Code words - Patton & Roman & Logan & Virgil & Remy & Deceit

8:16pm

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you

Trigger warning: peer pressure, almost-kidnap

Au

"Roman, Kiddo?" Patton called sweetly to his son who looked up from his younger baby brother, Virgil, who rolled around in his crib, clenching onto a small teddy tightly. "Yeah, dad?" He responded, moving across the room to sit beside him when he patted the spot on the couch.

"You're starting middle school how, and I want to give the same rules I gave to Logan when he was your age" Roman nodded, sitting up right and attentive. Before he got to speak, Roman's two younger twins stumbled in through the door - it was Remy and Deceit, they had obviously gotten bored with what they were doing, and wanted to see what everyone else was getting up to. They were only young, and just started kindergarten.

"Daaaad" Remy smiled when they found their dad, climbing onto his lap while whispering; "yasss". Deceit, on the other hand, climbed up and sat beside Roman who smiled and wrapped an arm around his shoulders. Virgil began to cry, as if he could sense he was being left out, and Patton sighed fondly, holding Remy in one arm while he picked up Virgil.

"Looks like I'll tell all of you" Patton giggled, sitting cross-legged with Remy on his lap, and Virgil in Remy's lap.

"When Logan was younger, your age" Patton began, gesturing to his second oldest child. "I taught him some code words to keep him safe" Roman nodded to show he was listening, Deceit slowly began to suck his thumb, staring at his dad with wide, curious eyes. Remy, on the other hand, kept their gaze on Virgil, making sure one arm was holding his head up, even if he was old enough to hold it up himself. Even with most of their attention on their baby brother, Remy still managed to listen to their dad.

"If his friends were to invite him out when he did not want to, or do something he didn't want to do, he would call me up and ask for "permission"" Patton explained in the best way he could, "on the end, he would add 'please, dad?' and I would know he didn't want to go - so, I wouldn't allow it" Patton smiled, tilting his head to the side, hoping Roman understood.

The boy dressed brightly slowly nodded, "but I call you dad... what if I say it accidentally when I want to go?"

"That was only because he preferred to call me father, little Prince" Patton smiled lovingly, patting his knee. "You can says 'please, father?' instead, okay? I'll come pick you up as soon as I can" Roman nodded and beamed, waving his wooden sword in the air. "And I'll protect myself until you arrive!" He declared, nearly knocking into Deceit who fell onto his side, head now resting on Patton's knee.

"Be careful, little Prince" Patton chuckled softly, scooping Deceit up so he could also sit in his lap beside Remy. He kissed both of their cheeks, giggling when they whined and whipped at their faces vigorously. (Remy made sure to keep Virgil up right as they did).

"I'll look after Virgil, why don't you two play outside? It's a lovely day" Remy and Deceit contemplated the offer for a moment, in the end they agreed, Remy carefully handing Virgil over before they were following their twin across the house, their voices disappearing as they stepped outside. Patton made a mental note to check on them later.

"Roman, one more thing" Patton called him over, cradling Virgil as he spoke. "I didn't want to say this with the twins because I didn't want to scare them, but if a stranger ever comes up to you and tells you I'm busy and I can't pick you up, ask for the code word - if they say cookies, they're safe, if they don't have one, run away to the nearest safe place, okay? Promise me?" Roman nodded hurriedly, shifting closer to hug his dad tightly, being cautious with Virgil.