Old friend - Roman & Virgil

11:05pm

Am I (kinda, loosely) basing this off what happened to me today? Yes. 

Au

"Roman!" Roman's mother called from the bottom of the staircase up to her son who was currently hurrying down the upstairs hallway, rapidly texting his friends. "Yes, Mother?" He replied, gaze not removing from his screen, grinning at the replies he received in the group chat he was added to - it was full of all the theatre nerds from his school, and he always had a wonderful time conversing with them.

"Me and your Nan have arranged for you to go over hers today and spend the night"

At first, Roman didn't comprehend what she said, instead letting it linger in his mind while he typed out a reply. Once he finally registered what she said, his head snapped to see her smug smirk, stuttering and floundering for a response. "B-but m-Mom-!" He tried, but she only held up one finger and ventured through the house to the kitchen. Roman pocketed his phone and headed after her in a flurry, asking why they had set this up without asking him first.

"Because I knew you would've said no! You used to spend countless weeks over there when you were young" his mother reminded, as if that would change his mind.

"But it's not fair!" He whined like a child, "I have a party to go to tonight!" He added, praying that would sway his mother, but she was stubborn, and told him he should cherish time with his family over his friends. Now, Roman loved his nan dearly, don't get him wrong, but, god, she really got on his nerves sometimes! Not only does she always pester him about his future, reminding him whenever she could that his acting probably wouldn't go anywhere, but it was impossible to say no to her! She'd find away around people's plans, wedging herself in so they would have to do something with her.

Also, it seemed like Roman was her child, too! Always bringing him along on her grocery shopping, or trips to town. He would much rather hang out with his friends, who were for one were much better company, and didn't ask question after question...ugh! Like he said, he loved her, he really did, she was a wonderful woman, but holy shit did Roman want to die sometimes in her presence.

Heartbrokenly, he told his friends he couldn't make it to the party. They all told him they would miss him, and it wouldn't be the same without him. They also promised to call him through it, so he could at least somewhat be there, while also being miles away.

When he heard the doorbell go off downstairs, he sighed and dragged a hand down his face. Might as well get this over with. Grabbing his bag full of stuff he needed for his night over, he listened to the conversation his mom and nan shared downstairs, shooting his friends quick texts that he would be back later before stuffing his phone into his pocket and leaving his room.

Down the hallway, another door opened, and he spotted his younger sister. Now, she was vastly different from him when he was that age - as she acted the same way he did now towards their nan, instead of begging to go over her house every other day like he did those years ago. He didn't know why, but he guessed it was because she preferred her solitude than being around someone who offered them this and that, not letting them get a word in between conversations.

She heard nan's voice, spotted the bag on Roman's back and smirked, sending him a look that could only be described as 'good luck' before disappearing into the bathroom. Roman slumped even further, but as he descended the staircase, he straightened his posture and plastered on a smile, greeting his nan cheerily.

"Hey, Roman" she smiled, bringing him into a hug. He looked at his mother over his shoulder, pouting slightly. All she did was silently laugh into her hand, shaking her head lightly. "I have a lot of things planned for you tonight" his nan winked, turning to her daughter afterwards. Roman rolled his eyes, of course she did. Whenever Roman was with her, if they weren't in town doing mundane tasks, they were at the cinema, or cafe, or theme park - she loved spending her time doing something fun with her "children".