Bella's Mentor Pt.2

"What is it?"
"My Mom and I got into an argument."
"About what?"
"About how she's always in my business and things like that. She doesn't understand anything."
"Maybe, instead of getting so angry with her, you should try to explain everything to her."
"But she doesn't understand anything that I'm feeling Ms.Hinds."
"And how will she ever understand if you don't open yourself up and tell her. Remember, we talked about this? You need to open yourself up so that people can understand you."
"Yeah. We did."
"When you go home today, I want you to talk to your Mom and apologize for arguing with her. Because that's really disrespectful. If that was my Mother..."
"What would happen?"
"I'd see a belt in my future."
"Mommy's not even going to be here today. She's working. I don't even want to go home."
"Why don't you want to go home?" I shrugged and started to go inside.
"Bella, we're not done." I went inside and Ms.Hinds stood there watching me.
*************
667 West 87th St. (Olivia's Perspective)
"Who's that?" Fin asked of my phone ringing.
"The school. Give me a minute." I stepped to the side and answered.
"Hello?"
"Good Afternoon, I'd like to speak with Ms.Benson."
"Speaking."
"Hi, I'm Ms.Hinds Bella's classroom teacher. I was wondering if we could speak-"
"Liv, I got something."
"I'm so sorry, but I really can't at this moment."
"Okay...when will you be available?"
"I can try again 1:30."
"Okay, okay. I have to deal with these crazy kids. I'm looking forward to speaking with you later."
"You too. Bye."
"The kids are okay?"
"I don't know yet. It's Bella."
"Oh."
"You know Fin, I've been thinking...."
"What is it Liv? Does this got something to do with Tucker?!"
"No, not at all. I've been wanted to buy a townhouse lately. I want a permanent place to live in the city, all of this moving around and stuff isn't cutting it. But townhouses are so expensive, especially in the Upper East Side."
"How about you buy one of those tenant townhomes, and convert it to a single. They're usually cheaper."
"How much cheaper? Are we talking millions or thousands?"
"Depends. I have a friend of mines who's been trying to sell one of those for the longest time. So many price reductions on the house, it's crazy. Lemme give him a call."
"Thank you so much Fin."
"Anything for you Liv." I liked down at my phone again and the picture of little Bella made me smile. I'd do anything to make you happy. I put my phone away and went to go question the Douglas'. I could t let my emotions control me right now. I needed to stay in the zone.
********
2 Days Later (Saturday)
I finally got the chance to speak with Bella's teacher and I learned about her off morning at school the other day.
Thursday Night*
"Hello again Ms.Hinds."
"Good evening, how are you?"
"Quite fine, you?"
"As fine as I could be considering."
"I called you to talk about Bella's behavior today."
"Oh my, I think I know why."
"She said that you guys got into some argument and I told her to apologize to you, I'm hoping she did."
"She has, she has."
"As Bella's Mentor this year I worry for her wellbeing a lot, I've come to realize that she's a very secretive person but she has no problem talking to me about things."
"Oh really, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that you guys look alike, she really admires you. She talks about you a lot."
"Aww, it makes me really happy that I can help her feel more confident."
"I really appreciate what you're doing for her, thank you so much. It's been really hard raising a biracial child these last couple of years, she tends to ask why she's different from everyone and she says how no one gets her and never will. Because at the end of the day majority of the people around her aren't biracial or aren't black. She doesn't have a mother figure or anything that looks like her, so it's hard."
"She tells me the same all the time, we both just want what's best for her and I think she'll come out to be very strong out of all of this. I'll keep you posted whenever it comes to Bella, and I'll continue to have conversations with her."
"Thank you so much and I'll keep you updated as well."
"Alright, my niece is waiting on me right now. Talk later?"
"Of course, have a great night."
"Same to you Ms.Benson. Good night."
"Night."
"Come here Bella,"
"Yeah?"
"I talked to your teacher the other day,"
"Oh.."
"You're not in any trouble. I just want to talk with you for a quick minute."
"Okay," she became less tense and I smiled.
"Bella, I'm sorry I was so hard on you about the chocolate and the food, it was from Ms.Hinds, wasn't it?"
"Yeah."
"You could've just told me honey, I wouldn't have been upset,"
"But it was like my secret, how did you find out?"
"Because, we were talking the other day and she told me."
"Oh. I'm sorry Mama, I was so rude to you."
"Apology accepted. Next time, just tell me."
"Okay Mama," I gave my daughter a hug and sent her on her way.
***********
Kylie's House
We were having a sleepover with Jana, Kayla, Paisley and Penelope. It was quite cool.
"You don't know how to do a land yard?"
"No, What is that?" Paisley asked.
"OMG, let us show you."
"So there's so many different stitches."
"Teach her the box stitch first."
"Bella, come and start it!"
"Okay, so basically you have to even it out so it works out and then fold it over your finger and put them through the holes." She watched as I made the first stitch and handed it to her.
"Woah."
"Yep, keep doing it until it's super long."
"So guys, don't you guys think Carter is so cute?"
"He is and he's so funny."
"You guys like Carter?" Something told me that this wasn't going to be good at all.
"I don't. They do." Penelope, Kayla, and Jana looked at each other and I could sense a fight.
"How about we talk about something else, like that science test."
"Yeah!" Paisley said.
"Do you guys know your scores yet?"
"I don't know mines."
"I got a 90, it isn't s good score."
"What do you mean?! I got a 75."
"Well," I said with a pause.
"I really wanted a 100 to show my Mom."
"But you still did good Bella, you were just like, 10 points away."
"That doesn't help the situation Kayla!" Penelope said. I successfully prevented world war 10! Yay to me, I guess?
***********
The Park
I kinda just sat there by myself looking down at the ground. I didn't feel like playing or anything.
"Tired?" My Aunt asked.
"Nope."
"Thinking about something or...someone..?"
"No!" I laughed and my Aunt looked at me.
"What's on your mind hun?"
"I don't know specifically. I'm thinking of like ten different things."
"You're only nine, you should be busy playing with your friends and not having to worry so much."
"I know. I just can't help it Aunty. I get crazy nervous."
"I do too sometimes. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone worries from time to time. Just gotta learn how to balance."
"Balance what?"
"The amount of time you spend living your life, and the amount of time you spend worrying about things. You've been worrying for approximately 33 minutes, so now it's time to have some fun and live your life." We got up and went to a tree.
"There's apples growing on it!"
"Take one, it's free real estate." I picked one off the tree and looked at it.
"Isn't it better to just live your life?"
"It is." She gave me a kiss as I studied the apple.
"Think Liv will be okay with this?" I asked.
"Let's not mention it. Just place it in the fruit basket when she's not looking." I laughed and we continued to walk around the park. It really is good to live your life.