Two strangers - Patton & Virgil

7:38pm

Trigger warning: suicide

Au

Two strangers sat with their legs dangling off the edge, leaning on the two-barred mettle fence running across the cliff. They didn't know how they got there, sitting together, staring at the setting sun, the soft summer breeze combing through their unkept hair, but they didn't care, being in the presence of someone kind was always nice.

"Why are you here?" One stranger dared to ask the other, not entirely expecting an answer, but were pleasantly surprised when they received one.

"Same as you" they responded shortly, shrugging their shoulders, efficiently bringing the jacket he sweated under closer to his body.

"To die?" The first stranger shot back, lifting one arm so it held up his head.

"Why else?" Second stranger murmured, placing both arms crossed on the bar, burrowing the lower half of his face into them.

There was a comfortable silence, one that was odd to feel with a stranger. They weren't complaining, it was comforting. Easing.

"Not gonna try and tell me to stop?" Second stranger murmured, much like the first stranger, they didn't look at the other as they spoke, only able to see the basic outline of them from their peripheral.

"I wouldn't want to be a hypocrite..."

Second stranger snorted, "Yeah...it's all lies, anyway, life will improve...tomorrow will be better" he scoffed, shaking his head that was still pressed into his long sleeves. "All lies" he repeated again, malice dripping from each word.

"One day tomorrow will be better" first stranger spoke softly, almost as soft as the wind surrounding them. "Just...not today" he added, frown stitched onto his lips, glasses slipping down the bridge of his nose, quickly deciding to place them in his pocket instead. The blurry distance made the scenery more beautiful.

Second stranger slowly sat up, finally having enough of the agonising heat, pulling the jacket down his arms until they reached the dent in his elbow, the item of clothing still hugging his body comfortingly.

"What's the point, anyway? Waiting for the day it'll get better...working so hard for something that will never come..." Second stranger muttered bitterly.

"But when it does it slips from your fingers the second you find your happiness" first stranger finished for them, twisting the sleeve of his cardigan between his thin fingers.

Second stranger breathed out, deflating. "Yeah..."

A silence befell them again, the sound of crashing waves making both of them glance downwards at the ocean that laid under their feet, the large drop being the only thing separating them.

"Maybe one day things'll get better" first stranger tried.

"Maybe one day they won't" Second stranger shut him down.

"It's a chance..." first stranger drifted solemnly.

"I'm not willing to take" Second stranger finished maliciously.

"So, this is it?" First stranger questioned, eyes drifting down to the grass he sat on.

"Do you want it to be?"

The two strangers finally met the others gaze, captivated by the vibrant yet dull eyes each of them owned. "I don't even know your name" first stranger chuckled humourlessly, gulping down the lump in his throat.

Second stranger tugged his jacket from his arms, letting it rest loosely around his waist, lifting his left arm towards first stranger who quirked the corner of his lips up, intertwining their fingers together.

"Virgil"

"..Patton"

The two strangers so young, yet already put through the hardest battles of life.

The next day, the only thing that could be found was a cardigan and a jacket, laying on the soft green grass atop that lonely cliff.

8:05pm