Bella Gets Caught

Gym Class
It's been a week or so since I dyed my hair blue, and Mom doesn't know yet.
"Your hair is so cool. But, why did you dye it like that?" Kylie asked.
"So my Mom wouldn't see it."
"Oh..." I changed into my tank tap and shorts and we walked outside.
"You're super brave for that. But, when I get back from vacation we have to talk about some information that I learned."
"What??"
"You gotta wait and see! FaceTime me when you get home today."
"Well of course bestie!"
"Bye Kylie!" I waited for my Mom to pick me up and when she finally pulled up I was tired and ready to get some food.
"Hi Mom."
"Hey."
"Hey Guys." Leia was coming from soccer and Noah from baseball. I noticed that there was some duffle bags in the back and I knew where we were going.
"Bella, when we get to the house I need to speak to you." My other siblings were laughing and joking but I was freaking out. Mom would be so mad with me if she learned the truth. I had paid Leia to not say anything. I hope she kept her mouth shut. But on the other hand, if Mom knew she would just let it rip already.
"Livy, can we eat?"
"Yes, I'll order when we get there my love. Bella, you okay?"
"I'm fine." She kept driving towards Long Island and I kept really quiet.
***********
7:30 PM
I settled into my "room" and stared at the ceiling. I sipped some ginger ale from my bottle and opened my diary to write. My iPad was charging since it was dead and all, I needed to occupy myself somehow. I put my bonnet over my head and then went on YouTube for a bit.
"Bella, Mommy said it's dinnertime."
"Alright, coming Lei." I went downstairs and sat at the table. Mom kept staring at me as she talked.
"So...How was your week?"
"Amazing, when we went to Splish-Splash with Zach, we were able to go on all of the cool rides and stuff Mom. Like the one with two whirlpools in it."
"I've been meaning to take you guys to a water park. Would you like to go Leia?"
"I like swimming." She said cutely. I chuckled and ate my Thai.
"Livia, this week I had soccer again! It was fun."
"What did you like about it?"
"Playing soccer!" Mom laughed and then she looked at me.
"Bella?" I shook my head and I continued to eat.
"Well, surely something happened this week."
"I don't care to share." She was taken aback by what I said and she looked really shocked.
"Oh...okay." It was very rude of me to say, but I didn't know what else to say.
"Bella, I don't know what's going on, but you're concerning me. You're not acting like yourself."
"Okay." I finished my plate and attempted to leave.
"Bella, go straight to your room. We need to have a conversation."
"But-"
"You're not in trouble. Go right now please." I went to my room and when Mommy came in she had a piece of paper, a pencil, and some tissues.
"Bella. Let's talk." She sat next to me and I rested my head on her shoulder.
"Leia told me that you gave her 10 dollars the other day. Is that true?"
"Yes."
"Why did you give her that money?" I didn't answer and she looked at me.
"Bella, why?" Mom could absolutely not know that I dyed my hair!
"Bella, did you pay her to hide something from me?" I didn't answer again and she was sniffing out the answers herself. When I'm lying or nervous, I tend to play around with my fingers.
"Bella, you can tell me what this secret is. I won't be mad."
"Mom, no."
"Bella, What is going on with you?! You're acting very on edge. Are you hurt? Who's hurting you?"
"Mom Stop!" I yelled. She got scared and picked up her phone. I don't know what's wrong with her! I'm not hurt.
"Toni, I need you to talk to Bella. I'm not sure what's going on. She won't tell me. Alright, I'm going to leave the room." Mom left and it was just my Aunt and I. She was looking into the phone with her wrap on her head as she saw my face.
"Honey, why you have your Mom calling me this late? I have a whole exam in the morning."
"Okay, then go to sleep."
"I'm not here for this attitude! Do not try me tonight Bella!"
"Bella, What is your problem today? Because this attitude is not it."
"I said nothing is wrong with me."
"You're still insisting that you're not hiding anything? Bella, you know better. We can all tell when you're trying to hide something. No sense in acting like this. Whatever you did, fess up and take the punishment. You're getting older my love. This nasty attitude of yours has got to stop."
"Okay."
"I gotta go to bed. I love you boo."
"Yeah." I said.
"I'm not hanging up until you tell me how much you love me." She said with a smile.
"Good night." I said. I hung up and she called back. My Mom came into my room and sat on the bed.
"Bella, What is that blue-" She pulled my hair softly and looked at me.
"When did you do this?!" I freaked out and started to cry.
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." She bit her lip and told my Aunt the issue has been "resolved".
"Bella, I can't believe you betrayed my trust. I trusted you to not dye your hair after we had that conversation. I guess I expected too much." She got up and stared at me before leaving the room. I didn't get in trouble, but that was worse than any punishment I've ever had.
**************
Saturday Morning (Olivia's Perspective)
I was still so raw after last night. I didn't know what to do. Bella has never done something like that before. Usually, I can trust her to not do something when I tell her. But now, I'm not so sure. I sat out at the hammock, reflecting on prior conversations with Bella. Remembering her cute little face and inquisitive manner.
"Mommy, how come you have shorter hair today?"
"I cut a bit off." She made a shocked face and giggled.
"Why?!"
"Just because."
"Well, you're the prettiest Mommy!"
I remember that cute little moment. She really made me feel beautiful. It was a painful reminder that my little girl, is no longer that, no matter how much I'd love to believe it.
"Livia, can we cuddle?"
"Of course honey." I sat Lei on my lap as I thought over some plans for this summer.
"Livia, can I call you Mommy all of the time?" She asked sweetly.
"Of course. Whatever makes you feel comfortable."
"Okay Mommy!"
"You have to take a bath today and do your flash cards so you can be all ready for pre-school." We've worked on potty training and she was able to grasp it.
"Brownie soap."
"I don't know if there's any left sweetheart." I gave her a kiss and she gave me one back. Bella came outside and I was pleasantly shocked. She usually doesn't come to the hammock, she'd rather talk in the basement.
"Good Morning Bella."
"Morning." She sat next to me shyly and Leia was starting to fall asleep.
"Bella, I want you to explain yourself. I wanna hear your side."
"I don't really have one. I just dyed it because I wanted to."
"How did you get this dye?"
"I bought it myself."
"Where is the dye?"
"I gave the rest to P."
"I can't believe this. I'm so disappointed in you Bella!" She was clearly ashamed and she didn't make eye contact with me.
"I want to be able to trust you as you're becoming a teenager. I want to know that if I send you to someone's party and something happens, I can say 'Bella would never'. But learning that you just defied me, I'm not sure. And, I know that middle school will be a very challenging time for you, so I want to retain trust between the both of us. Do you understand?"
"Yes Mom."
"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done it."
"I accept your apology, but it's already been done. I hope it isn't permanent."
"It comes out in two weeks."
"Alright. But in all seriousness, I was considering buying you washable hair wax if you wanted to express yourself. How does that sound?"
"Nice."
"Okay. And now we're onto punishment."
"Oh no."
"Oh yes. I'm thinking cleaning the basement and the pool will suffice. I won't take your iPad away, it doesn't do much to you anymore."
"Okay Mom. I'll go do it." She said maturely. I smiled as she was out of my sight.
"Mommy..." Leia whispered. She was still sleeping and I rocked the hammock side to side so she could feel comforted. My sweet angel.