The Elephant In The Room

A fortnight flew by in the blink of an eye, but you and Eddie didn't waste a second of it. You made the most of every single minute, of every single day that you had together before he has to leave for his tour around Indiana and the neighbouring states with the band. The plan is to perform at various bars and clubs around the towns and cities to build up a hype for Corroded Coffin and broaden their fan base. You've both busied yourselves as much as absolutely possible, the aim being to not allow your brains a second to think and process the fact that you will both soon be separated from one another; it's the elephant in the room, so to speak.

You have both admittedly been avoiding the topic, neither of you wanting to spoil your final weeks together before everything changes. You're both over the moon for one another, of course, but you can't help wishing you could go with him as much as he wishes you could join him too. But, you've both got to work on your own career paths and unfortunately, that means making a bit of sacrifice.

Tonight is your last night together before he heads off on tour and will be too busy gigging and working on the debut album to visit you much and similarly, you'll be too busy studying and getting familiar with all the things med school to be able to visit him much either. You sit on the rickety old chair at the kitchen table with your knees pulled up to your chin as you watch him intensely, not wanting to even blink and miss a moment of his presence as he leans against the wall in the kitchen of his trailer with the telephone resting on his shoulder, pushed against his ear.

"Hey there Amy," Eddie says when Jeff's new girlfriend answers the phone at her workplace which just happens to be yours and Eddie's favourite pizza joint.
"Yeah, we're all good, could we get our usual please?" He asks her and there's a quick pause, "yep tomorrow, we head off tomorrow.." Eddie says quietly through the phone and kicks at the cold floor beneath him with his toe, his face falters and you can't help the sigh that escapes you at the mention of him leaving, even if it was brief.
"Alright okay, sure, thanks bye." Eddie says to Amy on the phone before hanging up.

You sit across from one another at the small table in the kitchen for the last time, for a while at least. The pizza box sits open between you both on the table, but you've hardly touched a slice. You're not so hungry and feel already too full of dread and sadness. You notice that Eddie must be feeling the same way as you, he's hardly touched his food at all and you know that's really not like him, he's usually like a rabid animal when it comes to food, especially his favourite pizza.

"You not hungry?" You ask him as you pick at the label of the glass bottle of Coca Cola that sits in front of you on the table, fidgeting with it purely as a distraction.
"I just..." he begins and then gulps audibly. Sighing, he rubs his face in his hands, "nothing, it's nothing, it's fine." He lies.
You both know it's anything but fine, you've been avoiding the subject for weeks now and it seems like you both want to continue avoiding it until the inevitable; maybe if you pretend things are fine for just a little longer it'll be ok.

You don't even need to say it aloud, you both know what's going on in each others minds right now. Eddie rises from the table slowly and shuffles his feet towards you. He kneels by your side and wraps his arms around you, he rests his head heavy in your lap. You crouch in your chair and cradle his head, your nose gets lost in his mess of waves. You feel his body tremble under your touch and it breaks you how much this situation is upsetting him. Clearly neither of you can bare the thought of being apart. You hold him in silence for a few minutes longer until he raises his head from your lap and gazes into your eyes, neither of you saying a single word.

After a moment, you exhale a deep and ragged breath,
"Come on, let's enjoy our dinner and then watch one of our favourite movies." You say, trying your best to smile through the pain. Eddie sulks back over to his own seat. He pats his lap and invites you to sit on it, something you cannot deny him. You place yourself onto his awaiting, empty thighs and nestle yourself in comfortably against his chest. You grab a slice of pizza and begin feeding it to him, he chuckles, grabbing the slice from you and taking a bite. You get yourself a slice and force yourself to gulp it down although you've no appetite.