Overthinking Is A B*tch

You've barely moved an inch since the phone call with Eddie that's left you in a state of confusion. Who the fuck is Alice, you ask yourself. He's never mentioned an Alice before, you know that Warren is sometimes with them and one of the other guys that works at Nova Records but there's never been mention of a girl.

It could be nothing, you tell yourself. But then again, it could be something, your brain warns you. You don't want to start overthinking it, you trust him, you do. But there's something about being miles apart from him, not seeing him in weeks, only having short conversations over the phone and then hearing him shout on some other girl you've never heard of when he thought he'd hung up the phone that's knocked you sick.

You wrack your brain trying to think of an Alice being mentioned as part of the Nova Records crew but nothing comes to mind. You lay in your bed and stare at the ceiling, surrounded by textbooks, but your brain is too busy to be able to concentrate on them right now. Alice, Alice, Alice you repeat over and over in your head.

You've learned from experience that it's best to be straight with him and not jump to conclusions, that can only cause trouble and you learned it the hard way when you mistook him for someone else kissing that redhead in the parking lot. So you'll just wait up for his call when he's back at the hotel and hopefully the record can be set straight. But in the mean time, your brain does what it does best and overthinks every detail, of anything, ever.

Hours have passed and he's still not called you back. You turn your head to the side to glance at the alarm clock that sits beside the phone, 12:15am it reads. He called you at 10pm, you were only on the phone for about 5 minutes before the call ended so you've been laid in your bed staring at the ceiling and allowing your brain to work overtime for 2 hours and 10 minutes now. You start to worry that he's not going to call you back at all and you'll be stuck with this feeling of dread all night until he hopefully rings you in the morning. But what if he doesn't phone you in the morning, then you'll be worrying about it all day until he eventually phones you again tomorrow night.

You can't bare to wait any longer, but you don't know what hotel he's staying at so you can't even call there. Would finding out what hotel the guys are staying at and calling it up at 12.15am, asking to be put through to Eddie Munsons room make you look like a crazy girlfriend? Possibly. So you push that thought to the back of your mind. You keep telling yourself you trust him, so why would you have any reason to doubt him? Alice could just be the bartender at the venue or a roadie or something, who knows. But you want to know and you need to know, so you can sleep peacefully tonight and not be paranoid about it.

Another long 15 minutes pass, you lay on your side staring at the phone, wishing it to ring. And then it does. You pause for a moment, almost scared to confront him. Then you remind yourself how silly you're being, come on Y/N it's nothing, there will be a simple explanation, you tell yourself. You grab the phone and pull it onto your bed, answering it before the insistent ringing wakes your parents.

"Hey, so sorry it's late babe, I didn't wake you did I?" Eddie's raspy voice says through the phone.
"No it's okay, I was awake." You tell him, you can feel your heartbeat in your ears.
"What are you doing up so late?" He asks you, "I mean I'm glad you are, now that I'm finally alone you can tell me all about your day." He says. You smile, it's so cute that he wants to know how your day has been. But then you remember you've got to awkwardly ask him who Alice is and his answer determines everything.

"Oh I was just, uhm, studying." You lie. Although you had been studying before the first phone call, but couldn't bring yourself to lift a textbook afterwards, even if you did you wouldn't have been able to concentrate on the text anyway.
"Working hard baby, that's what I like to hear, you'll be top of your class in no time." Eddie chuckles and you can hear him rustling around, presumably getting himself comfortable.
"What took you so long?" You ask plainly.
"Huh?" He replies.
"I said what took you so long, you called me at 10 and now it's way passed midnight." You say.
"Oh, well I.." he pauses, "we hung out backstage for a while and had a few beers so, sorry it's late, maybe I shouldn't have called." He says, he sounds tired.