A child - Patton & Lilith

3:01pm

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive; no wonder everyone keeps invading you" — The Doctor

Au

Patton hummed a delightful tune while plucking blackberries from the tall bush that loomed over him. The sun was high above him in the air, creating a nice amount of heat that battled the cold winds. Being out in nature was a favourite pass time of his, and now it was the perfect time of year to go berry-picking, he couldn't think of anything better to do! Especially as he gets to make pie from this, and his friends absolutely adore his pies, and as he loves making them happy, he has no quarrels in hunting around the beaten out path beside the lake, filling up his red shiny bucket full of the juicy fruit.

Plopping a cheeky berry into his mouth, he turned on his heel and carried on down the path, smiling at a few birds that zoomed overheard, or the rare squirrel scuttling up the tree. The sound of the flowing water soothed him, making him feel like it was only him and nature, no one else existed, just him, his berries, and the animals hidden in their homes.

He decided to rest for a bit, sitting on an abandoned bench that must've been made years ago, yet it was still here, standing on it's last legs. Kicking his legs back and forth, he couldn't help but eat a few of the berries alongside his sandwiches and cookies he brought along in his bag.

While he became lost in the content sounds of nature, his ears picked up another sound, something he wasn't expecting to hear;

A baby's cry.

At first, he assumed they belonged to a family who were hiking through the forest like he was, but when it seemed five minutes had passed and the baby hadn't stopped, he started to become worried. Packing away his things, he picked up the red bucket and used the stones to hop over the river, climbing up the bank on the opposite side to the bench and scurrying along through the leaves and shrubbery to where he could hear the cries coming from.

Not long later, he found himself at the edge of the forest that looked out to a yellow field. This was the opposite end to where he usually travels, as this field was owned by the farmer living in the house in the far distance. He wasn't trespassing, but he wasn't about to push it and actually go onto the field - instead, he walked along the edge, peering around a tree to spot a baby, laying in a basket that swung gently in the wind from a low-hanging branch.

He let out a gasp, placing the bucket on the ground before hurrying over to the baby, picking up the note that was tucked to their side.

Please look after my Lilith, I can't
cope anymore, she's too much,
she won't stop crying, I feel
like I'm going insane. Please,
please don't let my baby girl
die.

Patton blinked, gazing at the baby who had stopped crying, instead they were staring at him with wide, innocent sparkling green eyes. He smiled softly, yet felt a pang of sorrow for the girl, why had the mother left her here of all places? The chances of someone finding her up here were slim, especially if they even wanted to come up all the way. Gently, he folded the note and returned it to it's original position, leaning forward to stroke the girls cheek - the girl he assumed to be call Lilith.

"Hey" Patton said softly, giggling when Lilith clasped her small hand around his thumb, lips parted as she gazed up at his face. How could anyone abandon such a beautiful baby? He pulled his phone and snapped a picture, sending it to his friend/crush, Logan.

Moments later, he responded with a text.

Logan 💙 - I thought you were picking blackberries? Why do you have a baby?