Murders

"What is it? Do you understand this? Do you know what this thing is?" Jack quickly asked.

The doctor stared at the files "they've been poisoned. Each and every single one of them. A poison injected straight into their heart"

"We know that but...what's the poison? We've never seen anything like this before" Owen asked.

"It's old. Really old. It shouldn't even exist." The doctor said "there's only one creature known to use this poison."

"It's thought to be extinct. Or was" Missy said "the Acrus species. We were told stories about this when we were younger"

The doctor nodded her head "they used to be nicknamed the people snatchers. It's the way they work. They only exist as small particles in the air. And they pick a target, getting inside their body to use as a host" she explained "their whole personality changed. While you couldn't see any difference in appearance, they started to act very strangely. More bloodthirsty. Having a deep need to kill everything and everyone around them. Including themselves if need be. That's why they were thought to be extinct. It's thought to see life as a threat. And automatically finds any way to end it. Not their fault, it's in their genes. But galaxies have been destroyed because of them"

You all looked between you with shocked expressions, and you internally cursed yourself for giving away the alcohol. You really needed a drink after hearing that. There was a bloody people snatcher thingy out there!

"So, all we need to know is who's the host?" Gwen asked.

"Yes, but that may be a bit difficult. We're in the middle of the big city of Cardiff where there are humans everywhere. It's hard to tell who that one person may be when they look the same" the doctor said.

"I think I can help with that" Tosh piped up.

She turned around and you all followed behind her. You were getting increasingly aware of how many people were crowded around you. You didn't want any of them to touch you. You were starting to hate crowds more and more. Kind of like getting lost. That idea still sent shivers down your spine.

"We have the timings of every death of those people there, and we found a pattern in the rift. Look" Tosh spoke, pointing at the screens "every time there was a death, there was also a spike in time energy being spilt from the rift."

The doctor furrowed her brows "the deaths were all linked then" she mumbled to herself quietly.

"Doctor..." Jack spoke up "it's like the rift is getting slowly opened up. We've checked everything here though it's all in order. Either the rift is naturally weakening in its boundaries or...this person snatcher is strong enough to open the rift itself. But I doubt that's possible.."

"Never underestimate them" Missy interrupted "they may be in the same form as a human at the moment, but they're incredibly resourceful."

"That's the thing, these murders, they've happened around the rift." Gwen said.

"Have you got any cctv footage of the murders?" The doctor asked.

You swallowed nervously at that, shifting about nervously.

"I don't want to see that" You whispered under my breath.

Missy seemed to have heard as she took your hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. The doctor must have also heard because she glanced in concern your way briefly. You shook your head, giving her a small smile to reassure her that you were okay. The truth was, you really didn't want to be here right now. You just wanted to get under your covers in your bed and not talk to anyone for the rest of the day. You felt awful inside. Everything was starting to become too much on you now and you wanted it to all just stop.

"The cctv footage was all erased. I've tried to get it back but...there's some sort of layer of security on it. I can't get through to see it. We can't even see their last moments no matter how much I try" Tosh told you all, shaking her head with a small, sad sigh.

"Show me. I can guarantee you I'll be able to get through that." The doctor said, stepping towards her.

"Tosh is amazing with computers, if she can't get in..I don't think anyone will." Gwen said.

The doctor rolled her eyes "but you don't have a sonic and over two thousand years of experience from watching the very first computer be created to the very last, not only on earth, but on most planets in the universe at different times. So, don't worry, I think I'll be able to get through" she said with a smile and a confident nod.

Missy groaned in annoyance "show off" she muttered.

"I think it's hot" Yaz grinned, her arms crossed as she eyes the doctor and sent her a wink.

The doctor smiled at that, her cheeks turning slightly red before she turned back to the computers. Tosh nodded her head and put up the few hours where the footage was missing. And the doctor got to work.

"Once we find the cctv footage, we can see how they've been poisoned and what the person we are looking for looks like. Then I'm assuming you can do background checks on them" the doctor said, getting her sonic out and messing with the computer.

"Of course we can." Owen replied.

The doctor continued to work at the footage of all the people, typing on the keyboards all the way to getting our wires from behind and inside the computers. There were a few sparks which caused you all to jump back slightly in shock. The doctor continued on unphased.

This went on for a while, the doctor rambling on about what she was doing. Missy at some point went down to help her and eventually they both popped up with proud smiled on their faces.

"There we go! Now, let's see who's behind all of this mess" the doctor said.

"Then track them down and...do whatever you want with them" Missy added, looking slightly bored all of a sudden.

You all crowded around the computers and watched as the murders unravelled.