Bella's Sleepover

"Go away Noah! It's girls only right now."
"Mom never said the basement was off-limits." I rolled my eyes and took the remote from him.
"Well if you're going to be here, don't be annoying." I tied him down to the chair and started to laugh.
"Let's paint his nails!"
"No, no!" We painted his fingernails toxic acid green.
"You look very nice Noah. It brings out your eyes."
"I'm telling Mom you tortured me."
"Go ahead crybaby!" Kylie and Kayla laughed as he left.
"Well that got him out."
"Right, it's girls only on this side of town."
"But back to what we were talking about...Kayla, who's the boy?!"
"Well...you don't know him."
"Hmm."
"He's my Mom's friend son. He's really cute." I had a hard time with this conversation because I didn't really get it. Why like a boy?
"I'm gonna go get some water."
"Okay Bella,"
*********
The Next Morning
We stayed up for a long time and when I woke up I was all alone.
"Where is everyone?" I went upstairs and they were setting up breakfast to eat in the dining room.
"Morning to you too Bella. Sleep well?"
"My neck hurts." Mommy gave me a small hug and told me to go brush my teeth.
"You slept so long Bella. Probably because you were so crazy last night." Noah said.
"I don't even remember anything."
"Really? We watched like two movies and then we played games, Kylie told me I fell asleep first."
"You really don't remember??"
"Nu-uh!" My Mom laughed quietly as she tried to help me remember what happened last night.
"I remember that a little bit."
"Well, if you don't remember much right now it means that you had a lot of fun last night. That's what my Mama says." We sat down and ate. Noah was looking at his nails and I laughed.
"Mom, I want this to come off."
"It looks really nice on you though Noah!" Kayla said.
"Yeah, it makes you look really cute for Morgan!"
"For Morgan!"
"Bella?"
"Fine, I'm sorry. I won't do it again."
"Thank you honey."
"Now, after we eat breakfast we have to talk about some serious things."
"Yeah, we do."
"We really do."
"You girls never fail to put a smile on my face. Little gossip girls."
"We're not gossip girls. We're just girls that like talking about really good topics. We're writing topic essays in school."
"I remember those. I hated them."
"Hate is a very strong word Noah."
"Sorry,"
"I'm writing about fruits."
"I see."
"I'm writing about ballerinas and things about dance."
"What are you writing about?"
"My family." I said. I still was a weeny but embarrassed about it though.
***********
Christmas Preparations (Olivia's Perspective)
"Our first real Christmas in this house!" Bella exclaimed.
"Yes, it is." We were decorating the tree. Though it was quite late because we've been so busy with various things, it's better than not putting one up at all. Bella and Noah happily put up decorations and we're on their best behavior.
"Brother, can I have a hug?" He gave her one and she looked at me.
"What are you staring at?" She said while looking up to me.
"Nothing."
"Hmm, sure." She sat on the floor and turned on the tv. What I've noticed, it could be just me however, is the difference between a 9 year old boy and a 9 year old girl. I'm not going to generalize, but for Bella specifically little things can change her mood drastically. Even more so, than when she was 8.
"Bella, what's up?"
"Just don't feel like decorating anymore."
"Taking a break?"
"Yes," The thing about it though is, I don't want things to burden her that much. She doesn't deserve it. I sat next to her for a second and held her hand.
"You're okay, right? Because nothing happened,"
"Nothing happened, just sometimes my mood changes."
"I know, I can see it." She played with Chase and a smile reappeared. Another thing about this is that usually it doesn't last long. Which is the only thing I love about it. It helps me to worry way less. She started decorating again and laughing.
"You're literally so weird, you were just quiet and sad and now you're happy?!" I gave him a stare that told him to cut it out and he got the message.
"Yay....you're happy?" He said in a confused tone. She stared at him blankly and kept decorating.
"You're really fake Noah." Chase jumped up and they played around.
"I'm going to my room!"
"Bella is really weird Mom. Why is she acting like that?"
"She's going through some things. Don't worry 'bout it."
"Cause every little thing is gonna be alright?" He smiled and I chucked.
"You pulled a Bob Marley. I like that. But, Bella just needs her space to breathe."
"How can I help?"
"By being understanding. Give her space, show her as much love as you can. Exactly what I'm doing with you."
"I'm not like Bella!"
"You certainly have your days."
"No I do not!" He whined. He stormed off and I stood there alone.
"I'm outnumbered. Everyone here is going through something-"
************
December 21st (Bella's Perspective)
"Good Morning my love."
"Morning Mom. It's so cold." I smiled and she gave me one back.
"Let's make hot chocolate Mommy. But not the instant one, homemade! Please, please please?!"
"Let me rest for a few more minutes."
"Only two more!" I put my head on her belly and I looked into her eyes.
"You need to wash your face, you have drool right there." I nodded and she rubbed my head. When Mommy rubs my head it makes me sleepy.
"Let's go make that hot chocolate now." I followed behind her and went downstairs. I took the chocolate syrup out of the fridge and she took out the milk. She put some milk in a pot and turned on the stove.
"Grab the utensils for me baby." I grabbed the cups and handed it to her.
"Fill the cup with chocolate syrup up to the line. Good, you're doing good." She plopped it in there and I watched as she made the drink. I always wondered how mothers could be such good cooks. They just do it so nicely.
"Who taught you how to cook?"
"Well, my mom when she was in a good mood. The rest I kind of just taught myself. It's important that you learn how to cook for yourself, it's a survival skill."
"So I have to learn?"
"Of course, you have to! Noah as well."
"Noah told me one time that cooking was a girls only thing and that grilling was for boys. I don't think that's true."
"It isn't true. Boys can cook and bake too, Girls can grill too."
"You're good at grilling too Mama."
"Yep, I don't want you to think that things are girls-only and boys-only. You can do whatever you want if you just try. You hear me?!"
"Mhm!" She poured some of it into my favorite mug and I blew on it before taking a sip.
"How does it taste?"
"The best."
"Hey Bella?"
"Mhm?!" I said happily.
"Even when you're big you'll want to make hot chocolate with me?"
"Of course! I love making hot chocolate with you!" We started to talk a little and I felt warm. It was just me and my Mom talking about things, I really like having private time with my Mom, it makes me feel special because she's not paying attention to Noah as well while we're speaking. Not to say that I want all the attention or anything like that, but it's nice to have people pay attention to you, and you only. Know what I mean?
"Sounds like you guys had a really fun time."
"After that, we crafted baskets and mines came out a bit funny. I tried my hardest. It was a real bummer!"
"It's okay to mess up when it's your first time, how about you try basket weaving another time. Just to try again."
"Yes please!"
"Atta girl! So I looked over your Christmas list."
"Mhm...???"
"Santa has a lot to go through this year."
"Santa isn't even real."
"Who told you that?"
"I told myself that, Santa doesn't make sense when you really think about it Mommy."
"Oh really?"
"Yeah. You see Santa goes down chimneys right?"
"Yes.."
"We've never had a chimney in any of the houses we moved to. And yet Santa finds a way to come in."
"There is the front door."
"But Santa is fat so the whole floor would jiggle with him."
"That's not kind to say honey." She laughed and wiped my cheek
"Sorry, but you know that I didn't mean to hurt his feelings. Even though he's fake."
"Santa doesn't make a sound, but I assure you he's real."
"How would we know that?"
"How about we bake Santa some cookies and leave him some milk?"
"And if he eats it then we'll know that he's really real!"