Bella Tells The Truth

I was coming home from Aunty Amanda's house and I was feeling a lot better. Mommy bought donuts for us too!
"They smell good!"
"You're going to have to wait. Plus, mommy needs to talk to you about something really, really important."
"Okay." I smelt the donuts again and smiled.
"I didn't know you loved donuts that much." Mommy smiles and opened the door.
"I love them a lot more now ever since Kylie and I started trading snacks."
"Really?"
"Yeah! She likes fruit roll ups and she had a vanilla frosted donut that looked super yummy, so she asked to trade."
"You guys trade snacks a lot?"
"Not everyday. Only if we really feel like." I sat at a chair and watched mommy make some chicken.
"Do you want some chicken?"
"Yes, a little bit please."
"Did you already eat at Amanda's?"
"I had two bowls of cereal! So yeah."
"You've been eating a lot lately."
"I've been hungry lately." She handed me a plate of chicken and rice and I ate it quietly.
"Eat, so that I can have a super serious conversation with you." I nodded and kept stuffing my face.
"We could start talking now." I paused and looked up at her.
"So, mommy has some questions about the fight. Can you answer them for me?"
"Yeah."
"How did it start?"
"I was going to take a water break and I was drinking my water. Then all of a sudden I saw Angela and her sister Kristen. I thought they were just drinking water too. But they kept giving me mean looks and then all of a sudden they came in front of me! They were telling me to go somewhere and I listened. I don't know why I did." I sunk my head.
"Okay, baby it isn't your fault! What else happened?"
"They closed the door and they started to hit me and stuff. Angela was like next time you'll do what you're told. I didn't understand what they were talking about! They said I deserved to be beat up. All because I wasn't nice to Angela."
"Did you ever do anything mean to them? Tell me the truth."
"No mommy, you said to not be a bully. I mean, I didn't talk to them a lot. Like when Angela asked me to go to her house I said okay and stuff. Maybe I made a mean face and I didn't know."
"Do you reply to them at all?"
"No, because I'm scared. You told me to ignore the bullies. So I did."
"Hmm, okay. You promise mommy that you didn't do anything mean to those girls?"
"Yes, I promise."
"Did they do any other mean things to you?"
"Kristen would punch me sometimes. I thought it was a joke but it wasn't I guess."
"When was this?!"
"Please don't yell. You're being scary."
"Sorry. When did this happen?"
"I think a week ago. Sorry I can't remember the exact date. I just know that it was a Tuesday."
"That's okay, Alright. I'm going to tell your coaches about this and people above that. Because this is really unacceptable,and I want you to know that I'm never letting anyone get away with hurting you ever again. These people are lucky that I'm not pressing charges."
"What does that mean?!" I asked worriedly.
"Telling the police."
"Don't do that mommy! Don't do it."
"I'm not. I know that'd upset you even more."
"I don't want them to be in big trouble. I don't want that."
"What do you want?"
"A sorry maybe. I don't know."
*****
The Meeting (Olivia's Perspective)
"I've heard complaints from Ms.Benson about her daughter being physically harmed. I've also received photos and heard Bella's story. Now I want to hear Kristen and Angela's side."
"Bella is a mean bully, she pushed me and hit me before. The only reason that I fought her was because she hit me first."
"And I was just protecting my sister."
"But- I never hurt you." Tears fell down Bella's face. I gave her a look that told her to hold her piece but that also meant that I understood that she was being honest.
"One day, my daughter came home in tears because of Bella." Ms.Miller said.
"She said that Bella pushed and ignored her. One time she even said that Bella called her a name that I can't say right now." This story is so inconsistent. One second she says one thing and now all of a sudden they're adding in some extra details... I don't believe this at all.
"Is that true Bella?"
"No, I never did those things." She wiped tears from her eyes and looked at me.
"Bella can you describe the fight again?"
"I was drinking some water because I was thirsty and then I saw Angela and Kristen. I thought they came in for a water break but they kept giving me some mean looks. They told me to follow them somewhere and I went. They took me into a closet I think, they closed the door and I started to get hit and beat up. Angela said next time you'll do what you were told, I didn't know why. And then they said I deserved to be beat up. Because I was mean to Angela." Bella's story has stayed consistent.
"Now Angela and Kirsten I want to hear you guys side."
"W-well Bella was drinking her water and she she came and she hit her."
"Yeah she hit her!"
"Wait, wait, wait." Ms.Miller said.
"You told me that Bella pushed Angela."
"Well, she did but-"
"But nothing."
"Bella was the one who gave us the bad looks. And she put us into the closet."
"You didn't say that the first time we had this conversation."
"Enough. I've come to my conclusion." Mrs. Keller said.
"I believe what Bella is saying. Because there are no inconsistencies in her story and she hasn't lied to me once. The accusations that have been made against Bella do not add up, simply because she has shown the opposite behavior. She's an amazing role model and she's really quiet from what the other coaches have told me. Moving on, I do not tolerate this type of vicious bullying behavior at my gym. From what I've seen and heard this isn't the first time something like this has happened. This is just the first time that someone has approached me about it. You did the right thing Ms.Benson. As punishment for this I am kicking Angela and Kristen out of this gym. And for you Bella, I'm sorry you had to endure this." She nodded and the looks on the other kids faces were full of guilt and anger.
"You guys say sorry to this poor girl."
"Sorry." They said.
"Sorry for what?"
"Sorry for being mean to you and hitting you." Angela stormed out and the mother looked like she was ready to do something she'd regret.
"Hey, don't hit her. Just go home and talk to them. Hitting them won't do anything but make things worse."
"Thanks for the parental advice. I don't need a cop to tell me what to do with my kids." She walked out angrily and dragged Kristen out with her.
"I really hope she doesn't hit them." I whispered.
"Cop instincts huh?"
"Yeah."
*****
Bedtime With Bella
Bella wanted privacy while showering tonight because she wanted to be a big girl.
"Are you okay in there?"
"Yes mommy. I'm coming out now." She came out smiling with her night dress on and her hair in a pony.
"You did a good job bud. High five." She gave me a high five and we walked over to her bedroom and sat on her bed. She went under the covers and I put my arm around her gently.
"Mommy, I feel so much better about going to gym class."
"I'm glad you do sweetheart." I gave her a kiss on the forehead.
"Mommy, can we talk about some good things? Like school or ballet? I don't wanna talk about the bad anymore."
"We can talk about whatever you want to talk about honey bunch."
"Can we talk about my birthday?"
"Yes, What do you want to do?"
"I'm not sure. I kinda wanna just spend time with you again, I like spending time with you. Because you work a lot. Sometimes I wish you could stay home with us more."
"Believe me kiddo I want to stay home with you guys more, but duty calls."