Sunday Dinner Surprise

As you reach the bottom of the hallway you begin saying,
"Hey Wayne, long time no...." You stop. Frozen. Your shoulders suddenly feel the weight of cinder blocks as your eyes set upon not just Wayne, but Eddie standing slumped in the doorway behind him.

"Surprise

"Surprise.." Wayne says, gesturing toward Eddie as your mom comes out of the kitchen and down the hallway towards them. Her eyes instantly lighting up when she sees that Wayne has brought Eddie with him, for the first time in a long time.
"What a fabulous surprise! Eddie darling, how are you?" Your mom gushed, as she rushes toward them at the door, taking their coats and getting a good look at Eddie, her eyes wide.
"Look how tall you've gotten Ed, feels like years since I last seen you!" She says, as she looks up at Eddie, he is easily a head taller than her.

"Hey Y/M/N (your moms name). Yeah it's sure been a while." He mumbles and scratches the back of his neck while looking down at his feet. He hasn't looked at you yet. Wayne gives you a warm smile and nudges your shoulder lightly with his closed fist.
"Missed you as well kid, you also too busy for us these days?" He asks, patting your shoulder with his gentle hand.
"Yeah, Chrissy is busy today so, here I am.." You say quietly, stealing a quick glance at Eddie who is staring down at his feet, his head bowed between his shoulders.

You walk away from them and head towards the dining room table to take your place in a seat, silently. You no longer feel hungry, that feeling has been replaced with an uneasy sickness and butterflies doing a jig in your stomach. Wayne and Eddie follow you towards the dining table and your mom rushes to set Eddie a place, right next to you, like it always was when you were kids.

Eddie is hesitant at first as he pulls out the chair, shifting it further apart from yours before he slumps down into it and rests his elbows on the table, resting his head in his hands. Wayne takes his usual spot at the bottom of the table, just as your dad appears out of the lounge.

"Oh my god, you're a sight for sore eyes son!" He exclaims, coming up from behind Eddie and slapping two hands onto each of Eddie's shoulders, giving him a rattle then taking one hand and ruffling it through Eddie's already messed up wavy hair.
"Yep it's been a while." Eddie replies as he pats down his hair and readjusts in his chair.
"Well you're here now, that's the important thing." Your mom says as she carries warm plates piled high with food and places one in front of Eddie and then Wayne before returning to the kitchen and grabbing another two plates for you and your dad.

Your dad takes his place at the top of the table, before pouring water for you and Eddie into glasses, a large glass of wine for your mom and cracks open two cold beers for him and Wayne.
"Cheers bud." He says, as he hands Wayne a bottle and they both take a quick sip before grabbing at their cutlery and digging into the meal just as your mom takes her seat and says,
"Well tuck in guys! But no racing now you pair," she says, gesturing towards you and Eddie. "I know how yous used to gulp dinner down so you could escape and play some more!" She joked, with a smile fluttering between you and Eddie.