Part 38

Hey! Here's the next update! Was meant to post it yesterday but it was my birthday and I got a little busy with the day!😃 thank you for all the support, hope you enjoy!

*Dakota's POV*

I wake, my head is pounding, my left arm, leg and my ribs are sore. The room I'm in smells clean, it's dark but warm, there's only one strobe lighting for the whole room. I turn my achy head and I'm met with my mom's concerned; tear-stained face. Behind her, my dad stands, his hands on her shoulder, it looks like he's aged years.

"Where am I? Where's Jamie?" I panic trying to sit up, though my ribs protest against it and I wince, laying back and closing my eyes, tears falling. "Lay still baby, you're okay, you're at the hospital" my mom grabs my hand and kisses it repeatedly as my dad rushes out the room and returns minutes, maybe even seconds later, with nurses.

"Miss Johnson, it's good to see you finally awake. I'm nurse Sara, You're in the hospital, you have a few damaged ribs so you must lay still for me" She smiles at me reassuringly and I warm to her kind bedside manner immediately.

"W..wheres Jamie?" I stutter, watching as she checks my temperature, my eyes, my heartbeat and my blood pressure.

"He's On another ward to you, I'll get his doctor through shortly to explain.. how's the pain?" She asks me and I look to my parents then back to her. "I ache everywhere.. my head mostly.. is my baby okay?" I barely even manage to whisper the last bit, sobbing quietly.

My mom weeps softly beside me and I look to them, my tears falling faster. "There's no sign to show that the baby is hurt, but we've called your midwife down and she's going to give you a quick check over. I'll just get her" she wanders outside and I look to my mum.

"Jamie.. he's still alive? Please don't tell me he's..." I sob, and my mom gasps, sitting on the edge of my bed and kissing my hand, her spare hand stroking my hair. "Baby, he's okay. Don't get yourself worked up, it's not good for you or the baby" she wipes her eyes and I notice my dad is now the other side of me, holding that hand.

I take a deep breath, closing my eyes and saying a silent prayer in my head. 'Please let Jamie be okay. Please let our baby be okay' I repeat over and over as my door opens as my midwife Naomi walks in.

"Dakota, I'm sorry to hear what happened, let's check on your baby shall we?" She says kindly, wheeling the ultrasound machine over to the bed and taking a side by my legs. I nod and dry my cheeks, taking another deep breath as my parents squeeze my hands.

She squirts the gel over my bump and uses the probe to search for my baby. I keep my eyes closed whilst my mom and dad gaze at the screen impatiently. We hear the sound of a strong beating heart. I let out a sob and feel my mom rest her head over mine.

"She's okay, coqui, she's okay!" My mom kisses my head repeatedly and my dad kisses my cheek. "Thank god" I hear him mumble, squeezing my hand. "She sounds and looks perfectly fine to me, no sign of any damage to your placenta, the heartbeat Isn't giving me any reason to be concerned" Naomi smiles and I smile slightly, wiping my eyes.

"She hasn't moved much since the accident?" I whisper. "That'll be the shock. It sounded like a big bump for all of you, she will move again when she feels like it" she smiles at me and I nod, leaning back and closing my eyes, sighing with relief.

"You've got my number if you need me for another check, but I'm sure she's going to be perfectly fine" she wipes my bump for me before leaving. "Mama.. I curled myself up when it happened.. it happened so fast but I managed to curl up.. I saved her?" I let out a deep breath and dry my eyes again.