Mom & Dad

It's Sunday, you can smell the chicken roasting in the oven and hear your mom singing along to the radio as she cooks the weekly tradition meal. Your dad is watching the TV in the lounge and you go and sit on the chair beside him, the one Wayne typically fills at the weekend but he hasn't arrived over for dinner yet.

"Nice to see you here on a Sunday, it's been a while Y/N." He says, barely glancing away from the TV screen.
"Yeah well, Chrissy is away with her family today, it's her moms birthday. So nothing better to do than hang with you oldies I guess!" You laugh.
"Hey, we are not old! And you used to love Sunday's with us, all together." He replies.
"Hmm suppose, but I'm not a kid anymore." You say, looking down into your lap and picking at the skin around your finger nails, it makes you emotional thinking of how Sundays used to be and how different they are nowadays.

"You seen much of Eddie recently?" Your dad asks, he's looking at you now and waiting for your reply.
"Yeah, just at school." You sigh.
"What's going on there kid, do you want to talk about it?" Your dad asks, looking at you with concern in his eyes.
"I don't really wanna talk about it dad. I don't even know myself what happened, we just aren't close anymore I guess." You say quietly, avoiding your dads eye contact as you don't want him to see how much the Eddie situation upsets you.

"Well you know you can talk to us about it Y/N, we all wish you would just quit whatever is going on and go back to being friends. We hate seeing you like this." Your dad tells you. There's a long pause before you say,
"Wayne should be here already, what's taking him so long, I'm starving" trying to change the topic.
"Probably trying to sort out that boy." He replies.
"What do you mean?" You ask, you had wanted to change the topic but you're also worried for whatever your dad could be implying about Eddie.

"Oh you know, trying to sober him up, pull the spliff out his mouth but it seems to be glued in place. You know what Eddie is like. He's only getting worse so Wayne tells me. Always drunk, high or both." Your dad tells you.
"Are things really that bad?" You ask. You knew he smoked a lot, you'd also heard the rumour he was dealing but you wouldn't tell your parents that.
"Yeah well, Wayne says he has been off the rails a bit. You know, living a Rockstar lifestyle while still in high school. Drinks beer and smokes weed all damn day. Stays out late, lays in his bed all day at weekends with the music blasting. These passed few months Wayne says he's been worse than ever." Dad says.

"I didn't know.. I do hope he's ok and isn't being too much trouble for Wayne." You reply, picking at your finger nails again and staring down at your lap. Your heart feels heavy and there's a knot in your stomach, you feel concerned for your ex friend, it sounds like he's going through something and you feel guilty that you are not there for him since you have drifted apart. You can feel tears brimming from your eyelashes so you quickly excuse yourself from the room and calm yourself down in the private of the hallway.

"Do you need any help mom?" You ask as you enter the kitchen, the delicious smell of dinner making your stomach growl with hunger.
"Not really honey, dinner is almost ready, just waiting on Wayne. Maybe you could set the table for me?" She asks while stirring the contents of the boiling pots of the stove top.
"Yep sure, can do. Just the 4 of us yeah?" You ask her, assuming it'll be you, Mom, Dad and Wayne around the table.
"Yes sure is. Do you remember how to set a table, been a while since you've been here on a Sunday!" She says jokingly, but it's true, it has been a while since you've joined the 3 of them for dinner. Which used to be the 5 of you, including Eddie. You shake your head to clear the memories rising again from your childhood, not wanting the tears to reappear.

"Yeah yeah, you and dad have both had your dig. I'm not a kid anymore mom, I have other things to be doing with my Sunday's." You say loudly as you clatter around the kitchen collecting cutlery and glassware for the table.
"Well you never used to complain, you loved your Sunday dinner. I loved to watch you and Eddie stuff your faces full of food as fast as you could as if it was a race, so you could get back outside to the swing set." She says as she glances out the kitchen window towards the garden that you and Eddie spent so much time playing in together as kids.

"Or when I would need to shout your names again and again at the top of my voice from the bottom of the stairs, trying to pull you both away from whatever scary movie you guys were watching in your room to join us at the table for dinner. Your faces were always as white as ghosts when you came downstairs, gosh, yous would always scare yourselves silly! I never knew why you both insisted on watching horror movies I swear it was just to show off to one another!" She laughs aloud, before going quiet and continuing mashing the potatoes, mulling over the many memories she had of watching the pair of you growing up. How she missed those days.

You didn't really talk about Eddie much anymore, it had been a long time since he had stepped across the threshold of your home, which was once basically his own second home.
"Yeah, well. Things change mom, people change." You say quietly, as you enter the kitchen again and lean against the countertop, now staring out at the swing set you have so many memories playing on with Eddie as children.

"Oh Y/N, it doesn't have to be this way you know, you were once best friends, maybe one day you can be again. I miss him, I'm sure you miss him. I bet he misses you as well." She says, and lets out a sigh.
"Well mom it's not my fault, we aren't in the same friend group anymore. I have tried to smile at him in the hallways and he blanks me like we are strangers! I don't know what his problem is. And dad says he's been hard work for Wayne as well.." You say.

"You know how Eddie is, he is always deep in his thoughts. He puts up a great façade to make everything seem ok, you were the only person he opened up to, maybe he is going through something." She says.
"Anyway, I don't want to talk about it. Whatever. We aren't friends anymore. He barely looks at me, I don't think he likes me much anymore. It's fine, I'm over it.." You say, trying hard to not show an ounce sadness in your voice but you can feel a lump in your throat and a stinging at the bridge of your nose, as if one more mention of Eddie and the tears will flood.

"Sure, okay honey. Maybe one day you pair will figure it out." Mom says, a hopeful tone to her voice.
"Maybe.." you reply, still looking out the window and picturing Eddie pushing you so high on the swing that your stomach would hurt with laughter, you quickly snap out of it and leave the room before your mom notices the tears beginning to well up in your eyes again.

Just as you leave the kitchen and wipe away the tear that escaped your eyelashes and is now rolling down you cheek, you hear the front door swing open and the sound of heavy boots step inside. Wayne must be here, you think to yourself and begin heading down the hall to greet him.