Bonnie & Clyde Part 3

A/N:- Eddie POV

"Mr Munson," Chief Hopper clears his throat as he shuffles through a stack of papers, the top one has a ring from his coffee mug stain on it.
"Chief Hopper," I reply, folding my arms across my chest and stretching my legs out below the table, just trying to get comfortable.
"You know how this goes, I'll need to record this conversation, you're not under arrest I've just got to ask you a couple of questions, okay?" Hopper says, leaning over the table with his finger hovering above the 'play' button on the tape recorder.
"Let's do this." I reply nonchalantly.

I may appear to Hopper as calm and collected, almost unbothered by the reasons that I find myself sitting here, across from him, in this interview room right now. But truth be told, I am fucking shitting it. Not for myself, though, for Y/N. First of all, I don't even know how her series of questions with Hopper went yet. Did she stay calm, did she remember everything in detail, did Hopper understand why the events resulted in her kneeing Billy in the balls? God knows he deserved it, but did she manage to convince Hopper of this?

If Y/N ends up with an assault charge on her record, she can kiss goodbye to her nursing career before it even begins, and that is what has me sweating bullets right now. This is my fault. I belong in this room, she doesn't. Billy would never have done this to her if it hadn't of been for me. I have no doubt he would've still tried it on with her in The Hideout that night, but if I hadn't of gone to his house the following night, then he might have left her alone. Might. Instead, he's got her pulled into the police station for questioning on assault allegations. The asshole really doesn't know when to stop.

Then again, if she has managed to convince Hopper that she acted out of fear from Billy, having been cornered by him and she was only sticking up for herself, self defence and all that, then maybe she'll have already walked out of here a free woman. Then I would only have myself to worry about, but I cannot focus without knowing what's going to happen to her. Is she ok? Is she not ok?

"Is Y/N ok?" I blurt out to Hopper, his eyes lift from the papers in front of him to meet mine.
"She's fine, Eddie," he assures me," she's outside in the hallway waiting for you," he tells me and suddenly I feel like I can breath easily again. Well at least she's not down in the cells, that must be a good thing.
"So she's- she's not in trouble or anything?" I ask him, needing further reassurance before I feel able to go ahead with my own interview.

"She's not in trouble, don't worry about it, kid," he smiles tight lipped across the table at me and I mimic it. I'm grateful that it is Hopper questioning both of us today, he's a pillar of our community, everyone knows and trusts him. He's a decent man, a good judge of character and he's gotten me out of a tight spot more than once over my youth. I'll never forget the way he laid a hand on my shoulder when I watched my own dad being arrested, back when I was just a shitty little kid with a stupid buzz cut hairdo, wearing jeans 2 sizes too big with a piece of string for a belt.

"Anyway," he coughs to clear his throat, "we're here today due to a complaint filed against you of alleged assault at the address of Billy Hargrove on the night of Sunday February 24th, can you recall what you did that day?" Hopper asks me, he retrieves a blank sheet of paper and a black ball point pen, readying himself to note down my words. I blow out a long breath, preparing myself. I've been questioned by Hopper enough times to know that it's better to tell the truth than to try and lie my way out of it. He'll only know by the shaking of my leg underneath the table or the way I twist my rings nervously that I'm lying to him anyway.

"Alright if I smoke?" I ask him as I tug my pack of cigarettes and lighter out of my vest pocket.
"Go ahead," he gestures with his hand as I'm already lighting up. I let the nicotine soothe my anxiety as I begin to recall that day.
"Well, I got up in the morning and did some housework," I begin and I can see Hoppers lips upturn into a slight smirk, clearly at the thought of me, Eddie Munson, playing housewife, "then I tried to cook some eggs for Y/N waking up but honestly they just ended up in a disaster, I probably wouldn't feed them to the stray cat that lives in the stairwell," I snort, "but anyway that's besides the point."