Lei's Fourth Birthday

August 10th (Garden City, New York)
I woke up and made my pink bed up. It was easy peasy! I was really hungry and I wanted a snuggle from Liv.
"Mommy."
"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Leia, happy birthday to you!"
"I love you my dear."
"Thank you Mommy."
"How old are you today?"
"I'm four!"
"That's right!"
"I'm gonna go to preschool."
"You are!"
"What's for breakfast?"
"Let's go see." We went into the kitchen where Bella was cooking! I didn't know that 10 year olds could cook!
"Pink pancakes and pink eggs for the birthday girl."
"There's also pink waffles and bacon."
"Happy birthday Lei!" I started to feel a bit sad. They were so nice!
"Aww, she's getting emotional. She's thankful."
"Thank you for the pink!" I said.
"There's going to be even more pink. Your princess party is today, the people are gonna come and set it up."
"Can I swim?"
"Of course you can baby."
"Guys, let's eat!" Noah said. Mommy did my plate first and it was good.
"Bella and Noah made it?"
"Well we did some of it. Mommy did the waffles and eggs."
"It's good. I like the pink foods." They all smiled and it made me super giggly!
************
My Princess Party
"Bailey, we have to go and hide from the boys."
"Hide?"
"Yeah, were gonna play hide and seek! Boys versus girls!"
"Yeah!" Mabel said.
"Okay so the girls have to hide and we're gonna count to like 50."
"Yeah!"
"Jaylan, you have to count!" I said. I ran to go hide behind my Mommy and I kept giggling.
"Stay still! I'm hiding from the boys!" She laughed and nodded.
"Leia where are you?!" They called.
"Hehehe."
"Gotcha!"
"How did you even find me?!"
"I heard you laugh!" Mommy looked at me and smiled.
"Ready to eat something baby?"
"No, I have to go play in the bouncy house!" I took off my sandals and went in. Bella and her friend Kylie was in there relaxing.
"Hi guys!"
"Hey Lei! Omg Bella your sister is so cute!" I sat in Kylie's Lap and Bella gave me kisses.
"Can we go get food? I'm hungry." I said the Kylie.
"Yeah, let's go. Mom has tons of chick fil a at the food table." Sister picked me up and I told her that I wanted 4 tenders, spicy sauce, and a chicken sandwich with some fries.
"You served Bella food? Thank you so much Bella." Mommy said.
"Chick Fil A is my favorite and Fanta. It's my favorite." Bailey came and asked why I wasn't playing.
"I'm eating! Want a bite?" I have Bailey a bite and she loved it.
"I'm gonna go get one!"
"Kylie, Bella, I'm gonna go play now. You can have my tenders Bella."
"Thanks baby Lei."
***********
Our Backyard (Olivia's Perspective)
"Make a wish pumpkin!" Leia closed her eyes for a moment before blowing out the candles.
"It's all done!" She said to me. I gave her a kiss and went to go cut the cake.
"Come baby, you get first pick. What piece do you want?"
"Can I have that piece right there?"
"Of course baby." My daughter sat at the table with her little buddies and I watched as they ate their cake happily. Bella and Kylie were helping to give out the pieces of cake and were just being delightful overall.
"Mom, Kylie and I are going on a pink lemonade break."
"Alright, it's well deserved. Have fun." The girls ran off, holding hands and I watched as my youngest played in the bouncy house,enjoying herself to the max.
"Mommy, come and jump with me."
"Of course baby," Lei held my hand as we went inside and jumped.
"Mommy, I'm going so high!"
"You are babe, you have super powers."
"Super jump power!" She did a split and we jumped for about an hour. I forgot there was a party going on. It was just me and Lei, that's all I was focused on.
"I'm hungry again." I rolled my eyes playfully and took her to get some food.
"Mommy, thanks for my pink party."
"You're welcome sweetheart."
************
August 17th (Leia's Perspective)
I was in the backyard blowing bubbles with Lucy.
"It's almost lunchtime." I got back from camp a couple of minutes ago. Like 30. I do camp in the morning, because I like it in the morning.
"Hey Lei."
"Hi brother. Go back inside!"
"Why?"
"Because, it's not your basketball time yet!"
"Lei, he can play basketball and you can blow your bubbles at the same time."
"No!"
"You have to share or you're going straight inside while I make lunch."
"No I want the backyard!" Lucy closed the bubbles and made me go inside.
"No! I want the backyard."
"Leia, this is your warning. If you do that again you're going on timeout."
"I want the backyard!" She took me to the corner and she set the timer for 4 minutes. I cried because I didn't want to be on the corner!
"Hey Lucy!" Bella came in and locked the front door.
"I want Bella."
"Come here Bella, Lei is in trouble."
"What's for lunch? I'm hungry."
"Leftovers." Lucy came to the corner and got down on one knee.
"Leia, why did I send you here today?"
"Because I wasn't sharing with Noah the backyard."
"And?"
"I'm sorry for being naughty to you, and I won't do it again."
"Hugs and kisses." I didn't give her one and just kept crying.
"I still love you Lei. Come let's go eat."
"Baby Lei, you have to always be nice to people." Sister said. I went to my room. I wanted them to go away, it was my turn with the backyard!
"Leia come and eat lunch." Bella said.
"No I don't want to eat lunch and I don't want to talk to you."
"Why?"
"Because you're mean." She sat on the bed and looked at me.
"It's not good to be a brat."
"I'm telling Mommy that you called me a brat! I'm telling her!" I pushed Bella and she rolled her eyes.
"Cool. Don't come and ask me for pick up later though."
"Me no care about pick up!"
***********
Leia's Room (Olivia's Perspective)
"Leia."
"No! Go away!" She said.
"Mommy is not happy with you right now." I said sternly.
"I'm going to need you to sit up, and stop this or I'm going to take LoLo away."
"No!"
"Okay so let's sit up," She sat up and turned to face me.
"And let's talk like a big girl. You can tell Mommy why you're so angry."
"But if I tell Mommy why I'm angry-"
"What?"
"You won't care."
"What do you mean?"
"It because of camp."
"What about camp?"
"A girl at camp said that I was ugly."
"And that's why you're angry?"
"Yes because I'm not ugly! And I'm not black!" And that's when I put my arm around Leia and realized that we needed to have a chat.
"Leia, sweetheart you are black."
"No I'm not, I'm white." She said calmly. I gave her a kiss and told her to listen carefully.
"Leia, your Mommy is a beautiful white woman and your dad is a...handsome black man. That makes you black and white."
"But Clara said I'm just black!"
"You're both black and white. Which is a very beautiful thing."
"Why can't I be just white?"
"Leia,"
"I don't want to be black!"
************
Weird Place (Leia's Perspective)
"Mommy where are we?" She took me into a bookstore and we looked at some books.
"Why are we in this part of the bookstore?"
"Because, I want to show you something." There were some books with girls that looked like me.
"We're going to read some books today. You can choose some books that you like, we can read some here and then take some home for bedtime." I chose a book with a brown skinned girl and we sat down and read it together.
"Maia, you shouldn't be embarrassed! This is who you are, and you're beautiful." It was a nice story I guess. She closed the book and talked to me.
"How about we choose some books?"
"Fine." I chose one book and we left the bookstore.
"You know what, I have an idea." Mommy said. We took the train downtown and got off. Mommy took me into a big doll store. Why did she take me here? We talked to a really nice lady and we found a doll who looked like me.
"I like her Mommy."
"How about we buy her and some clothes? How does that sound?"
"Sounds nice! Thank you Mommy!"