Stage fright - Roman & Nyx

8:00pm

Any 'A Monster In Paris' fans out there?? Such a good movie

Au

"Mom, she has stage fright! She can't do this!" Roman harshly whispered to his mother once he finally caught her alone away from their father, hoping he could try and persuade her without his presence, but in the end she was just as bad as him, and Roman was fighting a losing battle. She turned to him sharply, eyes narrowed, hands straightening out the last few kinks in her dress.

"Roman, we have been through this" she began, "once on stage, 'stage fright' doesn't exist"

Roman wanted to groan at her ignorance but kept it concealed, knowing his sister will absolutely freak out on stage and not be able to do this. It was a tradition in their family, the youngest daughter sing on stage for their grand, hosted annual party. It consisted of the most famous celebrities, most wealthiest families, and very, very influential people. Not just anyone could rock up to these parties - it was a high honour to be invited to one, Roman and his sister, Nyx, would never understand why, for they would much rather go home, but apparently Nyx was the first daughter to ever do this and know she won't be able to do it, for her anxiety that apparently 'doesn't exist' prevented her from it.

He loves his parents but sometimes he hated them.

And he offered, many times, to take her position but because he was a boy, he couldn't, which he found bullshit. Traditions were nice but not if it meant it forced someone to do something against their will!

Roman found himself glaring at his mother who ignored her son and left the room. From the corner, Nyx emerged from behind a mirror, sitting beside her brother and resting her head on his shoulder. "What am I gonna do?" Roman winced, she sounded so scared, vulnerable. Roman wrapped his arms around her and held her close, unable to get over the fact her face was coated with makeup, and she wore a dress not at all suitable for a sixteen year old girl! It made his blood boil knowing there will be many people in the audience not just staring at her face.

Roman thought and thought until an idea came to his mind. It would end with the two probably being grounded for at least a few years, if that, but if it meant saving his sister from standing in stage alone in front of thousands of people - which is practically torture for her - he would do anything.

The older sibling kissed the younger's head, rubbing her bare arms reassuringly. "I have an idea"

Later that evening, Nyx was standing behind the curtain on stage, shaking, trying to listen to Roman who murmured her breathing technique into her ear.

"Roman, move it" his father hissed, he whipped his head to glare at him, "look at her!" He hissed back, gesturing to his sister, "she's going to have a panic attack! You can't force her to do this!" His father's eyes darkened and he grabbed Roman's arm, yanking him away from his sister who gasped, watching with tearful eyes.

"Are you sure you want to speak to me like that, boy?" He growled, and Roman faltered, trying his best to keep head strong, but he knew his father wouldn't hesitate to hit him. "Can't you see she's doing this for attention? She is singing on this stage and it'll will go perfectly, like every year" with that, Roman was forcefully dragged off of stage, desperately trying to get to his sister who was positioned by a few producers.

This was the first year Nyx was performing, last year it was their cousin who nailed it, but Roman knew Nyx wouldn't. Not because she was a bad singer, on the contrary she was beautiful at singing, but she couldn't in front of a crowd, not like this, only before the people she trusted and loved.