I Wish I Knew

You're sitting by the phone, trying to build up the courage to call Eddie and invite him over to your place when suddenly, the shrill noise of ringing cuts through the silence in the room and pulls you from your thoughts. Your breath hitches and you're hesitant to answer it at first. You're not sure who is calling, it probably won't be Eddie and is probably just someone looking for your mom or dad, so you pick it up after a few long rings.

"Hello, Y/L/N residence." You answer. There's a short moment of silence before the voice on the other end of the line says,
"What's your favourite scary movie?" In a creepy, dark voice. What the hell, you think to yourself, is this some sort of prank? You can feel your heart rate kicking up a notch. Before you can even answer the spooky voice that is on the other end of the line, their laughter almost deafens you through the phone. You recognise the laugh straight away.
"Eddie, you dick!" You shout, clutching a hand over your chest. He continues to laugh for a moment more before saying,
"Sorry, sorry... thought that would be funny. Did I scare ya?" He asks, catching his breath from laughing so hard.
"No, I was not scared!" You lie, "I was ready to tell whoever it was to fuck off I don't take kindly to prank calls." You tell him. You are smiling stupidly big on the other end of the line, his laughter has a way of making you smile when you hear it, it's the sweetest most goofiest sound you can imagine.

"Anyway, what you calling me for? I was actually just about to call you as a matter of fact." You tell Eddie.
"Aww well..." he hesitates, "I was just wondering since I don't start playing at The Hideout til next Friday if you wanna spend my last unemployed Friday night with me?" He asks you.
"Sure, that's why I was calling you actually, wanna come over to my place?" You reply, the butterflies in your stomach awakening as you realise tonight is going to be thee night, make or break time.
"Well actually, I thought maybe we could do something else for a change. I've got a plan in mind." He tells you.
"Ohhh, what's your plan?" You ask Eddie.
"It's a surprise." He says quickly, "pick you up around 6?" He asks.
"Hmmm okay, I'll see you then." You say, wondering what the surprise could be.
"See you at six, princess." Eddie says before the line dies.

This is it, you think to yourself. It's time to physically and mentally prepare yourself for the events of tonight, this could either be the greatest or most disastrous night of you and Eddie's friendship. You try not to dwell too much on the negative thoughts circling your head but you can't help play the devils advocate. No matter what happens, rejection, regret or whatever, you will ensure that you and Eddie remain friends and that there is no awkwardness or bitterness there. Even if he doesn't feel the same way about you as you do him, it's gonna hurt like hell but you will survive it and you know you must keep your friendship alive as that's the most important thing.

You're nervous, there's no denying it, you can barely keep down the meal that your mom has cooked you for dinner. You push the food around the plate and avoid eye contact with your parents, they can always tell when there is something going on in your mind but you don't want to talk about it with them. Of course they would be understanding and supportive of your feelings for Eddie, but if those feelings aren't reciprocated you wouldn't like to have to tell them that and rub salt in the wound. You make your way back upstairs to your bedroom as soon as you can, tossing half of your dinner into the trash but your mom doesn't question it luckily.

Firstly, you head for a shower, hoping the warm water and steam will help you relax a bit, your shoulders are tense and your stomach feels like it's on a high spin wash cycle. You massage your favourite shampoo into your hair, the one you know Eddie loves the scent of. You wash yourself in a cherry scented shower scrub, Eddie loves cherries. The shower does help to ease your nerves a bit, but clearly your brain can't stop thinking about him. Every step of your shower routine so far, you've thought about Eddie. You let the water run off of the top of your hair and cascade down between your shoulder blades for a while, you lean against the cool tiles of the shower and have a minute to yourself, the noise of the water battering down almost silences your thoughts, almost.