In the Dark

Note: Trigger Warning. If you've seen the episode, you know.

Y/n's POV

I sighed in annoyance as I couldn't sleep for the fourth night in a row. The thoughts from the night Roy Walton died plagued my thoughts every night, keeping me from going to bed. I tried drinking warm milk and tea, meditation, even watching tv into the late hours of the night. Nothing worked. I glanced over at Jay, who was sleeping peacefully, and let out a breath. I then threw the blanket off of me and got up to put on some clean clothes. After getting ready, I grabbed my keys and headed out to my car. Once I arrived at the district, I walked upstairs, and I was surprised to find both Hailey and Adam there.

"Hey, what the hell are you doing here?" Adam asked me.

"I couldn't sleep," I confess. "What about you guys? It's 2 a.m."

"I couldn't sleep either," Hailey revealed.

"I'm trying to finish these arrest packets from the drug case. Which, luckily for me, maybe you could help me with," Adam suggested.

"Only because you're my partner and I love you," I tell him. "Hand them over."

"Y/n, you just made the worst decision of your life. These files are gonna take forever," Hailey declared.

"Well, at least we're gonna suffer together then," I say and sit down at my desk.

"So, what's going on? Is Jay snoring? Please tell me he's got some sort of weird thing where he walks in his sleep or something," Adam pleaded.

I laughed. "Why are you asking about that?"

"Cause Jay comes across as perfect," Adam replied. "And no one can be perfect. I refuse to believe that someone can be perfect."

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but he does not have a weird sleeping habit," I inform Adam. "Once he's out, he's out. Dead to the world. This no sleep thing is all on me."

"Besides, Jay is far from perfect," Hailey put in.

"You are not wrong," I murmur. "But I love him nonetheless."

"Fourth request for any available area four detectives. Patrol is still requesting that assist at 53rd and Ada."

"Man, the Homicide dicks are lazy these days," I comment. "It's not that hard to go check out a scene. It should take like 5 minutes max."

"What do you guys think? You wanna go get some fresh city air?" Adam quizzed.

"I really do," Hailey admitted.

"Me too," I agree.

"5021 Ida, hold us down on that assist," Adam announced into his radio.

........................................

I frowned as I went over the address in my head. "Why do I know this address?"

"I don't know. It's registered to a real estate LLC. Looks like it's abandoned," Hailey read from the tablet in front of her. Within seconds, we arrived at the house, and that's when I remembered.

"Holy shit. Adam, this is the death house," I exclaim.

Hailey raised her eyebrows. "The what?"

"53rd and Ada. In Canaryville we called it the death house. It was an urban legend. Something to do with soul sucking," Adam recalled.

"Yeah. Chloe and Ollie used to tell me scary stories about it all the time when I was younger. They freaked me out," I mutter and glance up at the house. The three of us then hopped out of the car, and we met up with an officer at the front of the house.