Thirty six

Yeh update padhke mujhe hate math karnaaa please.....

Sunday morning:

It was a chaotic morning for Nandini. She was happy to be there after a long time and it couldn't have been a better time than Radhika's wedding.

She got up and quickly freshened up. As the function was in the evening, she was wearing a simple chudidar which Lakshmi aunty gave her. She was looking extremely pretty in the royal blue suit and orange dupatta.

She had breakfast and saw Peter standing and watching something weirdly making faces

She had breakfast and saw Peter standing and watching something weirdly making faces. She went to him and patted his shoulder.

"Oh Hi Mam! Good morning" he said turning back.

"Call me Nandu" she said and he smiled.

"What were you looking at Peter? And what's with those faces... ahah you looked funny?" she said laughing.

"I don't know what they are doing Nandini. There's some yellow paste and they are applying on her face and hands. I was wondering what that is and these ladies are singing some songs which I literally do not understand. Would you mind explaining" he asked.

"Sure! Come with me" she said and took him to the garden where the Haldi function as going on. Judy was also having the similar expressions. Both sat next to her.

"Hello Mom" she said.

"Hello sweetie! So yes, I was explaining Peter what that is. Do you want to know?" she asked her.

"I would love to" Judy replied.

Well, so this is called haldi ceremony. It is held at both the bride and the groom's place, on the morning of the wedding day generally.

They make a paste using haldi which we call turmeric powder and different ingredients according to individual family customs like rose water or sandal wood. This paste is then applied on the bride and the groom's face, neck, hands and feet, by their near and dear ones. It is said that whoever gets touched by this paste will soon find a good looking partner" she was interrupted by peter.

"Nandu I am still not married and I don't have a girlfriend too. Can I join them?" peter asked.

Nandini started laughing and said, "Sure Peter! You can. I will tell aunty but first let me complete the story" she said. He sat down listening to her.

"The bride and groom are usually not allowed to leave their home after the haldi ceremony, till their wedding time. The yellow color of turmeric is considered very auspicious in the Indian traditions. The auspiciousness of this ingredient and its color ushers in a life of prosperity for the couple, who are starting off their new life together. It is a good way to relieve wedding day anxiety and jitters, you know because it's fun...as you see" she finished.