Senior Year Seperation

Eddie and you were now in your senior year at high school. He had gradually stopped coming round to your house on Sundays with Wayne, he was too busy either playing local gigs with Corroded Coffin or hanging out with the Hellfire Club. To be honest, you rarely had time for Sunday dinner tradition either anymore. Your time was taken up by cheerleading and Chrissy. You were either going to cheer practice in your green Hawkins High uniforms or shopping at StarCourt mall on Saturdays and going to Scoops Ahoy for ice creams.

Your family had noticed you two drifting apart

Your family had noticed you two drifting apart. You had stopped asking Wayne where Eddie was when he started to show up to Sunday dinners alone. They all felt devastated about it, no one could ever have imagined the pair of you being so distant from each other. Your mom missed Eddie's loud laughter ringing in her ears as the two of you joked and messed about with each other around the house.

Wayne was worried. He noticed how much Eddie had changed recently; more empty beer bottles laying around his bedroom and a constant stink of weed wafting from his room. Eddie always smoked and drank, but never in excess like he was now. This had put a strain on the relationship he had with his nephew and Wayne didn't want you to be around Eddie right now, he considered him a bad influence. Your mom and dad wished that you and Eddie would find time for one another again, but no one knew what had even happened to your friendship for it to fall apart in the first place. The family dynamic was broken without the two of you being joined at the hip. It was just the three adults around the table on Sundays now, your absence was felt greatly.

You always smiled at Eddie in the school hallway and then your heart would sink to the pit of your stomach when he looked away in the opposite direction and tried his best to avoid eye contact with you. Anytime you caught his eye, he was always quick to look away and act like you hadn't caught him staring at you from across the room. He didn't sit beside you in class anymore, you didn't sit together at lunch, you no longer met up at your locker after school and he didn't give you a ride home in his van like he used to when he got his drivers licence. He had saved up his money for as long as you could remember to buy the beat up black van from a friend of Waynes, you used to love being his passenger.

It was breaking your heart to not be close to Eddie anymore, you missed him so much and wondered what happened for him to act like you were a stranger to him

It was breaking your heart to not be close to Eddie anymore, you missed him so much and wondered what happened for him to act like you were a stranger to him. You know that he doesn't like the cheer squad or the basketball team guys that you sit with at lunch now, your hobbies aren't in line with each other's and of course neither is your sense of style; but this had never came between you in the first few years of high school, so why now? You ask yourself.