The band - Virgil & Logan

11:44am

Gosshhh

Au

"Why can't you be more like your brother?"

Is a phrase Virgil heard nearly everyday. His brother, Logan, was academic, attractive, had everything going for him, while Virgil was as smart as a shoe, average at best, and couldn't even find a job as a janitor. He still lived with his parents at age twenty one, while Logan moved out at eighteen to go to university. Their parents paid for it, of course they did, but didn't for Virgil because he wanted to take music, and they didn't like that.

Due to Logan living his life at some laboratory getting more money than their entire family combined, Virgil never really saw him - not that he cared, he and Logan never really had that great of a relationship due to their parents always bugging Logan to do more, and hassling Virgil to be more like him. The two slowly split until the last few years Logan lived with them they didn't speak to one another at all.

Virgil was strolling down the street after storming out the house. His parents finally pulled his last straw, and he was currently looking for a good enough bridge to sleep under for the night. That was until he came across a bar. Shrugging, he sat inside and tiredly leaned against the table, watching the band play up on stage. He watched them for awhile, they were actually really good, and Virgil wondered why they didn't do any bigger venues.

Then he shrugged to himself. Whatever, he doesn't care. Leaving the bar a few minutes later, he leaned against the wall and let out a long breath of air, staring at the night sky for what felt like hours.

Around the side of the bar, a door bursted open and loud voices filled Virgil's ears. "You're not good enough to do larger gigs!" Someone yelled angrily. Curious, Virgil leaned around the side of the building to see the band from inside arguing. The one holding the guitar looked furious while the singer, pianist and drummer were trying to calm him down.

"No! Fuck you all! This is it! I quit! I found a better band, anyway!" The guitarist threw his guitar to the ground and stormed away, leaving the remaining three members to pick up the guitar and talk to each other about what they were going to do. "We can't do this without a guitarist" the pianist frowned, holding the instrument delicately. The singer ran a hand through his rainbow-coloured dyed hair. "I know, I know.." he sighed, leaning on the wall.

"But what can we do?"

Virgil stepped forward, hands quivering under his sleeves. He can't believe he was about to do this. "Hey..." he trailed, catching their attention. "I can..uh..I can play the guitar.." he gestured to it meekly, shrugging after. "How long?" The drummer asked accusingly. Virgil tensed and scratched the back of his neck.

"Since I was seven.."

"How old are you now?" Singer questioned.

"Twenty one.."

They all shared a glance. Pianist smiled and handed him the guitar. "Go for it, Kiddo" Virgil nodded and pulled the strap around his neck, holding the guitar gently as he strummed the strings. In a flash, music was floating around through the alleyway, Virgil moving his hand across the neck of the guitar with expertise as his other hand glided across the strings fast, without making a single mistake. The other three watched with slacked jaws, none of them expecting this stranger to be that good.

Finally, Virgil finished the song, heart rapidly beating in his chest with the overflow of adrenaline. Then, he remembered he had an audience and looked up sheepishly, anxiously awaiting their opinions. "Kiddo.." pianist drifted, then grinned. "That. Was. Amazing!" He cheered, clapping his hands. The singer grinned, too, holding his hand out to the boy.