force trauma to the head. There was blood on the edge of the coffee table. It looks like she went into it backwards" Erin said. "M.E. put the death somewhere between 12:00 and 2:00 A.M. The neighbor that called and made the complaint said he heard a girl scream at 12:30, but also said that wasn't out of the ordinary at Jake's house" Jay said. 

"What are we looking at here? I mean, does Jake McCoy have a history of violence" Erin asked. "Well, I met Jake about 10 years or so ago. You know, before I came to Intelligence, I mean. Since then, my contact was pretty sporadic. Now, do I think he's a killer? Not the Jake that I know" Al said. "Well, there is the robbery angle. I mean, the trophy case was cleared out, the house was tossed, and the girl, whatever she was doing there, she might've just been collateral damage" I suggest. 

"It looks live vice was looking at McCoy for serving alcohol to underage girls in his house. Was McCoy into underage girls" Antonio asked Al. "You'd have to ask him, Antonio. You know, Jake's got a gofer, a guy named Freddy Mays. He'd run a guest list" Al said. "All right, let's see if the robbery matches the M.O. of any current crews. Alert local pawn shops, anybody moving McCoy memorabilia. Crack off an investigative alert. Contact CPD at Midway, O'Hare, train stations. Tell our guys to keep an eye out for McCoy" Voight said. "I'll talk to Freddy" Al said. "I'll go with" Antonio said.

.......................................

"Jake McCoy, nice to meet you. I'm Detective Ln. I'll be interviewing you today" I say as Al brought him into the bullpen. "I'll talk to Al. If it's not Al, I want my lawyer here" Jake said. "Let's go" Kevin said and led him towards the interview room. "Okay, so who is doing the interview" Erin asked. "Me and Hank" Al said. "Wait, what" Jay asked. "Do you have a problem" Al asked. "Not with you. I do have a problem, though, with you running point on this, given the givens" Jay said. "I don't have a personal conflict on this case" Al said. "Okay, then drop back. Let one of us handle it" Jay said. "Look, Al has a relationship. Relationships count for something in an interview. Until they don't, which is something I'll determine" Voight said.

In the interview room, Jake said he got back home from his hunting trip late, so he crashed on his daughter Marley's house. "Jake McCoy's daughter said he didn't arrive until 1:15" Erin said. "So if the murder happened at 12:30, he's got no alibi" Jay said. "Anything from Vice on Maya's pimp" Voight asked. "Nothing" I reply. "Okay, what about this laptop of McCoy's? Has it been recovered" Voight asked. "I'm checking pawn shops" Antonio said.

As Voight and Al headed into Voight's office, Erin's phone rang. "Hello" she asked into the phone. After a few seconds, she hung up. "Who was that" I ask. "Don't know. They hung up. Says the call came from Easton, Kansas" Erin replied. "I tracked the florist down. They're in Easton, Kansas. They said the flowers were paid for in cash. There's no way of knowing who bought them. I know it's probably nothing, but I'm going to run the number" Jay said.

"Look at that. That's a good boyfriend right there" I say to Erin, referring to Jay. "You know, Johnny could be a great boyfriend if you let him" Erin said. "How many times do I have to tell you guys I'm not looking for a boyfriend? I'm just having fun" I say. "The sex is good, isn't it" Erin asked me. "Who said we're having sex" I ask. "Well, you're wearing his shirt. Girls only wear a guy's shirt when they sleep over at his place and have nothing to wear the next morning" Erin said. "Okay, so the sex is great, but I'm still not going to date him" I say. "You're impossible" Erin said.

When Al and Voight exited Voight's office, Antonio spoke up. "We got a tip from the pawn shop sweep. Somebody just tried to pawn a bunch of stuff from Jake McCoy. A guy named John Dolan. He's got one prior for burglary" he said. "All right, have Ruzek and Atwater hit it" Voight said before retreating back into his office. "I never get to go out anymore. Sitting in the office sucks" I say. "Maybe Voight doesn't want to risk losing one of his best detectives on the job" Jay suggested. "Maybe" I say.

................................................

"McCoy made videos with three other prostitutes besides Maya. All of them the same thing. No sex, just asking questions" Kevin said. "So McCoy really was trying to help those girls" Al said. "Maybe, but whether or not he killed Maya is still to be determined" I say. "Vice was able to ID one of the girls from the videos. Her name is Alicia Meyers. She's got two priors for solicitation and she got popped in the same sweep as Maya a year ago" Erin said. "They got any information on her pimp" Voight asked. "No, but they know which motel she turns tricks at" Jay said. "You and Ln check it out" Voight said.

I climbed into the passenger seat of Jay's car, and we drove over to a motel. "I never thought I'd see the day when I left the bullpen" I say as I got out of the car. "Yn, you've only been sitting in the bullpen for this case" Jay said. "Yeah, which is a long time" I say. We entered the lobby of the motel, and Jay held up a picture of Alicia to the guy manning the desk. "Hey. We're looking for her" he said. "How long do you want" the man asked. "Excuse me" I ask. "Look, Alicia needs a time so that she can-" I cut the man off and showed him my badge. "CPD. Just tell us where Alicia's room is."

Inside of Alicia's room, we began questioning her. "Look, my friend called me and said there was a party here, so I'm not doing anything illegal" she said. "We're not here to arrest you, Alicia. We need your help" I say. "I'm going to scream. I'm going to scream here in two seconds if you don't leave" Alicia said. "This is your friend, Maya" I say and show her the picture of Maya's dead body. "She was murdered, and we think that whoever she works for, her pimp, did this to her. What's his name" I ask. "Saint" Alicia replied. "Saint's your pimp, too" Jay asked. "Yeah. He killed Maya" Alicia said. "How do you know that" Jay asked. "He has a saying. 'You fly, you die'." 

"So Maya was trying to get out" I ask. "Yeah. That baseball player said he was going to take care of her. To me, he seemed like a regular john" Alicia said. "Alicia, when's the next time you see him" I ask. "No, no, Saint has eyes everywhere" she said. "We're going to get this guy off the street, I promise you that." I say. "Saint comes around at five to midnight to get his money" Alicia said.

When Saint came to pick up his money, we moved in and got him. At the police station, he said he didn't kill Maya. He admitted that he saw her the night she was murdered, but she was alive at that time. Al then went out and talked to Marley, who said her father called Freddy from her phone. Al went and brought Freddy back to the district, and after that, Jake confessed to accidentally shoving Maya into the coffee table where she hit her head and died. However, Freddy went back to Jake's place later that night to stage the house to look like a robbery gone wrong.

"Yn, there's a Detective Novoa waiting in the lobby for you" Platt said to me as she walked upstairs. "Detective Novoa" Erin questioned. "Johnny" I clarify. "So, what? You're going to go back to his place and have a little fun" Erin asked. "I don't know. We'll see. I'll talk to you guys later" I say to everyone. 

When I got downstairs, Johnny was waiting for me. "Hey. What are you doing here" I ask him. "I was thinking we could go back to my place and order some food. I can drive" Johnny said. "What about my car" I ask. "I could always drive you back here in the morning" he said and smiled. "You've got yourself a deal, but only if we get food from the Chinese place down the street from your apartment" I say. "That's fine with me. Lets go" Johnny said and led me out of the district.