Bella And Alex

"Mom, why do I have to go to Alex's house?"
"Because I'm going out tonight."
"Why couldn't Lucy come?!"
"Because, she deserves a break..Is there a problem?"
"I'm ten, I don't need a baby sitter." I said.
"First of all, you're nine. You're not ten until December so we have a long way to go young lady. Also, I'm not leaving you and Noah home alone."
"Why?"
"Because you guys are not old enough."
"Yes we are!"
"I'm not fighting you on this young lady."
"But we're not babies Mommy!" She looked at me and put her makeup down.
"I understand that you're starting to feel a lot older because you're starting to look older but the fact of the matter is that a nine year old and an eleven year old should not be left home alone, especially at night."
"I barely even look older." I said laughing.
"But you're starting to." She tapped my shoulder and told me to go put on a sweater.
"Are you working undercover Mommy?"
"You know I can't tell you that."
"I think you are. It's not like you have a date to go to."
"Woah there,"
"You're too old for dates."
"Listen honey, you are never ever too old for a date."
"So I can go on a date?"
"Not now...."
"How old do I have to be to date someone?" I asked.
"Bella, let's save this conversation for another time. I got to go." I squinted, knowing she was lying to my face.
"Don't look at me like that. Get your shoes on and go grab your duffle."
*********
Alex's Home
"Your house is nice." I whispered.
"Thanks." There was a lot of white in there. It kind of reminded me of home and how I can never touch the white walls.
"I just finished making dinner."
"What is it?"
"Fried rice."
"That sounds good." She handed me a plate and I ate it.
"Tastes good?"
"Yeah, I like it."
"How's your summer been so far?"
"Good. I like relaxing." I finished eating and I held my doll in my lap.
"So what do you want to talk about?"
"Anything but boys."
"Hmm...Okay. How come?"
"Because every time I go to Uncle Fin's house he asks me about boys and that's private info. Plus, I'm not allowed to date anyone until Mom says I can." She laughed as nodded.
"Fin is very protective over you from what I can  see."
"A little bit too protective. Like I'm a big girl now! I can handle it."
"But he doesn't see you as one does he?"
"Nope. Just as a little baby. I'll show him."
"You're so hilarious." I pulled my hair out of the pony and let it fall.
"Oh my goodness look at those beautiful curls. You're so pretty."
"Thanks, do you like Mia's curls too?"
"Yeah, they're so cool." I snuggled her and Alex smiled.
"Is it okay if we watch a movie or a tv show?"
"Sure honey. What do you want to watch?"
"I don't really care, just want to watch something with you." She found a movie for us to watch and I watched it quietly. By the time it was done it was 7:30!
"Did you take a shower already?"
"No, I didn't. I feel a bit gross though."
"How about, I go get the water nice and warm for you and you change out of those clothes and wrap this towel around you?"
"Yes please." She handed me a grey towel and I changed out of my clothes quickly. I didn't need anyone to see me, if you know what I mean.
"It's warm and ready for you Bella."
"Thank you!" I hopped into the shower and I started to think. I sometimes think really hard in the shower.
Flashback
"Bella, it's me Olivia. Ready to talk?" I shook my head and started to cry again. My heart was shaking a lot and she sat next to me.
"It's okay, it's okay!" She sat me in her lap and gave me a hug.
"Livia.."
"What's wrong honey? You're doing good baby, you can speak to me!"
"Why did the doctor take pictures of me and use the cotton on me?"
"She was doing a little test, so we know who hurt you. Remember you were so scared to speak, remember?"
"A little. Livia, can we go somewhere to talk about it?"
"How about you come to my place?"
End Of Flashback
I got out of the shower and Alex looked up.
"You're done. Are you ready for bed?" I didn't answer and looked out the window.
"Bella, do you feel sick?"
"No, I'm okay." Alex put down her law book and told me to sit on her bed.
"Bella, I know that we're not extremely close. But, that doesn't mean you can't tell me anything."
"Alex, it just feels so weird."
"What does?"
"I'm getting older and sometimes I feel happy about it, and sometimes I wish I was five again."
"Sweetheart, growing up isn't anything to feel sad about. If anything, it's a very amazing thing because you're going to go through a lot of new experiences and trust me, you won't even notice it anymore. It's okay to want to be younger every once and a while. That's completely normal." I gave her a hug and she smiled.
"Thanks Alex. You're amazing."
"You're welcome sweet pea!"
"You got that from Mommy didn't you!"
"I sure did."
************
The Next Day (Olivia's Perspective)
"Thank you so much!"
"Don't mention it. We had a great time."
"Mom, I'm gonna go wait by the elevator."
"Okay my love, we'll leave in a bit."
"Sure," She gave Alex a hug and went to go play with her tablet by the elevator. We talked casually about work and then Alex mentioned something to me.
"You know, last night Bella was a bit sad."
"She was? Did she tell you why?"
"She did."
"What did she say?"
"She told me that she gets upset sometimes because she wished that she was still five years old." I turned around and looked at my daughter who was busy playing.
"She said that sometimes she is happy to grow up, and sometimes she's not."
"That explained her crying on the last day of school. I kind of figured it out when I kind of went through her diary the other."
"Liv..."
"I just had to figure out why she was upset. So I could at least comfort her, you know?" She nodded and we both looked over at Bella.
"She's feeling better though. If you want to talk to her, you could. Though I beat you to it."
"I won't, she seems good right now. I don't want to spoil that. Thank you so much for consoling her though, I appreciate it."
"You're welcome."
"Have you heard back from the agency?"
"Not yet. I'm still waiting." I smiled and put my hand on her shoulder.
"They could never ever reject, someone like you Alex. I know more than anyone, that you'd be such an amazing Mother." She smiled back and gave me a hug.
"I'm actually going to move soon."
"Oh really? That's great. Where to?"
"California.Yeah, can't wait for some new surroundings." We were quiet for a moment and I sighed.
"Take care of yourself Liv, take care of your kids too."
"You take care of yourself Alex,"
"I'll make sure to do that, now your daughter is waiting on you. She wants to spend time with you."
"Bella, come say goodbye to Alex." She came over and gave Alex a big hug and she told her the news.
"Why are you moving?"
"Just because. For the thrill of it."
"I'm going to miss you though." Bella said sadly.
"So am I, but we can always call. Right?"
"Yeah. We can."
"Bye Alex."
"Bye!" We walked to the elevator and Bella held her doll and her duffle quietly.
"Where's Noah?"
"Home."
"With who?"
"Who do you think?"
"Are we going somewhere today?"
"Nope. I'm tired."
"But I don't want to stay home."
"Bella." She stopped and stayed quiet. As I drove Bella would open her mouth as if to speak and then not say anything.
"What is it?"
"I really, really want to go to the park today Mommy. Can we please go? I'm sorry for being rude." Lately, Bella has been recognizing her wrongdoing more quickly and I don't have to explain her behavior to her.
"Bella, I appreciate you apologizing. But Mom is really tired, okay? I don't have the energy. Okay?"
"Yes,"
"How about you and Chase play in the back yard?" She shrugged and stayed quiet for the rest of the ride. When we got home she tugged my arm and sat next to me on my bed.
"I'm very bored. Let's go make milkshakes."
"Bella-"
"Lets go Mommy!" That's when I thought about it. How much longer would my daughter want to spend time with me? Times starting to run out, I should take advantage of this.
"Yay! Mines gonna be Oreo!"
"And I think I'll just stick to plain vanilla."
"Bo-ring! Noah, come make a milkshake with us before I beat your big butt again!"
"I'm coming, I'm coming! Do not hurt me again!" She pinched Noah and I gave her a stern look.
"If you guys fight we're not doing this."
"Okay, okay. I'm sorry." Bella went into the fridge and took out some chocolate syrup, and caramel syrup.
"Ice cream too."
"Oreo ice cream!" We made three milkshakes and I watched as my kids smiled.
"How is it?"
"Awesome!" Noah answered. Bella gave a thumbs up and I laughed.
"I'm going to go to my room now." She said after putting her glass in the sink.
"Me too!" After my kids left I washed up the dishes and sighed.
"Never lasts long, eh?"