She hit me - Patton & Roman

9:14am

Trigger warning: slightly (not entirely) abusive parent, mentions of drugs, mentions of alcohol addict

AU

Patton leaned against the sink in the public bathroom, elbows pressed against the counter, holding up his head as water droplets poured down his cheeks, splashing against the cracked marble. His cheek still radiated slight pain from occurrences that happened earlier that day. Sniffling, he didn't know what to do. He didn't want to go back, he couldn't face her again, he's tried for months to try and change her - to help her bring her life around, but no matter how much he was doing, it didn't help her. At all.

Was he just a bad son? That's what he thought, he couldn't help his own Mother, and instead is hear, in a stores bathroom, crying endlessly. He was pathetic.

His sagged body tensed when he heard the squeak of the bathroom door. Assuming it was a random customer, he splashed water against his face after placing his glasses to the side, waiting for them to finish and leave so he could go back to wallowing.

"Patton?"

Shoot - cursing to himself, Patton knew that voice, it was his brother.

Slowly standing up, he fumbled for his glasses, putting them back on his nose hurriedly.

"H-hey, Roman!" He stammered, forcing a nervous smile at the slightly taller boy. Patton hasn't seen Roman in awhile, when their parents split up, they took one child each - they were only ten, so they didn't have much choice. They hated it, and made sure to see each other every day in school, but when Patton's Mother made sure to swap schools, and their times on the weekend grew shorter and shorter, by the time they were fourteen they hadn't seen each other for months.

It hurt both of them, but they wanted to be strong for their parents.

Now, though, regretfully it was...odd...to see the other. Patton hated it, he wanted things to go back to normal between the two, but when he looked at Roman - both boys now sixteen - he didn't know who he saw. He had changed a lot, so had Patton of course, but he just wished they were together while that happened.

"Why are you crying..?" Roman drifted, breaking the long awkward silence that had settled.

"I-well-it-" Patton bit his lip, "sad movie!" It was the best he could come up with, he wasn't the best liar, but he knew Roman knows how bad he could get with sad movies.

Crossing his arms over his chest, Patton noticed how regal he looked. Now he wondered if his Dad had married into royalty, because Roman looks like he's fit to be a Prince.

"You watched a sad movie...in Target?" Roman questioned, obviously not believing any excuse Patton gave.

"What's taking so long, Ro?"

Oh no, not him!

Their Dad stepped inside, pausing when he saw both of his sons standing opposite each other. "Oh...hello, Patton" he smiled, walking over to stand beside Roman, feeling the awkward tension.

"How's...your Mother?" He started up conversation, watching Patton shrug meekly, head tilting downwards. He and his Dad didn't really have a good relationship, even when they did live together. While Roman enjoyed sports, Patton didn't, he enjoyed dolls, and things alike, so their Dad never knew what to do...with him. He wasn't against it, he did find it cute, but he never knew how to start up conversation - it was mostly why he let their Mother take him. He loved him, but he felt Patton would have a better life with her.