Grief - Logan & Roman & Virgil

4:09pm

How many people listen to Queen?

Trigger warning: death, homophobia

Au

Logan was surprised to see the word 'Mother' written on his phone screen when it lit up with a call. He hasn't spoken with her for a good few years, his main assumption was it was accidental, and she had meant to ring someone else. Shrugging, he picked up the device, answered, and held the phone to his ear.

"Salutations, Mother" Logan spoke monotonously, his usual voice whenever speaking to someone he didn't particularly like.

"Logan" she replied simply, leaving it there for awhile. Logan checked to see if she was still calling, but the fact she said his name, he supposed she really did want to call, and this wasn't a mistake. Leaning back in his chair, he crossed his arm over his chest, wedging his hand between the dent in the arm that held up the phone.

"Lovely to hear from you again" he decided to start up conversation, voice disproving his words.

"Don't be snippy..." Logan rolled his eyes, for that was not snippy at all.

"I have some news" she explained at last, "your sister Grace and her husband Mike have...had a terrible incident. They both passed in hospital last night" Logan has never heard this type of emotion in his mother's voice before. She was actually upset. It shouldn't be surprising, Grace was her child, but the way she rose them would make Logan believe she wouldn't care. Either way, she did, and Logan guessed he felt a little more respect for her than he originally did.

"I am sorry for your loss" Logan replied, for he didn't know what else to say. While he did, he leaned forward and saved his most recent work so he wouldn't lose it and left his office, padding down the grand wooden staircase. "I suppose you desire for me to come to the funeral?" He questioned, pouring water into the kettle and flicking it on to boil.

"Of course I do! It's out of the question if you don't!" She sounded offended over Logan's words, but the man didn't exactly care. "Well, it's not like my presence is exactly warranted over there" a pause on the other end made Logan smirk lightly, grabbing a mug and dumping a tea bag into it.

"Don't start, Logan. Your sister has died, do you have to make this about yourself?"

"Hm, I learnt from the best" he mused, grabbing a carton of milk from the fridge. "Maybe it was a mistake calling you" she huffed, "you don't care at all!"

"Did I say I didn't care?" Logan replied, "I would rather talk about this in real life. I am free for the rest of the day, I shall be over in an hour, then we can talk. In the meantime, I would like to drink my tea with no distributions. Good day" with that, he hung up, and placed his phone on the counter. That's when it hit him. His sister has died. Standing up straight, he took his warm mug to the living room and gently sat on the couch, staring at the black screen of the television opposite him. He and his sister never really had a good relationship. She was out partying while he was home studying. She didn't care their mother was on vacation most days of the year, and also didn't care their father spent months on end abroad doing work. In the end, Logan found he stopped caring, too, but the main difference was Grace still liked them, while Logan didn't.

He never felt bad about it, but he sure was criticised by his sister when he admitted that to her. He couldn't recall ever having a bonding moment with her, if they did it obviously wasn't significant enough. He could remember all their arguments, though, most left with bruises and scars. They really shouldn't have been left alone for how long they were. When Logan came out as gay to her, that was his last chance of having some sort of relationship with her down the drain. She told the entire family, and forevermore Logan was known as the relative to never visit - his aunts and uncles stopped letting him see their kids, and he was never sent anything on his birthday, or for Christmas.