The demon in the mountain - Logan & Virgil & Patton & Roman

1:38pm

Death by hand sanitiser

Au

"And never, ever, try and climb up those mountains"

Is a sentence every child would hear living in the town of Warlid. It's an average size town, with a few schools, hospitals, malls, and much more - it was like any other town, normal, plain and simple, apart from the mountains that loom over it not too far away. They cast a shadow across it everyday, reminding people that they're there, and they're not leaving.

The mountains weren't always such an ominous place, the reason the settlement for this town was placed so many centuries ago was because of the mountains, and how beautiful they looked - but ever since the demon that scourged the earth was banished there, no one ever marvelled their beauty again. Legends say if some brave soul were to climb the mountain, they would never return, and the legends were true, but slowly forgotten and manipulated over time, people stopped believing in them.

Now, they were nothing more than myths, people climb those hills daily, and each come back unscathed, unless they were to fall and retain injuries themselves. Even so, everyone in the town who's family lived there for decades all believe in the demon, they put that onto their children, and they tell their own, because everyone believes it.

No one local to the town had ever climbed that mountain - until today. Three young, teenage boys - one sceptical about the legend, one who truly believed it, and one who didn't think it was real at all - set off from their homes to see if they could come across the all mighty demon, or any proof that would lead to him.

"Why do I ever agree to these things?" exasperated the smartest boy of the three who didn't believe a word of the tale. He wore dark navy jeans, with a matching black polo shirt. Usually he would add a tie to the mix, but as they were climbing a mountain, he didn't think it would be appropriate. "Because you love us!" The believer replied, a soft grin on his lips as he skipped across the grass mostly untouched by human life. He wore a light blue t-shirt, white dungarees over top. His light blond hair fell across his forehead, swooped to the side by the many times his hand had brushed it there. To the non-Believer, he looked ethereal, but he would never admit that.

"And if ya don't, you know we won't return" The sceptic joked, voice much lower and gravely compared to the other two. He wore ripped black skinny jeans - that non-believer will always comment are impractical, in retaliation, the sceptic hisses - his purple top, much like his jeans, had rips in places with threads keeping them together, over top he wore a home-made jacket with similar style and colours. He had a rather unusual style, nothing the town had ever seen before, especially when he dyed his hair and let it swoop over his eyes. Of course, they had seen it with tourists and people who moved in from afar, but never with locals.

It was a nice touch - thankfully, he wasn't discriminated or bullied for it. He mostly bullied himself, though, so he wasn't entirely safe.

Non-believer huffed out a laugh, nodding slightly in agreement.

They carried on their conversation as they trekked across the soft grass, harsh rocks, and steep climbs. The sun slowly moved over their head as they walked, all too excited and curious to even pay the passing time attention. They headed through valleys, passed different hills until they were so far in they were surrounded, and in the distance the sun was beginning to set.

"Well, shit" sceptic commented, twirling in a complete circle to gaze at the mountains around them. "Language, Kiddo" believer murmured softly, but he was just as worried. "I knew this was a terrible mistake!" non-believer cried, throwing his arms up to show off what the other two have already looked upon. "Yet you both insisted we do this! Now, we are lost! With no form of communication to anyone!"