Freedom - Virgil x Roman

11:01am

My ass wants hugs

Au

The sound of a door faintly clicking shut was what made Virgil's eyes snap open. For a few minutes, he stared at the wooden slats holding up the mattress above him until he slowly sat up, eyes surveying the large room that had multiple bunk beds pressed against the walls, instead of holding only two beds, it went up to four, or five. Each kid was asleep. Apart from Virgil.

Peering over the mattress, he glanced at the two beds below him, making sure they weren't awake before clambering down the metal ladder. Once his feet pressed against the cold floor, he knew there was no turning back now.

Jacket hugged securely around his body, he pulled on his pair of shoes and silently made his way through the large room to the door. The sound of light snoring eased his nerves, because if one child were to awaken, and see him up out of bed, he knew he would be in deep shit.

Slowly, his shaking hand rested on the golden doorknob, twisting until the door could be pulled open. The white light from the hallway poured into the room, and in a flash he was standing out of the room, closing the door behind him so the light wouldn't disturb any of the kids. Looking both ways, he took a left and hurried down along the white, cold ground.

At the end of the hallway he landed himself in another room full of bunk beds, falling into the shadows he crept across the room that was always spotless, as if no one really lived here, and it was cleaned periodically. The only time he stopped moving was when he heard a creak in one of the beds, it would be futile to run, so he clenched his eyes shut and waited to hear the ringing, the ringing that alerted everyone.

When it didn't come, he realised the creak was just a child rolling over, so with a long sigh, he carried on his movements until he reached the hallway directly opposite the first one he came through. He went through room after room, each time praying everyone was asleep, and no one would catch him, because he's been planning this for months, and if it were to fail all those restless nights would be for nothing.

Finally, he reached a staircase, gripping the banister he slowly slid down, keeping to the side to avoid any possible creaks. The bottom floor was silent, darkness surrounding him entirely, making it almost impossible to see anything. He blinked a few times, eyes slowly adjusting so they could see the basic outlines of tables, chairs, and things alike.

Making sure to stay pressed up to walls, he walked a snails pace through the bottom floor, dragging his fingers across the wall so even in the dark he knew where he would be going. What felt like hours passed until his hand couldn't feel anything anymore, and he realised this was it, he was standing in the doorway to the last room he would have to pass through.

Gulping, he flicked his hair so it stopped poking his eyes, feet taking him silently across the room the chiefs cooked in. Finally, he reached the back door, and he leaned against it, breathing out lowly, willing his heart to stop beating so rapidly.

Timidly, he reached his hand directly up until his finger poked a set of keys that gently chimed in the silence. He tensed, eyes clenched shut as his hand gripped around the pair of keys that seemed desperate to make as much noise as possible. Taking them down from the hook, he tried each key on the lock, becoming less and less wary of the noise for his anxiousness was becoming too much, and if he didn't unlock the door soon he feared he would fall into a panic attack.

Everything stopped when he heard a click. Softly, he placed the keys back and twisted the doorknob until the door silently pushed open, and the humid outdoor air hit against his face. He felt like he could collapse in relief, or scream in hysterics, but he kept it all in, opting for stepping out into the night air and closing the door behind his body.